Author Topic: Would any of the Cunard Queens be recommissioned in a war?  (Read 2722 times)

Cruise_Princess

In the unlikely event ( God forbid) of us ever being involved in a full scale war ( The Falklands are on the outskirts again aren't they here?)  Do you think the Government would recommission one of the Cunarders as a troop ship..maybe QM2?  Do you think they are up to the job this time? Or are they just too over the top to be considered for war work?    There is not an awful lot of open deck space now on board these ships.......What do you think?

RmsAquitania

Re: Would any of the Cunard Queens be recommissioned in a war?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2010, 02:55 PM »
I think the QM2 could handle the south atlantic but i think it would be too much for the vista sisters to handle for prolonged periods.

Offline Matt

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2010, 04:40 PM »
When QE2 was used in the War, Cunard was owned within the UK, if i am not mistaken. Now Cunard is owned by Carnival Corp (Outside of the UK), would they (British Gov't) have any rights to commisssion one of the ships as a troop vessel?

Matt
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2010, 04:44 PM »
As I understand it, its nothing to do with ownership of the ship, just the flag under which it flies.

I'm sure QM2 could go to war - but she doesn't have the same cargo facilities as the QE2 had, nor the same range when travelling at speed (?), but maybe someone could correct me on this. 
I suspect that her decks could be adapted to take a couple of helicopters though! On the plus side, she doesn't have the aluminium fire hazard that QE2 had.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Matt

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2010, 06:11 PM »
As I understand it, its nothing to do with ownership of the ship, just the flag under which it flies.

I was wondering this Rob, but i thought the other option seemed more realistic. Thanks for the correction.
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2010, 11:12 PM »
By the time the Vista sisters got there, chances are the war would be over....Lets hope its not put to the test.

Isnt this something to do with the STUFT Ships Taken Up From Trade.Wasnt one of the Carnival ships used as a  temp housing block in one of the recent hurricanes. And wasnt  the Cunard Countess called up as well for the Falklands War.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2010, 11:26 PM »
I think if there was any requisitioning going on it would probably be a mixture of bulk carriers for cargo and smaller cruise ships than QM2 because they could be more easily hidden - just think of the size of QM2's radar target compared to QE2 and Canberra.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Chris

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2010, 07:32 AM »
When QE2 was STUFT, Cunard was owned by Trafalgar House Co.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

richc1977

« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2010, 01:28 PM »
Can the QM2's gas turbines - which she needs for maximum speed running - be used for prolonged periods, i.e. continuusly?  If not woudl she be quick enough?

The QE2 was just plain fast, she didn't need any fancy combined fuel systems.

If QE2 is scrapped, will it change what you think of Cunard?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 54
Views: 17326
Last post Dec 12, 2017, 01:25 PM
by Clydebuilt1971
The Cunard Story Exhibition aboard RMS Queen Mary

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 0
Views: 846
Last post Nov 16, 2020, 07:26 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Cunard's new ship: Queen Anne

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 73
Views: 10467
Last post Feb 05, 2024, 07:00 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Cunard in the Med in the 1800s

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Ships

Replies: 1
Views: 1992
Last post Dec 26, 2011, 08:51 PM
by CAP
'Cunard crew member lost at sea'.

Started by TwynkleBoard RMS Queen Mary 2