Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Whickers World - A Fast Boat to China  (Read 15532 times)

Offline Twynkle

Whickers World - A Fast Boat to China
« on: Apr 12, 2009, 03:20 PM »

Alan Whicker - Whickers World!
He originally travelled there on QE2; there's a DVD that includes the programme 'Fast boat to China'.
This shows QE2 being painted etc in China...Particularly interesting in the light of current discussion on another thread.

He is revisiting the Far East on Wednesday 15 April, 9.00pm BBC2.
Not sure whether this will include his time aboard QE2. 
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:28 PM »
I think Whicker's World on QE2 may deserve its own topic...

Check this out

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2018, 07:58 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:13 AM »
I think Whicker's World on QE2 may deserve its own topic...
This programme was really my first introduction to the world of QE2 .The programmes saw me glued to the TV and as a teenager the whole ship seemed a fantasy flaoting island. I can never tire watching them and of course the excellent comentary by the great man himself Mr Alan Whicker. His choice of words are just so fitting.

Am l correct in saying this wasnt a World cruise, But The Great Pacific and Oriental cruise. And he had to do the cruise the year before to make sure there was enough subject matter.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:21 AM »
You are correct in what you say Myles - it was a Circle Pacific and he did do the 1982 full world cruise to get story ideas. He complained afterwards that the characters were better in 1982 than in 1983!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:16 PM »
Does anyone know where we could get a copy of that programme?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:29 PM »

;)  and  :-X

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:32 PM »
Is there a copy of Whicker's World - Fast Boat To China on VHS or even DVD? I'd love to see the programme again. So many memories.
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2010, 12:30 AM »
From Whicker's World : QE2 Crew Football Match in China! The QE2 Crew football team play a friendly match in Tsingtao, China before a crowd of 20,000.....YES 20,000!!!

QE2 1984 - Caviar, Champagne and Crew Beer!
Posted by  adl21er to YouTube
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2010, 02:15 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

adlersc

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:34 AM »
A selection of video clips taken on board the QE2 during the 1984 World Cruise for Whickers World BBC Programme "A Fast Boat to China". A lot of them feature the crew so see if you can see yourself. I was on board as a Queen's Grill Waiter at the time and have make a "small" appearnace. Any comments would be much appreciated and please spread the word.....

Link to videos here :- https://www.youtube.com/adl21er
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2010, 05:08 PM by adlersc »

adlersc

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:59 PM »

I have contacted the BBC and they assure me there was no official video/DVD released of this programme. I have managed to obtain a copy of the full set of programmes on two DVD's. The quality isn't brilliant but I've put some clips on YouTube which some people have posted here where you can have a look.

If you or anyone wants a copy then I would be only too pleased to copy and send them to you them at a nominal cost.

Regards

Steven

Offline pete cain

Whickers world vids
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2010, 02:52 PM »
 Don't intend to clog up the forum with links ,but have a look at this & all the others available here, QE2 Hong Kong makeover, health & safety what's that??  https://www.youtube.com/adl21er#p/a/u/0/zMfMWDRRy6Mhttp://

Offline citrail

Re: Whickers World - A Fast Boat to China
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2010, 11:48 PM »
After admiring QE2 from a distance from the day she was launched, it had always been my ambition to go aboard and sail on her.
I watched and recorded this program on VHS, but missing the first part both times it was shown. After the program I just had to do it, so in November 1985 I did! ;D  Our cabin steward on that trip turned out to be one of the stewards who featured quite a lot in this program. You can see him on the 2nd video , reply#7 at 4.50 playing darts wearing a funny hat in the pig & whistle.

I still have the video but haven't watched it for some years, not sure what condition it will be in now. I remember recording it on our first Hitachi top loading video machine :o
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 12:00 AM by citrail »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Thats great Myles!  That looks like Andrew Nelder in the PG in that photo (with the tache) ... although i don't remember seeing him in the programme.  He didn't look much different in that room 25 years later (and he may be reading this, since he's a member of this forum!).
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2010, 04:33 PM »
It was  a young Andrew Nelder indeed, he also featured in the little Berlitz guides in the 80s
Now if only he could be persuaded to impart some of his stories on here , or even write a book....

adlersc

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2010, 01:50 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Andy Nelder along with Kevin Dunne (Princess Grill Waiter) who later became a head waiter and then quite a senior officer for Cunard. Kevin recently went back to sea after a short spell managing a hotel here in Dorset,UK

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2011, 03:02 PM »
What did the crew think of the filming? did they enjoy the exposure or did they find it a pain? l guess some of the passengers who saw this must have seen QE2 in a whole new light...and just think all that free publicity.

Patrick

« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Did i hear you say that Andrew Nelder was a member of this forum ?. I would love to send him a message as he was my rezzie manager in the columbia many many years ago.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2011, 10:20 PM »
Noted TV journalist Alan Whicker joined QE2 during her 1983 Circle Pacific cruise to film four episodes of his famous BBC1 programme ‘Whicker’s World’ (which ran from 1959 to 1988). The QE2 programme, ‘Fast Boat to China’, was broadcast in 1984 and the episodes covered the cruise from Papeete (Tahiti) on 9 February to her maiden arrival at Qingdao (Tsingtao) on 19 March.

The episodes were called:

1.            “I’m a well adjusted old lady…”
               (Tahiti – Wellington)

2.             “We’re a little breed on our own…”
               (Sydney – Whitsunday Islands)

3.             “She’s allowed to – and he’s not…”
              (Port Moresby – Pattaya)

4.             “A different adventure every day…”
               (Hong Kong – Tsingtao)

Alan Whicker interviewed passengers and crew about their lives and association with the ship and he was given a great deal of access to behind-the-scenes areas and crew living spaces and accommodation. The programme caused some upset among some passengers once the interviews with crew members had been broadcast as the crew did not hold back on their thoughts and this resulted in Cunard forever being cautious with future television projects and access behind-the-scenes. I also heard that crew members’ wives and girlfriends at home were not pleased to see some of the antics of their men, especially in Thailand.

Also included was an interview with Nigel Broackes, Chairman of Trafalgar House, who was travelling on board in the Queen Mary Suite. He made several points about QE2 in response to questions, including:

“The ship fills from the top downwards. The marketing problem is with the middle and lower priced accommodation. We’re aiming to fill the ship, and the marketing effort, which is quite an expensive matter, really is directed at the middle and lower accommodation because the luxury and grand luxe sells itself.

“The ship cost about £33 million to build. She’d cost today about £200 million. The P&O Company are building a new one in Finland [Royal Princess] which is about half the size of this and that’s costing £80 million.

“We couldn’t have built the QE2. It was much more sensible to buy Cunard.

“[Cunard]… was in too much trouble in an executive sense to sort itself out. It had to be sorted out by a new owner.

Alan Whicker pointed out that Broackes had concentrated on buying legends (newspapers, the Ritz, QE2 etc) and Broackes agreed saying they were “good” names. In response to a question on whether if he’d known in 1971 what he knew in 1983 Broackes answered “definitely”.

When asked about QE2’s future, Broackes responded:

“A very happy future for 12 years minimum and it could be 25. The only things that will put this ship out of business will be technical obsolescence. If new techniques come along that are far less fuel intensive and things like that but I don’t see the slightest prospect of that happening. I’m very optimistic indeed about this ship”.

Various other facts to be revealed about QE2:

•   She cost £140,000 every day to operate.

•   Broackes claimed it was luxury, size and speed what sold her.

•   She earned 85% of her revenues from foreigners which were a very important source of foreign exchange for the country.

•   In 1983 QE2 was expected to cost about £45 million to operate and she was expected to earn £50 million in 1983 – a 10% margin which Broackes described as “really extremely good”.

•   Oil costs were greater than labour costs but Trafalgar House / Cunard were benefitting from having their costs in pound sterling and their revenues in US dollars.

Cunard President Ralph Bahna was also interviewed at the World Cruise Dinner held in Sydney.

The programme also showed had badly QE2’s light grey hull was coping and amazing footage of the ship being repainted and refreshed by hundreds of workers during her stay in Hong Kong (13 – 16 March) was shown. Work included repainting the hull, superstructure and funnel, chipping old paint off the lifeboat davits and repainting them, cleaning ceilings and recaulking the teak decking. In addition one of the three boilers was worked on at a cost of £250,000. The Six Deck working alleyway and crew staircases were lined with Chinese setting up stalls to sell goods to the crew.

One memorable scene showed crew members throwing carpet which had been damaged during a flood in the Columbia Restaurant being thrown out of one of the Quarter Deck windows (outside the Library) into the sea while the ship was moving.

A football match between the crew and citizens of Tsingtao was held.

During the programme Alan Whicker described QE2 in excellent terms including:

“She’s more than just a ship; she’s an event!”

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2011, 12:00 AM »
Its a dvd l never tire of watching
The best TV journalist on the best ship in the world
Its really a classic, why the TV company never released it officially is beyond me.

bobso

« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:02 AM »
A good friend of mine gave me an early Christmas gift. It is the "Fast Boat to China" -DVD. What a simply FANTASTIC programme to watch. Lots of good shots of the staff at work and gives me the correct colours of all the different uniforms for my forthcoming build of the model of QE2.