Author Topic: Special request regarding QE2's original funnel  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Andrew Collier

Special request regarding QE2's original funnel
« on: Mar 30, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Hi Eyerybody,

For my various model projects, does anyone have, or know a book/website with a really good clear quite close up photo of the 'slopey bit' (assume a cover over some uptakes entering the funnel or similar?) behind the original funnel in it.

I am modifying a plastic kit to get the funnel completly correct, few errors in the kit, and also drawing up the funnel for my larger scratch build.

Have been looking at hundreds of photos of this part of the ship, in its original condition but can't quite find the detail i need.

Any suggestion most gratefully received!

Cheers  8)
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 01:49 PM by Lynda »
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Twynkle

Special request regarding the original funnel
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2010, 12:39 PM »
Hi Andytooo!

I wonder -you don't mention an angle or position that would help you!

However, there are 516 images of her funnel on flickr!

Here's just one!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanmorrison/1412149011/
Credit to Alan Morrison
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2011, 11:34 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Andrew Collier

Re: Special request regarding the original funnel
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Hey Rosie, thanks for that, but it is specifically the white slopey bit that joins onto the rear end of the funnel, not the funnel itself im after, and it has to be the Original Funnel, the whole area was changed in teh rebuild and I have good photos for that, but not a suitable close up for this area as built :-(

Thanks!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2010, 02:03 PM »
Andy - Have you seen these - enlarged? - can't find anything else (via google>QE2>white funnel!)
http://www.vads.ahds.ac.uk/diad/article.php?title=244&year=1969&article=d.244.35I know there's a shot on an early model of her, here in the youtube clips in the gallery
Will look again there, when time stands still!!
Rosie

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2010, 02:13 PM »
Yup, seen those, they awesome! page 47 of the qe2 edition has almost what i need, but its a model, and too small.

So close but still so far.... ta xx

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2010, 03:30 PM »
Andy, I'll check my photos.  I know the exact piece you are talking about.  Its a pretty simple piece as far as shaping goes with only two creases running from a vertex where the "slopey bit" meets the funnel to the two aft corners of the aft end. However I believe the width length and slope of it is more of what you are looking for.  I'll look around. 

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2010, 03:54 PM »
Andy,
    Some very good photos of the "slopey bit" on a model on this webpage <dead link removed> although I think the black vent on the spine of the funnel is too wide and because the creases of the "slopey bit" are scaled to the black spine, it makes that component a bit off.  Short of a technical drawing you'll need to use a bit of artistic license.  Whoever built this model sure did.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2021, 06:46 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2010, 04:04 PM »
Bob, thanks for that.

Some of those picture do show exactly what i need, I am still looking for a photo of the part on the real ship, but those model photos are better than anything I have found so far!

The really annoying thing is, I actually fo have a tech drawing which shows the exact shape of that part from above, and the side, so i am almost there, the trouble i have is that the drawing doesn't show the exact details of the short vertical bit between the deck and the sloping sections on top.

If that makes sense?

Basically, what I am tryign to see is if the sloping parts over hang the little vertical 'walls' in the same way the windscoop overhangs a little 'wall' under it, beteen it and the deck it is mounted on, this is clear in most photos. but no photo of the real ship confirms where there is this little overhang or not.

This model suggests a very little overhang, much less than the funnel.

Cheers 8)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2010, 04:28 PM »
Andy - with any luck Stowaway2K will become aware of your plight before too long;
it's quite likely that he might have a photograph of the genuine article!

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2010, 09:02 PM »
How big is your model?  Must be pretty big for such a detail to matter.  Or you may be like me and it will haunt you 'til the day you die if you don't get it quite right!

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2010, 09:16 PM »
There are two models, a plastic kit 1:450 scale, just over 2 ft long and the large project, a working model at 1:96, approx 10 ft long.

The large one is still being drawn up, I am using the plastic kit as a kinda trial run, experimenting with details, colours, etc, getting things right before the big build.

I currently have nowhere to build the large model, so this is keeping my creative side happy until I can get stuck in, hopefully later in the year.

The plastic kits has several errors, so it is a fun challenge putting them right, all good practice, a good test!

In both cases, I am like you, it just has to be as right as I possibly can....

cos918

« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Hi there
There is this web site which has some good photo of the new funnel . I have found these 3 photo of the old funnel hope they are of use.

I have also done the1/450 kit .I am intending on doing another one of her after her last refit. Then one day do a 1:100 version but I am still collecting information for that.

John

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560353671ICAiWV?start=0