Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Sail Away Experiences  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Lynda Bradford

Sail Away Experiences
« on: Mar 29, 2010, 09:36 PM »
I have always found the sail away from ports to be a most memorable experience when cruising on the QE2.  People turned out on the dockside to wave her off and small sailing boats following her as she left the port which made it a special occasion both for passengers and for those who wished her well on her journey.

I have attached photos of such a sail away from Quebec when she visited on her last transatlantic season in 2003. Despite the fact that it was a working day it seemed like hundred of people had turned out to see the ship leave.

Anyone fortunate enough to be on board when she was in maiden ports of call throughout her career or for celebrations like her 40th anniversary cruise I am sure will have many special memories.  I was not on board for her 40th anniversary trip although I made a point of being in Greenock for the sail away celebrations on that day and was so pleased to be one of those who waved her off on that great occasion.  

It would be fantastic to hear other forum users QE2 sail away experiences.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2010, 10:54 AM by Lynda »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Sail Away Experiences
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2010, 11:36 PM »
1987 - Sailaway from Bremen, after re-engining - without exagerration - one of the 5 best days *of my life*.  Extremely exciting for all concerned.  Thousands of people lining the banks all the way for seemingly hours.

sailaways from Southampton - superb & exciting - although i have to say the scratchy record screeching "last night of the proms" music on the final season wasn't my thing.
Sailaway from Lisbon - superb!!
sailaway from Gibraltar - also superb - big party up on funnel bar etc.
Sailaway from Barcelona (a final call) - nothing.  nadda.  Not even a toot on the horn.  Disappointing.
Sailaway from Cannes (a final call) - quite nice - lots of wee boats out to see us off - but again no horn toot or announcement or anything.
Sailaway from Alghero - stunning - amazing weather/scenery.
Sailaway from zeebrugge - i was asleep in a hungover/bad flu-ey coma...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2010, 11:33 PM »
Sailaways on QE2 were something special. People came out in their numbers to see the ship leave the port. I shall always remember us arriving and leaving the Grand Harbour, Valletta, Malta on her maiden call to the island in 1998. Thousands of people lined the streets to have a glimpse of the ship and it was just something I will never forget. Departures from Southampton were often a very low key affair but when visiting other ports on her, a sailiaway party was not to be missed!
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2010, 08:38 AM »
I wonder why the brass band sailaways were stopped? Couldnt someone have thought to invite the local brass bands from the area. Not only would it be good experience for them, it would have enhanced the passengers sailaway.. and perhaps stopped that dreaded taped noises.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2010, 05:18 PM by Cunardqueen »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2010, 01:00 PM »
I wonder why the brass band sailaways were stopped? Couldnt someone have thought to invite the local brass bands from the area. Not olny would it be good experience for them, it would have enhanced the passengers sailaway.. and perhaps stopped that dreaded taped noises.

Yeah, it seemed a bit strange that they stopped, especially as P&O usually have a brass band playing to see the ships off.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2010, 06:56 PM »
Think its just the general dumbing down of the Cruise industry...it  used to be something very special  to take a sea voyage and the Brass Band made it feel even more so...now its just a package holiday for the masses...and so many ships sailing in and out of Southampton probably not the manpower to do all the sailings etc....I don;t know if they got paid for it but would assume they got something..and its just been cut from the budget...

Remember when we had streamers at sailaway  PLUS complementary glass of champagne!!

Now they want the passengers INSIDE the ship to spend money in the bars, spa and on board shopping etc.....

It all comes down to MONEY

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2010, 09:55 PM »
Think its just the general dumbing down of the Cruise industry...it  used to be something very special  to take a sea voyage and the Brass Band made it feel even more so...now its just a package holiday for the masses...and so many ships sailing in and out of Southampton probably not the manpower to do all the sailings etc....I don;t know if they got paid for it but would assume they got something..and its just been cut from the budget...

Remember when we had streamers at sailaway  PLUS complementary glass of champagne!!

Now they want the passengers INSIDE the ship to spend money in the bars, spa and on board shopping etc.....

It all comes down to MONEY

Cruise Princess, you have hit the nail on the head there. Sadly, cruise lines are starting to get rid of traditional things such as streamers and free champagne at sailing, now they want as much money as possible, even though passengers have already paid a lot of money to be on their ships.

Offline Matt

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2010, 04:03 AM »
I wonder why the brass band sailaways were stopped? Couldnt someone have thought to invite the local brass bands from the area. Not only would it be good experience for them, it would have enhanced the passengers sailaway.. and perhaps stopped that dreaded taped noises.

There was a Brass Band playing in Fremantle for the final departure of QE2, in 2008, and also there was one (Three stages on the day) brass band playing when the QM2 sailed off in March last month. However its not for every cruise ship!

Matt
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2010, 05:50 AM »
There were bands playing as we sailed out of ports in Norway
and the steel band on board continued as champagne was served.
Sadly, no streamers like there were as we left Fremantle in 1973!

As we sailed out of Norwegian ports following the Final calls in 2008, it was the whistles as we left, and the Norwegian QE2 Appreciation Society's salute of cannon fire that immediately come to mind, as well as that fantastic send off out of Stavanger; these remain some of the best memories - Ever!
In Stavanger, the sea was covered in white foam; the wakes of hundreds of small boats all determined to 'help' (?!) us on our way.  (images will follow, before too long!)

There's also more about Sailaway music etc on this link
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,157.0.html
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2010, 06:30 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2010, 11:11 AM »
I look forward to seeing your photos Rosie.

I always liked the sail away experiences from Norway ports as there always seemed to be lots of boats following the ship and bands playing as we left the port. 

Another aspect of sail aways that I have just thought of is when there was a running commentary provided when we were leaving ports.  One memorable occasion was when leaving NY.  The person giving the comentary gave some history and information about the Manhattan skyline which gave just another aspect of the sail away experience. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

RmsAquitania

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2010, 10:49 PM »
Always loved the night time sailaway party out on deck leaving Gibralter with the steel band on deck. Malta always seemed to give us a nice send off with people lining the bastions cheering and waving flags, and the final departure from Trieste they had a brass band playing us off and streamers, oh and lots of school kids brought to cheer and wave us off.

Offline skilly56

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2010, 10:58 PM »
Andy,

I was on that cruise - where were you hiding??

Cheers

Skilly

Offline bswan

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2010, 12:49 AM »
Sailways are always very exciting! we had a wonderful send of on one of our cruises on qe2 from fremantle and what a wonderful send off that was.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2010, 01:52 AM »
my favorite sailaway...  ;)

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2010, 09:50 AM »
Thanks Stowaway2K.  Hyacinth on the QE2 was so funny and I had forgotton about her sailaway experience.  What a good laugh I had watching the clip and what a good start to a dreary Sunday morning.
www.qe2event.com

RmsAquitania

« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Skilly, normally found in the golden lion before and after dinner, smoling section(shamed) in the mauretania, then yacht club. Finishing up sitting outside said yacht club till the very early ( more like late ) hours of the morning.       Andy.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2010, 10:56 PM »
So many sailaway experiences...but Cobh does stand out on the final farewell UK  voyage,,,everyone pierside had a white hanky to wave...it was like going back in time..the streets were lined with people...it was very memorable...

No doubt there are hundreds more that will come back to me any time now!!  Like Liverpools very first call in 1990..&.Greenock final call 2008...
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2010, 05:09 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Andy F

« Reply #17 on: Aug 03, 2011, 01:02 PM »
The most memorable yet saddest for me has to be the final departure from Southampton on 11 Nov   
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2011, 10:08 PM »
'Missing the Boat...'
Not exactly 'Sail-away Experiences', in many respects the opposite!
Reading of JLB's experience set me wondering....
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3618.0.html

QE2 patiently waited alongside on several occasions.
The Pursers Office naming passengers / partners who hadn't reported back on board,
we never did discover whether she sailed without them.
Rumours spread - 'you have to pay a fine if you are late - what if they were taken ill - they don't speak a word of English - maybe they are deaf / locked in the bathroom' etc
A family member was late once (not through his own fault), and it wasn't till 2 ports later that he caught up.
He received a justifiably severe reprimand...this was retracted once the reasons were understood.
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2011, 07:03 PM »
I did hear of a couple of shoreside engineers and a load of spares (Weirs Pumps sticks in the mind) who spent a few days chasing round the Med after the Ship. Their initial flight had been delayed and they arrived at the dockside to see her sailing away. Back to the airport, try and find a flight as near to her next port as possible and arrange transport from there to the docks. And again they got there just in time to wave her off. They did manage to get aboard on the third attempt I think.

Full Away on Passage.