Author Topic: BBC Timewatch Final Voyage programme  (Read 25551 times)

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
Re: QE2 on BBC Television UK - 28th February
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Just seen the programme. You are quite right - why oh why did Britain not keep her? I got ratty when Carol Marlowe (Cunard) was "corporate" extolling the new QE (and the dreaded QV) as "successors". AArgh!

Cheers!

Edmund

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:09 PM »
F A N T A S T I C

Loved every minute of it, and they packed a lot in... her 60s funkiness, and her beauty, and her strength and power - and her BRITISHNESS!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:19 PM »
Superb Indeed !!! lets hope they release a dvd of the programme, for some reason cant get into the chatroom, unless lm banned after last night ;)
 Nice to see some faces from past voyages
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2009, 11:07 PM »

Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2009, 11:09 PM »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2009, 11:11 PM »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2009, 11:33 PM »

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2009, 12:01 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Twynkle

Hello Everyone,

Wondering what you thought?..'Spose like her life with us, I wish it had been  longer (the programme).

The clips we've been lucky enough to see here on the Forum have been equally good too!

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2009, 09:48 AM by twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline hollihedge

« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2009, 11:52 PM »
Excellent programme, showing her at her very best, and very poignant.  Excellent screenshots too.  Just wish the programme could have been much longer...
Gill

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2009, 12:17 AM »
Fabulous film -- beautifully done. Pia and our Mum and I watched together in Ireland, just as we had cruised together on QE2. As it happened, we had quite decent sound with a half-decent picture. Looking forward to seeing the details on the DVD!

So much to enjoy, to remember about QE2, and to take in about that final voyage... That super sequence from the early years! And the regular announcements -- Ian McNaught from the bridge, keeping his cool and his sense of humour all the way to Dubai (admirable!), and the Officer of the Watch (first time in my QE2 experience that this was a woman -- must have been Rosie!!) giving the regular navigational information.

Thank you, Rob, for those superb photos... catching those fleeting moments from the film. Each of them with a special memory.

We could have watched many more hours of QE2...  :'(

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 01, 2009, 06:25 AM »
Al I can say is thank you for the superb pictures. It's so sad to see her languishing in Dubai.

Cheers!
Edmund

Offline rjms74

« Reply #31 on: Mar 01, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Hi Isabelle, yes interesting to hear a lady officer of the watch from the bridge - this happened on my A Colours cruise & the young officer in question coincidentally only lived about 5 miles from where I live and her parents were joining the ship after the one I was on. This was the cruise where Captain Perkins spoke only once at midday & it was a 20 night cruise!

Kind Regards,

Richard

Offline Andy F

« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2009, 05:07 PM »
For Andrew and anyone else who may have missed the programme when it went out last evening, you can find the programme here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00j3hz3/Timewatch_2008_2009_QE2_The_Final_Voyage/

Edit by Moderator on 26 July 2009 : Programme no longer here, just a reference to it

« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2009, 09:31 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Online Twynkle

« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:41 AM »
Here's an opportunity to comment on the review, the QE2, and the  Timewatch programme - The Times - 2nd March 2009!

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article5817866.ece
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

NairB

« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2009, 01:51 AM »
Gosh Everybody....

I had a tear in my eye watching that show. How proud, angry and determined I am now to get her back or do EVEN BETTER and build another world classic!!!

I know Rob doesn't want the forum to become "A get the QE2 Back forum"....but I can't help it. Surely an entire nation outwith this forum MUST feel the same way, especially after that show OR did they watch that silly Ant & Dec show on British ITV instead???

Anyway, WE CAN build another....WE REALLY CAN....if the public want it, we can build another, on the BAE shipyard further up the Clyde. It will give the WORLD another example of the feelings of todays Glasgow's sons, daughters, grandsons and grandaughters (after they learn the River Clyde's history, learning what they would like to see in a new ship).....a ship more beautiful and perfect than what our granparents built ......this replacement can be bigger, better, more streamline and an absolute example of what each and everyone of us with a voice and sheer detemination on this Great Island within Great Britain CAN achieve. The very thought of todays Glasgows young folk contributing to a BRAND NEW beauty, is magic...it's in their blood, so I know it can be achieved. ;)

I don't want to talk politics or money......EDUCATION and the proper upbringing can make it happen parents!!!!

All WE need to do is believe it. Look at how WE built the QE2, union strikes, underbudget, conflict and STILL.....WE delivered the WORLD with the GREATEST liner ever.....ON TIME!!!!!

LETS DO IT AGAIN.....LETS BUILD ANOTHER BEAUTY AND TEACH THE KIDS!!!!!!!

The QE2 was an example of how WE can all achieve something in life...just look at her and what she has done.....lets keep her legacy ALIVE....it CAN be done again regardless what her good old master said.....its the people that decide whether or not it CAN CONTINUE....and those words came from the GRANDSON who's GRANDFATHER that helped build her!!!

-NairB  ;)

(As a nation & nations, we can do anything....just BELIEVE!!!)

ps...One billion pounds and belief can make it happen.....I have ONE of the two....maybe that can be good enough ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009, 06:48 AM by NairB »

Online Twynkle

« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2009, 02:46 PM »

The quotes below are from today's (UK) Guardian online  Media section

'In the 8pm hour on BBC2, a Timewatch documentary called QE2: the Final Voyage about the end of the famous liner averaged 2 million viewers and a 9% share'.

"• To contact the MediaGuardian news desk email editor@mediaguardian.co.uk or phone 020 3353 3857. For all other inquiries please call the main Guardian switchboard on 020 3353 2000.

• If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly "for publication"."

The article's link is http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/mar/02/tv-ratings-colour-of-money
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009, 02:48 PM by twynkle »

hatchndee

« Reply #36 on: Mar 05, 2009, 10:35 AM »
hi nair.
they say a ships not a living thing well i defie anyone to tell me this.having been at sea and living day in day out there like part of the family.the history the blood sweat and tears that go into these great ladys of the oceans the shipyard personal are and righty so proud men and women. and what a tribute it would be to bring this living breathing majestic lady back to the clyde for a monument for every ship yard worker past and present on the cylde and beyond. :) :) :)

NairB

« Reply #37 on: Mar 06, 2009, 01:37 PM »
hi nair.
they say a ships not a living thing well i defie anyone to tell me this.having been at sea and living day in day out there like part of the family.the history the blood sweat and tears that go into these great ladys of the oceans the shipyard personal are and righty so proud men and women. and what a tribute it would be to bring this living breathing majestic lady back to the clyde for a monument for every ship yard worker past and present on the cylde and beyond. :) :) :)

Hi hatch,

Well said, well said my friend. ;D

KEV

Re: QE2 on BBC Television UK - 28th February-Timewatch
« Reply #38 on: Mar 11, 2009, 10:34 PM »
I watched it and really enjoyed it- I think it covered everything across the years quite well and it was nice to hear people's recollections amongst passengers and crew .And what a poignant moment when Capt McNaught signed the book. Don't know if it was just the editing as I wasn't lucky enough to be on board for the final voyage but it looked a much more subdued affair (which I can understand) than the partying on board in the Med last summer.  Do those on board feel the documentary gave a true reflection of the mood on the ship?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2 on BBC Television UK (Timewatch Final Voyage programme)
« Reply #39 on: Jun 30, 2009, 12:11 AM »
I just watched the Timewatch programme about Concorde tonight.

Its a wonderful programme and its the programme the slightly embarassing QE2 one should have been.

Such a shame.