Author Topic: Famous/Well Known/Celebrity Passengers on QM2  (Read 2137 times)

Cruise_Princess

Famous/Well Known/Celebrity Passengers on QM2
« on: Mar 09, 2010, 07:28 PM »
from the maiden voyage of QM2....

Shirley Bassey was on board as the main star... obviously!  One day whilst browsing around the onboard shops I was looking at something in the shop window..thinking my mum was standing beside me..I said oooo isnt that nice? ( cant remember what it actually was)  the voice replied yes its rather lovely isnt it...I turned round to see I was standing right next to SHIRLEY BASSEY!!! II   Complete with outsize sunglasses  (indoors!!)  I was speechless to say the least...and ran down to the cabin to hurriedly write my postcard home....

Having a great time....just been shopping with SHIRL!!!

Note  ...nothing about the brand spanking new multi million dollar ship...it was all about Shirley Bassey!!!   Much more Classy!!  what a memory!
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2010, 10:59 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Chris Thompson

Re: Famous/Well Known/Celebrity Passengers on QM2
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2018, 09:56 PM »
Hi Folks,
bearing in mind the number of Famous folks that cruised on the QE2, how is the QM2 doing at attracting celebrities??????

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2018, 10:30 PM »
Quite well I think. Maybe we don't hear about these passengers as much these days because of the rise of social media and other "noise" in the media world, depending on who you ask, and these passenger's desire to stay incognito as a result unless onboard as a guest speaker. QM2 doing more transatlantics than ever these days would only increase the numbers of these passengers I would've thought, as a ferry service, despite the length of the crossings now.

For example: my Dad saw Celia Imrie on QE2 and subsequently on QM2 if my memory is correct (she's a regular passenger and famous English actress).
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2018, 10:31 PM »
Alright I'd guess, both passengers and as working entertainers...we crossed the Atlantic with Lenny Kravitz once, as a passenger, then we sailed with Gregory Porter who was entertaining...also there have been numerous speakers who are well known in their fields...

Offline tdickson

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2018, 12:10 PM »
We recently did a Transatlantic NY-Southampton (M829A) 4th -10th August 2018 and I had the pleasure of bumping into Sir Jackie Stewart several times during the crossing. Later in the week he did a lecture in Illuminations.
Another Crossing I believe Ed Sheeran was onboard and stayed in an inside stateroom all week whilst writing his current Album

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2018, 02:15 PM »
We recently did a Transatlantic NY-Southampton (M829A) 4th -10th August 2018 and I had the pleasure of bumping into Sir Jackie Stewart several times during the crossing. Later in the week he did a lecture in Illuminations.
Another Crossing I believe Ed Sheeran was onboard and stayed in an inside stateroom all week whilst writing his current Album

So what did he do for the other 23hr 58 minutes of each day?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2018, 09:50 PM »
  So what did he do for the other 23hr 58 minutes of each day?

One hopes the cabin was soundproffed and locked from the outside and no chance of anything or anyone escaping from the cabin. He has the face for Radio, one has a lot of sympathy for the cabins next door listening  to the wailing and screetching.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2018, 10:14 PM »
We were on board at the same time as Ed Sheeran
One of the deck one ‘lounges’ became his recording studio!
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 10:16 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.