Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The Bad?  (Read 10203 times)

Pat Curry

Re: The Bad?
« Reply #40 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:35 AM »
Well I never  :o

The very day I wrote this, see:  https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3796.msg40891.html#new a QM2 accident is reported.

Crew to blame?  Or was it an example of "what the pax don't see, the management don't fix.".

You decide.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2011, 02:06 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #41 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:58 AM »
What?  Has QM2 had an accident this morning?  I can't see anything on the news?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Andy F

« Reply #42 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:20 PM »
No need for panic as rest assured QM2 has not had an accident this morning but rather the MAIB report into the explosion on board back in September last year, was published earlier this morning.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2011, 12:28 PM by Andy F »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #43 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Thank you Andy. :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #44 on: Dec 23, 2011, 12:51 PM »
The bread oven and the oven that cooked the chickens was / is1969 original Rob!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #45 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:06 PM »
Flagship, your wealth of knowledge of QE2 never ceases to amaze!

Cheers, Ken
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Rod

« Reply #46 on: Jun 26, 2012, 11:34 PM »
First to Queet two....
Wow so much of that is new to me! Amazing!
When I was on board the PO's club was created from a "pig" PO's aked, rightly so if they could have a place of their own. They did all the work on their own time...mostly, Cunard supplied the materials. Was alway a great place, well run..for a long time by Ron Pritchard, head Waiter, with an iron fist.
After I left, we visited the ship in Lauderdale, that would be in ...oh 91-92. Wardroom was not a happy place..I couldnt even give somebody cash for a drink as they were only allowed so many drinks/day or they would be "counselled" got rescued by the Staff Cheif, who bought me a beer then took me to his cabin. The whole atmosphere was not one of "We can do this" It was a job! Nothing more. Frankly I am glad I left when I did....I saw it coming....one of the hints was with family travel. In the old days you would get your ticket 2 months before departure....new days...after Bremerhaven...2 weeks! And you would be assigned a ratty cabin on 2 deck aft. Yes the HM, Bureau etc did their best to get you a better cabin....but it was that this came from NY management.

To Rob:
To be honest, some of the galley equipment should never have been installed in the first place. It was not designed to be used on ships. I could name the eqipment but most people would not know what it was. 2 items from many. Tilt skillets, huge braising pans...you wind a handle and they tilt, to pour off fat drain the water off rice...whatever...great on shore...you see them on Iron Chef and Gordon Ramseys programs...but they couldnt handle the bouncing around on the north atlantic. Luckily in my time nobody was seriously hurt when these failed with boiling liquid!
Rotary ovens....huge ovens 1 in the bakery and one in the roast kitchen...did 800 chickens 500 beer of pork roasts...had carbon bearings at the ends of the 4 trays...Every time the ship "bounced" a bit of carbon would break off, eventuall the bearing would fail and guess what?

Offline Rod

« Reply #47 on: Jun 26, 2012, 11:46 PM »
To add to my previous post....didn't want to run out of space.
I was in the Wardroom one night around 2am, just finished work, girlfriend was travelling so I was in Mess Jacket and bowtie. For those that don't know the Wardy, most of the lighting was down lighting with flood lights.. We are talking and having a beer and  I noticed smoke...asked ...hey are we smoking a lot??whats going on...? could see the smoke highlighted in the columns of light.
Went out the Wardy door and saw it was SMOKE!
Told the guys inside...Think its TOW call the bridge.
Went to the TOW and found it full...I MEAN FULL of smoke..felt my way around and found the fire. A fat fryer left on, thermostat failed. To cut a long story short, I got the fire out using 4 co2 extinguishers. Sustained 3rd degree burns to my left hand from the fire extibguishers. Kitchen was open for dinner that night.
Moral of the story...Cunard, when buying the fryers had opted out of the secondary thermostat thus saving $40 per fryer.
At the building there were so may cost cutting measures made, some of them almost cost the ship her life!