Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The Bad?  (Read 10196 times)

Offline singlemalt

The Bad?
« on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:31 PM »
La la la... not listening to news about retirement and Dubai plans

Anything else that casts the smallest of clouds over your QE2 experiences?
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline Pia

Re: The Bad?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009, 11:50 PM »
Yes. Having eaten something that had gone off - which happened to coincide with the weather getting fairly rough over the Atlantic   :o
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2009, 11:52 PM by Pia »

Offline Andy F

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:33 AM »
Many years ago, back in the dark and distant days of my youth, I once had a meat pie followed by copious amount of alcohol before the inevitable happened.  It was obvious the pie was off (that was my excuse then I stick by that now lol!).  ;D
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Pia

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:39 AM »
Of course, exactly what I'm saying   ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2009, 12:43 AM by Pia »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:23 PM »
The smell of stale washing-up water wafting from the Lido scullery, which always hit me when arriving from the G Stairway.

Believe me... I'd grow to love it with all my heart, if only I could still sip green tea and use the wifi in the Lido, before settling down to a piece of cheese, a plate of fruit and a midnight board game with Pia  :'(

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2009, 01:59 AM »
The bad... (and I am sure we all agree) was QE2 being retired.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2009, 04:31 AM by Chris »
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Wish those lovely grand dark blue and white stripey towels had come as part of a special 'Sorry-to-see-you-go'pack!
It was very bad that they didn't!  In fact I've thought of ringing Cunard to find out the manufacturers details...
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2009, 09:18 AM by twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline QE2_MATTHEW

« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2009, 12:39 PM »
During a baked alaska in 2006 I had a cherry with a stone in. i nearly broke a tooth and chocked at the same time!!!

The other thing was people moaning all the time. THose who didnt understand QE2. My cabin is noisey, my cabin is hot, she creaks in the night blah blah blah.

Lets face it your onboard now so get used to it...
Im free...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2009, 11:12 AM »

The Very Bad

Isn't it really dreadful to think that even the lovely 'silver' butter dishes with a star  (Mauritania) might have gone into as skip or be stuck in a Shed?

Even the thought heartbreaking......
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline highlander0108

Photoshop staff
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2009, 10:37 PM »
I ASSUME the shop stuff was sent back to the various shops, e.g. Harrod's in containers.

It was indeed along with the unsold stock and equipment from the photo shop. All returned to the owners.

If there is one thing I would not miss, it would be the rude and incompetent staff that manned the photo shop onboard.  Due to the computer break down in January during the embarcation of the Tandem Crossing/beginning of the World Cruise, I never got a photo with the life ring, which I REALLY wanted since although it said "World Cruise" we were only on the TA, but it would have been interesting to have.  The staff had left by the time we got through the ticketing.  We were promised that they could work some photoshiop magic or even retake it in NYC, but neither happened.  A very rude eastern European woman could not keep her story straight and we never got our account credited for the so-called photoshopped version that never materialized.  I was disappointed to see her still onboard for the Finall Farewell cruise. I realize they were contract workers and not direct Cunard employees, but boy did they have an attitude.

KenM
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2009, 12:15 PM by highlander0108 »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Andy F

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2009, 09:53 PM »
That's a shame Ken and sorry to hear that.  By the time I went ashore in Lisbon last, the photographers had already gone but I spoke with them afterwards and they created one for me from a previous shot taken somewhere earlier in the cruise.  QM2 was the worst for the lack of photo opportunities, as often the photo staff didn't show until after the earlier tours had already departed (one time, they followed me down the gangway).  However, once again, I spoke with them afterwards and they were only to willing to do their magic (which is why it seems I'm wearing the same clothes on 4 different port visits lol). In fairness, I've never had a problem with the onboard Images staff and always found them most accommodating (mind you, the fortune I've spent with them over the years at $27 a pop probably helps lol).  Maybe you were just unlucky but it doesn't help I agree.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:54 PM »
That's a shame Ken and sorry to hear that.  By the time I went ashore in Lisbon last, the photographers had already gone but I spoke with them afterwards and they created one for me from a previous shot taken somewhere earlier in the cruise.  QM2 was the worst for the lack of photo opportunities, as often the photo staff didn't show until after the earlier tours had already departed (one time, they followed me down the gangway).  However, once again, I spoke with them afterwards and they were only to willing to do their magic (which is why it seems I'm wearing the same clothes on 4 different port visits lol). In fairness, I've never had a problem with the onboard Images staff and always found them most accommodating (mind you, the fortune I've spent with them over the years at $27 a pop probably helps lol).  Maybe you were just unlucky but it doesn't help I agree.

I think I was a little hard on the photo staff with those comments.  Actually, except for that one person, they were friendly and quite helpful.  I had a few questions regarding flash card file storage and dvd's and they were very helpful.  The photos that I did buy from them of us and the captain, though, were very expensive since you had to buy the leatherette holder as well.

I would have to agree the smell of the dishwashing operation in the passageway between the Lido and the stair was a downer, but that is just typical dishwashing operations.

My biggest problem was leaving the ship for the last time, looking back down the enclosed gangway in Southampton, knowing I will not see the Midship's Lobby ever again, oh and that QE2 aroma.  :(

Offline Andy F

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:08 AM »
Agree the photos are expensive and although you didn't have to buy the folders, of course we all did (and if you're anything like me Ken, many of them lol) :'(

Agree the aroma of dishwashing was most unpleasant, although what I wouldn't give to experience it once more (but it has to be that dishwashing smell you understand, for nothing else could possibly come close or recreate the magic...!).

Re the looking back comment you make Ken, so very true

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2009, 12:04 PM »

Missing 'News of QE2'?
 Could be bad, on the other hand.....

And this is definitely very Bad indeed! 
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/5402,opinion,norovirus-the-scourge-of-the-high-seas-cruise-ships-winter-vomiting-bug-flu

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2009, 07:05 PM »
I was disappointed to see her still onboard for the Finall Farewell cruise. I realize they were contract workers and not direct Cunard employees, but boy did they have an attitude.

Ken Im sorry to say l share the same feelings as you of this very lady, l asked the same of the Embarkation photo in Southampton and NY, I dont mind being lied to, but please keep the same version, alas this woman couldnt, The rest of the photo shop staff l always found a delight to deal with and always very helpful, and very occasionally  some of them threw a photo in for free.

In the glory days of Ocean Pictures  and in my early days of cruising l was forever buying photos and needed to get one from shoreside at a later date, anyway to cut the story wrote a letter to Ocean Pictures explaining what l wanted and that l had just returned from a crossing. Back came the photo and lovely letter from Mr Hunter Cox with a little "with Compliments "slip to hand over to the staff onboard next time l travelled. Sure enough l kept this bit of paper and presented it onboard next time, all is said was " Please ensure Mr Devin is "looked after " and it was signed. So when l went to collect the next batch of photos the assistant said Oh theres no charge pointing at the bit of paper which he kept.
 I was amazed to get a free photo and just assumed it was a one off, well l never paid for any photos on that crossing or the next cruise the following year. I was careful not to abuse this little perk and was always happy to pay for the photo. At the end of the crossing made sure the staff got a small something to buy them some drinks.
  As for when l returned back home l ensured he was thanked for his kindness and he was sent a small gift
 I would hate to think how much l have spent in that section over the years. 

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #15 on: Jul 13, 2009, 02:16 AM »
Thankfully this incident happened on the final night of a two week cruise...  if it had happened earlier, it would have seriously impacted the cruise for me, and for the Chartroom staff.

I go to the Chartoom for a drink late that night.
Right away I notice that there is a pair of extremely inebriated men sitting at the bar, so I sit at a table far enough away from them where I thought I wouldn't be bothered, but close enough to the bar to have a conversation with the bartender, who I had been friendly with for a long time.

These men are so drunk that they can barely stay seated in the barstool, and their speach is slurred beyond comprehension.  
Yet the bartender continues to serve them.
Eventually their attitude becomes threatening.  Yet the bartender continues to serve them.  I want to avoid embarrassing the bartender by criticizing him in front of his colleagues, and I don't want to antagonize these men who now have noticed me sitting alone and are making obscene comments.  

The other waiters in the Chartroom are clearly allarmed, but they say nothing.   I am the only passenger present besides them.
 I start to give allarmed looks to the bartender and the other waiters.   I don't believe it will become physical, and I can take some verbal abuse.  It's the final night and I like talking to the waiters, all of whom I know.  I don't want to leave because I feel that I am safer staying put and waiting for them to leave or pass out.
The bartender continues to serve them, and says nothing about cutting them off.  Finally the verbal abuse becomes outright threats, and I ask for security to be called.  The two are ready for a fight and I am the lucky chosen one.  One of the waiters sprints to the phone and makes the call, as if all she was waiting for was for me to ask.

These two drunks stumble out of the Chartroom moments before security arrives.  They take my statement, and then we hear that a couple of drunks are picking fights in the Yacht Club.

Then I confront the bartender and ask him why, when these two were so clearly beyond drunk he didn't cut them off, and why when they were obviously intent on a fight he didn't call security.
The answer was that they are not allowed to refuse service to any passenger ever,  or to call security on a passenger unless there was a fight or unless I asked him to.
I am shaken and angry and convinced that tips were the real issue.  I don't believe that violently drunk passengers are allowed to continue to drink if they wish to nor do I believe that policy prevents staff from calling security.  

If it were not the final night no doubt these two would have been put off at the next port.   I believe that if I complained officially that this bartender's career would have been in jeopardy.   As it was, I made no complaint.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2009, 02:41 AM by stowaway2k »

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #16 on: Jul 13, 2009, 08:25 AM »
Then I confront the bartender and ask him why, when these two were so clearly beyond drunk he didn't cut them off, and why when they were obviously intent on a fight he didn't call security.
The answer was that they are not allowed to refuse service to any passenger ever,  or to call security on a passenger unless there was a fight or unless I asked him to.
I am shaken and angry and convinced that tips were the real issue.  I don't believe that violently drunk passengers are allowed to continue to drink if they wish to nor do I believe that policy prevents staff from calling security.  

While working onboard i have came across cases like this.The Bartender was right and wrong.Its true that you cant refuse service and that you dont argue with a passenger.You cant also call security directly but you have to call the Pubilc Room Manager,while the bars are open even in the wee hours he is around,if he you cant get hold of him then you call the Hotel Manager-On the QE2 we have day and a night Hotel Manager.The third option you have is to call the Bridge.

Louis
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2009, 12:25 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #17 on: Jul 18, 2009, 06:32 PM »
In the uk its against the law to serve somebody who is "drunk"
Now try explaining that to someone who is drunk, and worse try refusing to serve them. If you dont serve them its  a fault and if you do its a fault . At times its a no win situation
It is of course comforting to know that whatever you as a person decide to do the boss will back you up.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #18 on: Jul 18, 2009, 10:26 PM »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2009, 09:49 AM »
Wondering, in terms of experience - does this count as 'The Bad'?!
Liners Listers are continuing their discussion Re. Filming on QE2

Here is P.C.Kohler, starting with a quote from Kenneth Barton :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinersList/message/119175

"Remember how those fanny-cupping wooden seats around the pool stood out glaringly because Cunard had gotten it into their heads to paint over the varnished wood with bright primary colors? "

Yep, one of the many little indignities that this ship suffered from about 1971 onwards, it seems. Cunard just couldn't keep their mitts off the poor thing. The varnished wood seats perfectly matched the iron grey pool surrounds which, of course, they also ruined in due course. I recall their being covered with astroturf at one point. One used to dred embarking or visiting QE2 each time to see what little detail or sundry favourite delight had been ripped out, slathered with bilious enamels, stuck with vinyl appliques or otherwise buggered up.

On my 1979 crossing I met an architecture student who shared my passion for the original QE2 and we'd used to make each other miserable touring every inch of her and cataloguing each and every indignity. His favourites were the hideous Queens Grill (which by then had assumed a blue and white scheme and seemed to have this whiff of of sour milk) and the excreable Roger Moore Moderne decor of the new penthouse suites. Me, I preferred the astroturf underfoot and the Chinese fans of the "Tables of the World" with the old Columbia Restaurant menu covers encrusted with 10 years of sticky and greasy fingerprints. We met for drinks in the Midships Bar only since it was still pristine! God... that was THIRTY years ago...
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2009, 10:12 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:24 PM »
1987 - This must have been a particularly challenging experience for everyone involved
From the top of QE2, right through to her very bottom!
Good job that QE2 survived - together with her very particular sense of humour...

This article does her no favours either - It's by Bryan Appleyard - The Times
http://www.bryanappleyard.com/article.php?page=9&article_id=30

Cruise_Princess

Re: Photoshop staff
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:45 PM »
It was indeed along with the unsold stock and equipment from the photo shop. All returned to the owners.

If there is one thing I would not miss, it would be the rude and incompetent staff that manned the photo shop onboard.  Due to the computer break down in January during the embarcation of the Tandem Crossing/beginning of the World Cruise, I never got a photo with the life ring, which I REALLY wanted since although it said "World Cruise" we were only on the TA, but it would have been interesting to have.  The staff had left by the time we got through the ticketing.  We were promised that they could work some photoshiop magic or even retake it in NYC, but neither happened.  A very rude eastern European woman could not keep her story straight and we never got our account credited for the so-called photoshopped version that never materialized.  I was disappointed to see her still onboard for the Finall Farewell cruise. I realize they were contract workers and not direct Cunard employees, but boy did they have an attitude.

KenM

Here here!! couldnt agree more...I dont like to criticise  any crew as they are  so wonderful but this woman was one in a million thank god.. ..despite numerous emails direct to IMAGE about her attitude  on the Dubai Voyage and me trying to locate a photo taken on board which they denied all knowledge of.ever being taken...I EVENTUALLY managed to track down a copy with grateful thanks to another passenger on board.....Im STILL trying to get the pictures of the interior of the ship I wanted to put in the small Album I bought on board specially...(they totally ignored me.)....they seem to live in a world of their 'superior' own...  they didnt even bother to film the sail in to Dubai..one of the most historic events in Cunard history..Bring back Ocean Pictures...with realistic pricing., good photos and polite staff!  Ive heard this all too often as Image seem to have a monopoly on board ships these days. Ill be giving them a very wide berth in future.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009, 12:52 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:06 PM »
Well hearing your experience validates my feelings towards them.  I was wondering if it was me and an isolated case, but even that was somewhat confirmed on my final trip and encountering the same attitude behind that desk when I questioned if I could purchase one of the photos without the elaborate leather-like binder.

For me, though, the worst was the car ride out of Southampton, and the silence, while we were all contemplating the fact we would never sail on QE2 again.  :'(  I could not look back, knowing I would never experience a magical cruise on her out of Southampton.

Ken
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009, 07:23 PM by highlander0108 »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:29 PM »
Yes Ken I too thought it was maybe just me,......but heard sooooo many others say the same thing...BUT we wont let that be our last reminder of the wonderful QE2. will we...?  ...Mine is watching her go out of sight on the coach to the hotel in Dubai....unforgettable.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:24 PM »
That truly had to have been gut wrenching.  :'(

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2009, 11:23 PM »
Bring back Ocean Pictures...with realistic pricing., good photos and polite staff!  Ive heard this all too often as Image seem to have a monopoly on board ships these days

I couldnt agree more, Ocean Pictures while they were there were great. Mindyou to be fair some of the Image team were pretty good, l thought the guys onboard in 2008 were ace :D But Oh my that woman on the farewell trips....

Offline holynougat

« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2009, 11:39 PM »
I think my worst memory was walking through number 23 Double Bottom Grey Water Tank (sewage) which the engineers had assured me was empty.....

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:04 AM »
Hmm. Oh dear.
No - not good, certainly!
Sounds as if it was pitch dark -
Can't help wondering what happened next...?
[grey water's not nice - saw it once, like sludge with things in it,
in a washing machine like contraption;
luckily the smell remained behind the glass window!]

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2009, 07:35 AM by Twynkle »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:17 AM »
Bump into any floating "logs"?  Yeeks!  Did you have to wear a respirator?  I am certified for confined space entry here and that is a concern.

Offline holynougat

« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:56 AM »
Confined Space entry procedures are very tight on ships for obvious reasons! - the space is ventilated and the atmosphere tested prior to entry so for normal entry BA is not required.

Considering how old the QE2 is most of her tanks are in good condition, however, some of them are basically very rusty metal boxes... however, being inside the tanks is a great place to see the construction of the ship, and on the QE2 there was noticeably more steel construction inside the Double Bottom and the framing system was much closer together than you would find on a modern ship.

On problem with the QE2 is that it is nearly impossible to 'strip' all of the water out of the tanks so when you did an inspection you always needed big rubber boots! (and yes, a very big torch was useful!)

I've got some pictures somwhere than I will look up and post.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:45 AM »
Fascinating stuff!!!  My God WHERE else would ANYONE wanna see  inside the sludge or sewage tanks except on QE2...imagine going to some top hotel and asking too see their sewerage system?  You would be ready for certification!!!! HAHAHAAHA....

Holynougat....we are all waiting with baited breath.  we all want to see it!!!   Its great to see all the different parts of the ship we pax would otherwise have no chance of seeing........

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #31 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:59 PM »
Hey - isn't this  beginning to verge on from The Bad - towards The Almost Ugly!
It's good that you survived to tell the tale, HN.
It's the next bit that'll be interesting, too...

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:23 AM »
It's the next bit that'll be interesting, too...

Posted by: holynougat 
Insert Quote
I think my worst memory was walking through number 23 Double Bottom Grey Water Tank (sewage) which the engineers had assured me was empty..... 

...... l hope its not a crap story...... :-[ :-[  ok lm sorry, but somebody had to say it...

richc1977

« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2010, 01:28 PM »
Standing in the companion-way between the Midship Lobby and the gangway at Southampton, having handed over my card, and waiting for the queue to shuffle forward to take the gangway to the terminal.  I always said a little goodbye under my breath.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
The other side of the QE2
« Reply #34 on: Dec 20, 2011, 09:55 PM »
When talking about the QE2 we all like to talk and hear but her good side.Though it would be nice to hear from forum members any thoughts about the the negative side of her.

Matteo 91

Re: The other side of the QE2
« Reply #35 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:05 PM »
The negative side is that she has been dismissed!  :'(

Offline Twynkle

Re: The other side of the QE2
« Reply #36 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:13 PM »
When talking about the QE2 we all like to talk and hear but her good side.Though it would be nice to hear from forum members any thoughts about the the negative side of her.

Louis - having been on several ships, it can honestly be said that many more complaints were overheard on ships other than QE2!
Isn't that what QE2 was really all about - a good passenger ship being one with with satisfied customers?
She was creaky, and Deck 5 was beginning to look a bit 'old', however no-one seemed to do more than make comments.
It would be interesting to know, did anyone make formal complaints?

However, I'd guess that from a crew members perspective - she wasn't so pleasing. An ex-headwaiter, now on another Cunarder, said of Queen Victoria, 'This ship's miles better than QE2 - you can be certain that everything works here'!
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2011, 11:15 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Andy F

« Reply #37 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:48 PM »
It's an interesting point Rosie.  In fairness and hard as it may be to accept, but while those of us who loved her would forgive pretty much anything, others were not so accommodating.  A fairly large proportion of pax travelling during the final year were first timers, there to say they 'did it' before it was too late, but for every person who loved her, there was probably another who didn't, or at least didn't understand quite what the attraction was. 

To illustrate this, during the final season I overheard 2 couples travelling together on their first (and only) voyage on board - they hated it.  They had been used to modern cruise ships with balconies and every conceivable facility and were bored rigid.  They couldn't care less about the history, tradition etc and all they did was complain.  Clearly not everyone shares our passion and I can accept that.  It takes all types but hey, that's their loss and whereas they may not appreciate my world, I doubt very much I'd be too keen on theirs. Rock climbing up the funnel anyone... ::)   

Pat Curry

« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Money was spent on QE2 until the sale to Nakheel on what the pax see, Good.  ;D
 but not necessarily on what they didn't see, Bad.  >:(

Yes there were first timer pax who hated the QE2.  And others who wouldn't dream of cruising on her. I once was ashore in the Caribbean sharing a minibus taxi with pax from a Celebrity ship. We were chatting cordially while driving up a hill which soon revealed a view of the dock and the two ships. One German female said rather vehemently in perfect English that she wouldn't be seen dead in such an old and ugly ship.  I retorted that I was the Guest Chef and QE2 had a morgue.  Don't think she got the point.    

SAD.  OK QE2 was old. Some pax enjoyed pointing this out. BAD.  Imagine what they would have said if they had been crew. Many things didn't work efficiently, in the engine room, for example but her crew knew her of old and how to sort things out.  Galley equipment (ovens for example) was inefficient or didn't work properly, if at all. Plumbing was a nightmare.   ::)
There were, I am sure, many other examples, but the crew coped with few complaints in my experience.  No point in complaining anyway ... it wouldn't change things.  And there was always crew bar  ::)

On that subject one of the really BAD things implemented by Carnival/Cunard was their takeover of the F'o'c'stle Cub.  The former Petty Officers' mess had been disused for years. Its rescue into use as a members' bar was financed and physically implemented by long term crew.  Furniture such as armchairs etc were rescued from the skip during refits.  Nobody cared if they were a little shabby. Items such as  flatscreen TV, PA system and comforts were purchased using membership funds.  

Membership was restricted to career crew, ie those who had served on QE2 for some years. Membership was c 300. The committed bought their drinks stocks at cost from the ship stores and they were sold at the same cost in the Club. Members signed a chit for drinks bought and monthly settled their own bar bills with the Club's bar staff (three Fillipino volunteers who all had full time other jobs on board, deck crew I think).  The Club had a wonderful atmosphere and was a place of great pleasure to its members.

Then in c 2005 Carnival/Cunard decided that they could make more money out of the crew if they took over the running.  It was dictatorial exploitation at its worst. They declared that membership was void. They simply took over the Club's assets and announcing that they would administer the bar (using proper bar staff, not volunteers) at a far higher cost than before (cheaper than for pax though) and pay as you go, Membership was cancelled and the Club's exclusivity (one wee perk for long term crew) was abolished. The Club was open to all crew. Guests (such as crew parents or partners/husbands/wives who might be sailing on board for the odd cruise) were disallowed; new Cunard ruling.

The Membership committee were told to like it or lump it, the latter meaning total closure of their former Club if they objected.  There was much unhappiness but no one dared to complain to Cunard for fear that they would loose their jobs.  

So no complaints from the crew.

My own view is that management is composed largely of shorebound penpushers motivated by profits which translate to their bonuses.  If they actually worked a four month contract on board they would find out exactly how hard the crew works all hours of day, seven days a week, not five days in a luxury 9 to 5 office.

Dictatorial exploitation in the form of removing perks is a disgrace and astonishingly petty. It  was BAD, management form ...  very BAD indeed.  

Oh and since I am having a rant, perhaps Cunard shorebound penpushers can explain why by 2008 they banned alcoholic drinks in the QE2 Ward room at lunch time.  I never saw drunken officers on duty.  

Happy Christmas, Scrooge woops, I mean Cunard.  

By the way, a new ship glitters but as with a new house there is a snagging list a mile long some of which may never be fixed and things go wrong or are aren't there.

If the pax don't see it, management don't fix it. BAD.  Let the crew eat cake.

Crew copes.  GOOD but unfair.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2011, 09:34 AM by Queet-two »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Fascinating stuff!

It sounds like sometimes they used QE2's age as an excuse for not having new equipment.  Plumbing and the general arrangement of the ship is one thing, yes she's old, but not replacing worn out or faulty galley equipment is inexcusable.  I'd hope none of it was 40 years old when the ship left service!?
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2011, 10:13 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Pat Curry

« Reply #40 on: Dec 22, 2011, 10:35 AM »
Well I never  :o

The very day I wrote this, see:  https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3796.msg40891.html#new a QM2 accident is reported.

Crew to blame?  Or was it an example of "what the pax don't see, the management don't fix.".

You decide.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2011, 02:06 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #41 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:58 AM »
What?  Has QM2 had an accident this morning?  I can't see anything on the news?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Andy F

« Reply #42 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:20 PM »
No need for panic as rest assured QM2 has not had an accident this morning but rather the MAIB report into the explosion on board back in September last year, was published earlier this morning.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2011, 12:28 PM by Andy F »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #43 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Thank you Andy. :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #44 on: Dec 23, 2011, 12:51 PM »
The bread oven and the oven that cooked the chickens was / is1969 original Rob!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #45 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:06 PM »
Flagship, your wealth of knowledge of QE2 never ceases to amaze!

Cheers, Ken

Offline Rod

« Reply #46 on: Jun 26, 2012, 11:34 PM »
First to Queet two....
Wow so much of that is new to me! Amazing!
When I was on board the PO's club was created from a "pig" PO's aked, rightly so if they could have a place of their own. They did all the work on their own time...mostly, Cunard supplied the materials. Was alway a great place, well run..for a long time by Ron Pritchard, head Waiter, with an iron fist.
After I left, we visited the ship in Lauderdale, that would be in ...oh 91-92. Wardroom was not a happy place..I couldnt even give somebody cash for a drink as they were only allowed so many drinks/day or they would be "counselled" got rescued by the Staff Cheif, who bought me a beer then took me to his cabin. The whole atmosphere was not one of "We can do this" It was a job! Nothing more. Frankly I am glad I left when I did....I saw it coming....one of the hints was with family travel. In the old days you would get your ticket 2 months before departure....new days...after Bremerhaven...2 weeks! And you would be assigned a ratty cabin on 2 deck aft. Yes the HM, Bureau etc did their best to get you a better cabin....but it was that this came from NY management.

To Rob:
To be honest, some of the galley equipment should never have been installed in the first place. It was not designed to be used on ships. I could name the eqipment but most people would not know what it was. 2 items from many. Tilt skillets, huge braising pans...you wind a handle and they tilt, to pour off fat drain the water off rice...whatever...great on shore...you see them on Iron Chef and Gordon Ramseys programs...but they couldnt handle the bouncing around on the north atlantic. Luckily in my time nobody was seriously hurt when these failed with boiling liquid!
Rotary ovens....huge ovens 1 in the bakery and one in the roast kitchen...did 800 chickens 500 beer of pork roasts...had carbon bearings at the ends of the 4 trays...Every time the ship "bounced" a bit of carbon would break off, eventuall the bearing would fail and guess what?

Offline Rod

« Reply #47 on: Jun 26, 2012, 11:46 PM »
To add to my previous post....didn't want to run out of space.
I was in the Wardroom one night around 2am, just finished work, girlfriend was travelling so I was in Mess Jacket and bowtie. For those that don't know the Wardy, most of the lighting was down lighting with flood lights.. We are talking and having a beer and  I noticed smoke...asked ...hey are we smoking a lot??whats going on...? could see the smoke highlighted in the columns of light.
Went out the Wardy door and saw it was SMOKE!
Told the guys inside...Think its TOW call the bridge.
Went to the TOW and found it full...I MEAN FULL of smoke..felt my way around and found the fire. A fat fryer left on, thermostat failed. To cut a long story short, I got the fire out using 4 co2 extinguishers. Sustained 3rd degree burns to my left hand from the fire extibguishers. Kitchen was open for dinner that night.
Moral of the story...Cunard, when buying the fryers had opted out of the secondary thermostat thus saving $40 per fryer.
At the building there were so may cost cutting measures made, some of them almost cost the ship her life!