Author Topic: Q4 Launching Day Cover  (Read 3126 times)

Offline highlander0108

Q4 Launching Day Cover
« on: Feb 20, 2010, 05:54 AM »
I picked this up on eBay recently.  I thought it was interesting since it used a logo similar to the clever original QE2 logo on the cover and also on the postage cancellation.  This was printed, obviously before launching day and the Queen's naming of the ship.

"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Q4 Launching Day Cover
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:56 AM »
That Q4 logo is really cool, clever them!

Compare and contrast to today... where QV's logo just uses the Cunard corporate font, and the ship's name has been known for a long time - its all less fun!  "whats she going to be called!?" 
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Well found, Ken!
Looks every bit as clever
and a typical 'Cunardian' font, too
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:43 AM »
totally agree, very clever font and it also keeps up the suspense and theatre of the launching event.  As Rob says with Viky and Elizabeth they missed a trick with keeping the name under wraps

jdl

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:25 PM »
It makes you wonder if any company will in this day and age launch a ship with the name being known only at the naming point.
I assume those "Whatever of the Seas" are running out of options...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:29 PM »
Interstingly I just read this in the Potter and Frost book.  In order to ensure the name of the "new Cunarder" was known in the States at the time of the launch at Clydebank, a sealed envelope was sent to the Cunard offices in New York with instructions to only open it if all telecommunications of the event failed.  The envelope was put in an office  safe and forgotten about until after the launch.  Remembering the envelope, one executive said to burn it and another asked what would be the harm in opening it?

It was opened and the name of the Q4 as listed on the card was "QUEEN ELIZABETH"!

I can only imagine how many red faces in the States there would have been had they had to rely on that envelope.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2010, 06:53 PM »
As a collector of first day covers how I wish that I had this one.  I do have the maiden voyage first day cover released in May 1969 which I treasure.

Hopefully I will find the launch first day cover to add to my collection. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com