Author Topic: Extra!!: Serfs Gain Movable Type; Invade Grills!  (Read 1709 times)

Jakester

Extra!!: Serfs Gain Movable Type; Invade Grills!
« on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:26 PM »
Good day everyone,

My name is Jake and I am a liner addict. This began a short few months ago, let me explain.

In an inexplicable fit of nostalgia, I googlered the ship I had sailed on, the Majesty of the Seas. I sailed in her inaugural season. Of course I found the forum down the hall, and through research found Cunard. Ahh...

This came about because my Grandparents were Very Accomplished Travelers in perhaps the Golden Era of travel, late 50s to early 2000s. As many of you know, travel in that period was glamorous and a bit more formal. That is what I wanted out of my travel experiences. Sadly, all that is left in this class in QM2. Not a problem, Proper Crossing is a foregone conclusion and I am already inspecting cruise sailings with her younger sisters.

What brought me to QE2 and here is the fact that she holds the hearts of so many of you and I was determined to find out why. I should have prefaced this with the fact that though I am only 40, I was born decades too late.

The QE2 has an aura of sophistication, of elegant travel, history of the North Atlantic Crossings. What a combo! I so wish I could have sailed on her...

Additionally, I feel that she crossed through time in a sense given how the world has changed since she began service. Man had yet to land on the Moon, the internet was but a gleam in Al Gores eyes...

So here I am, a posthumous QE2 lover. Day late and a dollar short, as usual, but I think I found my party.

See you all in the CC..first round is on me.

Sorry for the length and poor writing, excitement has gotten the better of me.

Jake

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Extra!!: Serfs Gain Movable Type; Invade Grills!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Welcome aboard Jake, and what a great introduction!

As you say you've missed the boat a bit, so to speak, but you're just in time to catch this forum !  :)
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2010, 08:03 AM »
Welcome Aboard :)
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2010, 11:50 AM »

What brought me to QE2 and here is the fact that she holds the hearts of so many of you and I was determined to find out why.

Hi Jake,  Welcome to the forum.

You will begin to understand the many reasons why she holds the hearts of so many people as you read through the topics on this forum.  She was special and loved not only by those who sailed on her but by many who admired her from afar and knew she was something different.      
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 12:11 PM by Rob Lightbody »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

June 2015 Extra Newsletter

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 1719
Last post Jun 24, 2015, 06:59 PM
by Lynda Bradford
How much extra for a 28.5 knot crossing?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 20
Views: 7930
Last post Aug 12, 2015, 11:36 PM
by holynougat