Author Topic: PS Ryde : last ditch "save it from scrap" appeal  (Read 6324 times)

Offline tramscape

Re: PS Ryde : last ditch "save it from scrap" appeal
« Reply #40 on: Dec 05, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Gavin - I thought I should just address the specific question here ........ or else we get into a whole new ball game

I, of course, am pretty well known by many in paddle steamer circles - and the three mentions I get in the minutes from the PSPS AGM earlier this month show that, whilst I am eloquent on the internet, I also make sure I am heard by the Council !   

Regarding steam v motor, there seemed to be no real concern when the last steam cruise ships went a few years ago. If you don't see the engines, you don't really care - and that must be the case for most cruise passengers. It is different on paddle steamers. Some don't care of course, but many are captivated by the engines ..... and of course, the selling point to the public (in the absence of real comfort and service) has to be the heritage and the old technology. This of course is the raison d'etre for Waverley as she would not have got Millenium Rebuild cash otherwise ... and she won't get the money she needs next time (which is coming upon us quickly now !)

Gordon S
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2018, 01:34 PM by tramscape »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #41 on: Dec 05, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Gavin - I thought I should just address the specific question here ........ or else we get into a whole new ball game

I, of course, am pretty well known by many in paddle steamer circles - and the three mentions I get in the minutes from the PSPS AGM earlier this month show that, whilst I am eloquent on the internet, I also make sure I am heard by the Council !   

Regarding steam v motor, there seemed to be no real concern when the last steam cruise ships went a few years ago. If you don't see the engines, you don't really care - and that must be the case for most cruise passengers. It is different on paddle steamers. Some don't care of course, but many are captivated by the engines ..... and of course, the selling point to the public (in the absence of real comfort and service) has to be the heritage and the old technology. This of course is the raison d'etre for Waverley as she would not have got Millenium Rebuild cash otherwise ... and she won't get the money she needs next time (which is coming upon us quickly now !)

Gordon S

Agree 100% - I think most think Waverley is still just out of rebuild - the first phase was almost 20yrs ago!

Gav

Offline tramscape

« Reply #42 on: Dec 05, 2018, 03:35 PM »
They are working on 2022 for the job, I believe

It won't be anywhere near as big as last time - and I am dead sure that HLF will only (with luck) fund certain essential things this time

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #43 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:40 PM »
Well... there is an update in the latest Steam Railway out this week and it is not good news.

Over Christmas, the bridge area suffered three separate collapses on different days and bits are now literally falling off the ship on a daily basis.

As a result of this sudden deterioration, they have thrown in the towel and abandoned the project - but it is still hoped to salvage the engines.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #44 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:59 AM »
I'd heard that had happened - I think there are a lot of upset people who donated to the crowd funding by Siward but as far as I am aware that will be either put towards obtaining her main engines or donated to Medway Queen or similar.

On the subject of Ryde's engines - whilst I am a fan of steam propulsion - as stated elsewhere in this topic the engines from ps Caledonia (built in 1934 by the same yard as Ryde) were salvaged after the fire that destroyed the ship at her berth on the Thames in 1980. They have been in a museum for years but are not on display and covered in red oxide style paint. Ryde's engines are merely smaller versions of Caledonia's. Perhaps if another preservation organisation could get them they would be able to do something different with them.

Siward are also involved in the restoration and potential return to the Thames of HMS President - the last surviving WWI Q Ship.

Gav
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2019, 08:02 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Well... there is an update in the latest Steam Railway out this week and it is not good news.

Over Christmas, the bridge area suffered three separate collapses on different days and bits are now literally falling off the ship on a daily basis.

As a result of this sudden deterioration, they have thrown in the towel and abandoned the project - but it is still hoped to salvage the engines.

Sad, and sad she was allowed to deteriorate into a derelict condition in the first place.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.