Author Topic: Camera lost overboard in the Atlantic - Oct 08 - QM2/QE2 - & Found again!  (Read 10802 times)

Offline Twynkle

From the Cruise Critic website

31.1.2010 Mauregato writes:

Quote from: 'Mauregato on CruiseCritic site

'Hello, I'm a fisherman, and recently I have found a digital photo camera at the sea botton.

The camera is totally damaged by the sea water, but "miraculously" the photos and videos on the "SD Memory" are totally O.K.

I think the camera comes from from QM2, sailing from N.Y. on October 16, 2008, in a trasatlantic route to Europe.

I'd like to find the property to give to him the camera and photos.'

Read on...!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1133869
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 09:18 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Lost...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Absolutely brilliant story... (a) that the photos survived (b) that the fisherman found the camera and (c) that the fisherman can post online to try to find the owner!   The moral of the tale may be to always keep one photo on your memory card that just shows your email address!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:54 PM »
But sadly as is the trend with that place the threads are hijacked and it very soon descends into a farce..It used to be a good place... :(
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Reading some more... it appears to be an October 2008 crossing, with QE2, one of the 2 final transatlantics.

Photos of the couple who owned the camera - http://mas.farodevigo.es/galeria/galeria.php?foto=9036
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

The owner of the camera is still 'lost'!
Maybe someone here might know or find the couple whose appear on camera shots - although, they won't necessarily be the owner.
Whoever it is / was will have had a considerable interest in QE2 - If not before their voyage, then hopefully during and afterwards!
Maybe someone in the Cunard Customer / Guest Relations Dept might already have record of a reported missing camera....
I wonder whether QM2 ID computers might recognise the passenger's photos, if they were scanned again?
Who knows....?
Hope that Mauregato gets a reward!

(Mods - could it be an idea to post this under Miscellaneous - 'QE2 and Tandem Voyages'? - this would give an opportunity for Guests as well as Member to see it?)

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 10:50 PM by Twynkle »

Cruise_Princess

The finder of the camera should send the pic to Cunard maybe they will publish it in the Cunarder magazine.....and then both can be reunited..

what a story...why dont we hear this on the news instead of all the depressing wars, MPs allowances murders etc.....would make a pleasant change,

I still cant get over this story its just soooo amazing!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
I am told that Cunard are indeed "on the case" and also that the story is being circulated all over the place; I am sure we will hear about it should the owner be found - which certainly seems likely given all the details known, including which class of accomodation they were booked in.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I told my BBC Contact at BBC South about this and... they ran a piece about it tonight (did anyone see it) and...

Watch tomorrow night for the exciting final instalment!

Offline Kathy M.

It is such an interesting story!  Rob - make sure to let us know if you can link to the BBC story!
Kathy

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
And here's a still from it

(attached)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I/we get a wee mention/credit from the BBC guy here  :-[

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1133869&page=6

from Paul@bbc (Paul Clifton) - but thanks to Rosie for bringing to MY attention via the forum!   ;D

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

That's totally remarkable! Well done, Rob, for having engineered this... such an unlikely story, with an even more unlikely ending!

For those like me having problems with the link above, try this :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/england/realmedia/southtoday/southampton/southtoday?size=16x9&bgc=C0C0C0&nbram=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1

The story is at the very end of the item, just after the weather forecast. This link may not work tomorrow, of course...

And to think that this broadcast actually located the owners!

Offline Twynkle

Thanks, Rob!
However, if it hadn't been for QE2
none of this would have come to anyone's attention!
A short cut to the 'story' - it comes almost 25 minutes into the BBC programme.

Wouldn't it be an even better end to end all camera stories with the finding of Robert's (Waverley)camera?
The gallery here was started because he too, lost his camera - together with all his Final QE2 holiday photographs...
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,59.0.html

Off to read up about speed and dead water now!
Hope that 'someone' won't mind helping with some answers...yet again!

Offline Twynkle

Here's the BBC page
There's no proof (yet!) that either of these people own the camera!!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8509619.stm

And a useful site for anyone who has lost a camera!
http://ifoundyourcamera.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2010, 10:23 AM by Twynkle »