Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The Good?  (Read 4133 times)

Offline singlemalt

The Good?
« on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:30 PM »
Where to begin? I'll let someone else have that pleasure...  :-X
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline QE2_MATTHEW

Re: The Good?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2009, 10:00 PM »
QE2...

Its all good
Im free...

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2009, 01:42 PM »
No recorded muzak anywhere in the public rooms    :-*

Just a snatch of "Catch a falling star" catching my ears now and again while strolling through the Midships Lobby -- the perfect fit!

All the rest of the music was live... really quite astonishing nowadays!

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:00 AM »
I second QE2 Matthew's notion and raise my Pineapple - TO QE2!
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline Andy F

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:18 AM »
If you could lend me your pineapple Chris, I'll happily raise it also!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Pia

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2009, 12:57 AM »
I'm sure I saw a coconut somewhere   ???

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:02 PM »
Spent 2 trips enjoying every second so much.  First voyage it was the whole experience -  all so unexpected and so good, second was the same and better, feeling almost at home.  Everything about the sights, sounds smells and even touch - I used to walk along Deck 5 barefoot loads of times just to feel the carpet!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline QE2_MATTHEW

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:46 PM »
My steward let me hoover my own cabin. Just so I could say I have done housework on the greatest liner in the world. Also I wanted to give the poor guy a break- they are so good to us and work so hard. I only ever ordered room service once in 5 trips.
Im free...

Offline Andy F

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2009, 02:47 AM »
Last time I was aboard, I just had to take a bath as figured it was probably the last opportunity I would ever have to take a bath at sea and a most enjoyable and relaxing experience it was!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2009, 10:30 AM »
To be on the North Atlantic with her,regardless to what the weather has to give.I had that pleasure 136 times.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 06:58 PM »
Last time I was aboard, I just had to take a bath as figured it was probably the last opportunity I would ever have to take a bath at sea

It's too late now but I regret that I didn't take more baths on her (I think I only had a boat twice. In case you're worrying that I was getting rather ripe by the end of each trip the rest of the days I only bothered with a shower)

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 07:00 PM »
The best experience on the QE2 was sitting on the deck at the rear of the Yacht Club on a warm and balmy evening sipping a drink and watching the world go by :)

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 06:59 AM »
... bobbing on my back in the swimming pool, watching the clouds and the steam rushing past...

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 04:04 PM »
Leaning into the wind at a 45 degree angle just under the bridge wings.

Racing my family up the stairs while they were in the elevator.

Exploring the ship late at night when it seemed like you were the only one onboard!

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 09:59 AM »
Last time I was aboard, I just had to take a bath as figured it was probably the last opportunity I would ever have to take a bath at sea

It's too late now but I regret that I didn't take more baths on her (I think I only had a boat twice. In case you're worrying that I was getting rather ripe by the end of each trip the rest of the days I only bothered with a shower)

I loved a bath in a bit of rough weather. It's also far safer than a shower, as falling out of the bath when showering was a real possibility!

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 12:42 PM »

Yes - The bath on Deck 3 was really good - and wished for more of the rough stuff....

Fitting into a Deck 5 shower was an interesting experience - no room to fall over - just a bit of a slippery 'lurch' instead.
Goodness knows how the crew in even smaller quarters coped!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 11:21 AM »
The bedding.

Not just the beds themselves (so comfortable), but here, I am thinking of the bedclothes, the duvets and the pillows. The bedclothes were unique, tucking in so well at the feet -- I would gladly have bought several sets had they been available...

And always fresh, spotlessly white, and smelling good.

Say I, after just remaking my bed with the very nice, but much less excellent, bedclothes I have at my disposal here...

... and no one here leaves me a wee chocolate every evening either...

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 09:50 PM »
The bedding.

And on land you know full well that when you leave the bed it will stay that way till you make it up!!! Onboard they were very quick at making the cabin up, One steward l had must have been a nurse, the sheets were so tightly packed l had to slide my way into the bed, and once inside could barely move!
 At the end of the farewell trips l begged my stewardess allow me to "purchase" the bed cover.. after  afew days she did give in and give me a freshly laundered one all wrapped up... last time l had a look l could still smell that smell....   :-[ Not that l make a habbit of going round smelling bedding you understand....

Much as though l enjoy a large double bed, l really did love the single beds on QE2, they were just so comfortable!!! trouble is there just wasnt enough time to spend in them.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 01:01 PM »
The Good? Just simply to have sailed on her.........and having her as a home for a long time.

Louis

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Treasure those memories, Louis! You knew her better than most of humanity ever will. And, unlike many of us, you knew her both upstairs and downstairs, and that is really special.

It is good to be able to share some of those insights through your, and other crew members', memories and reflections.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 04:58 PM »
And the fresh flowers!
On our tables - even in the more humble-and -such-fun Mauritania
In the cabin - red roses there!
And in all sorts of other places besides...

These were fresh and very beautiful.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/4295368478/in/set-72157621874100381/

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 05:57 PM »
I must admit, l was never  a flower person, but there was always something rather nice to find that someone thought enough to have a bunch delivered, for me it was always the thought more than the flowers itself..

Perhaps we should have a flowers onboard thread..

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2011, 12:30 AM »
How in the name of the wee man do you answer this?
Being stupid, spent 20 years at sea after all, I will try.

QE2 advanced my education, not with degrees but on one side, in life. Some of this was covered in a gay thread somewhere else, to people from other countries, not only passengers but towards the end of MY career the crew. Their thoughts, their careers why they wanted to come to sea...for some it was survival! Volunteering to go to war...at first bravado, then comittment, after getting to know some of the planning staff and feeding them booze, that QE2 was #1 target. Meeting those young soldiers, not GUNG HO just committed to defend their country. The PEOPLE...the staff people...some of whom you HATED!!!! but you knew your life depended on them at times.
The humor, at times very gallows, but needed.
Basically, QE2 made me a better person. Not only work wise but a better people person.
Where else would you, as a 19 year old, be put in charge of a person, just out of jail, after 17 years for manslaughter, and told...handle it!
On the work side, I learned to adapt, adopt and overcome, (sorry USMC) there are no hardware stores in the North Atlantic, and above all to think outside the box!