Author Topic: QE2's Clocks  (Read 6373 times)

Offline Bob C.

Re: QE2's Clocks
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2010, 06:41 PM »
I went through my '69 and '70's photos last night and found there are clocks in many of them.  I think I will crop group and post a "QE2 clock collection" on FLICKR.  Just need to find some time to do it.

Offline Imonlygoingforone

« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:49 AM »
The 'logo' clocks were controlled by the 'master' clock, which was in an electrical locker on the Bridge.

An interesting technique was used, in which a bent paper clip had to be pushed into a hole to allow the clock to be set. (true!)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:02 AM »
I went through my '69 and '70's photos last night and found there are clocks in many of them.  I think I will crop group and post a "QE2 clock collection" on FLICKR.  Just need to find some time to do it.

Guess you can do this when you have time on your hands........ :D
(note to moderator, please feel free to delete this very feeble attempt at a joke)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:50 AM »
The 'logo' clocks were controlled by the 'master' clock, which was in an electrical locker on the Bridge.

An interesting technique was used, in which a bent paper clip had to be pushed into a hole to allow the clock to be set. (true!)

Hello!

Thinking about Time - with hours going forwards, backwards etc,
ship's time and shore time, all in connection with hours on and off Watch
 - setting alarm-clocks, mealtimes etc,

Then about  getting out of 'sync', both practically and physically
Was there a 'routine' or something else  that was necessary,
to help people to adjust to this and these?
Or - was  it just Time itself?!

Rosie.

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2010, 11:57 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:49 PM »
(note to moderator, please feel free to delete this very feeble attempt at a joke)

(rimshot...)

Rob, help!!!  Please!!! 

Offline Jem

« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2010, 08:27 PM »

'Just a Minute Myles. Your really Winding us up here with that joke. It's about Time this sort of thing stopped. I think you need to Toc to someone about it. I feel like a coiled Spring ready to Strike. I think it's about Time I stop now, I feel over Wound as it is!' ;D ;D
(You would not believe the number of clock related ones I've heard over the years while in the trade)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:35 PM »
You would not believe the number of clock related ones I've heard over the years while in the trade
Was this a second hand post then.... :P Ok no more from me on this, we will have the moderators giving us a ticking off
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Jun 21, 2010, 09:27 PM »
I've just found the answer to my question...

QE2 originally had 240 clocks, all controlled by a "GENT of LEICESTER" Master Clock System.  Gent also supplied cabin/service call systems and fire alarm points for QE2 and her 2 predecessors.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Jem

« Reply #28 on: Jun 22, 2010, 03:42 AM »
Thanks for that information Rob. Hope you all have a great forum get together at the weekend. :)

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 692
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 816
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody