Author Topic: Bill Cwiklo's Blog  (Read 3723 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Bill Cwiklo's Blog
« on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Addictive reading, although at times what he writes about is frustrating and depressing.

http://cinemafan2.livejournal.com/
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Bob C.

Re: Bill Cwiklo's Blog
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:59 PM »
I agree but having been to the QM many times, I understand him completely.

bobso

Re: Queen Mary
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2011, 10:19 PM »
Link to a site with details of the Queen Mary as she was just after arriving at Long beach in December 1967--before being gutted and ruined forever--

http://cinemafan2.livejournal.com/10167.html

Bill Cwiklo

« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2012, 01:30 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments on my blog articles re the Queen Mary. 

I live 5 minutes away from it and can see it from my living room window.  That's both a blessing and a curse. 

Some of you may be familiar with the Sterling web site on the QM.  I've been the principal author of that site ably assisted by Julian Hill, its web publisher, Jeff Taylor, who illustrated some features and who comments here,  Sean Hankins, a great QM fan and Steve Covington, a remarkable graphics artist. 

See:  http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/   I believe the conceptual thinking in the Alternative Visions section has important  business ramifications for the new operation of the QE2 in Dubai.   

I first saw the QM in 1980 and was historian and curator there from 1993 to 1995.  What a treasure still waiting for a prince to wake from her slumber.

Best regards,

Bill Cwiklo

Offline heffy2

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Thank you SO much for those pictures Bill!! I have been looking at that wonderful FB page all year, and have been looking for pics of the ship in it's post handover, pre gutting phase for weeks.  :) In about two weeks I will be staying fulfilling a lifelong dream and spending a night aboard the QM. I was wondering if you know of any way I can guarantee getting an original stateroom with the beautiful paneling, and not one with the white walls?

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2012, 03:13 AM »
I was wondering if you know of any way I can guarantee getting an original stateroom with the beautiful paneling, and not one with the white walls?

Request an "original first-class stateroom".    Do so as soon as possible.  If you are there on a weekend, it's like they will be fully booked.
Also, request a "harbor view".  It's just better to look out your beautiful brass porthole to see water rather than a parking lot. 

When you check in, tell them that you want to look at the cabin first, and if you don't' like it tell them you want to see others. 

Be sure to tell us all about it afterwards.    :)
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2012, 08:52 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Bill Meldrum, QE2 Engineer Officer 1995-1999

Started by bmeldrumBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 3
Views: 3267
Last post Jul 24, 2011, 10:56 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Queen Elizabeth 2 by Bill Miller

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 13
Views: 3005
Last post Jun 29, 2022, 08:48 PM