Author Topic: Forum Clyde Weekend - June 25 - 27 2010  (Read 88267 times)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Looking forward to this already.  If we contact the company in advance we could maybe arrange a visit to the bridge, lower engineroom and boiler room for the group. Depending on how many are going?

Hi Folks,

Looking forward to this - with regards to visits to the machinery spaces / bridge.

I would suggest the lower ER is out of bounds now due to H&S issues - there are a lot of extremely hot moving parts down there and also restricted space. The Scottish Branch stopped these visit during our hospitality days as someone injured themselves (minor bump to head) despite being warned time and time again so it is considered by the branch to be too much of a risk however the Chief Eng may be OK with it. There is an amateur video tour of the Lower ER on the LCD TV in the Lower Bar.

The Upper ER (ie control platform) could be a goer as long as the groups are not too big but again this will be at the discretion of the Chief. The boiler room as Helen says, has not much to offer - just a couple of really large kettles!!

As for the bridge it would really depend on who is on that day.

For all those who have not yet decided here are a couple of shots to assist you in your decision!!

(1) We leave from here - Glasgow Science Centre
(2) Then we go "Full Ahead" (with a few stops)..........
(3) (4) To here - Tighnabruaich
(5) Via this channel - the famous narrows - Kyles of Bute

Hopefully the weather will be as kind as in the pictures!!!!

Gav
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2010, 02:21 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline singlemalt

Re: Forum meetups : PS Waverley - Glasgow - Saturday June 26th
« Reply #31 on: Mar 22, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Great photos Gav - my mind was made up and tickets booked already but still very glad to see a few photos to whet my appetite!

Looking forward to catching with with some old & new faces (especially as it seems there's a few experts in our midst)
 .... and definitely up for checking out the whisky situation onboard.

Please by gentle, it's my first time  ;D

Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #32 on: Mar 22, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I think by the time we've met each other, had a chat, talked about the QE2, talked about the Waverley, had something to eat, had something to drink, looked at the scenery.... there'll be little time for anything 'behind the scenes'! 
One of the nice things about the Waverley is that almost the entire ship is open to view anyway.  I'm never happier than when standing with a dram in the engine room watching the paddles go round behind me, and the engine powering away in front of me.

One thing we'll need to be sensitive to, i think, is wearing a Waverley badge next to our QE2 badge to show that we love Waverley too and not just QE2.  The QE2 was out of reach for most Glaswegians, and they also think she was even more expensive than she actually was... I'm sure they'd have been amazed to hear you could go on her for well under £1000.  Thats certainly the impression i got when onboard Waverley and Balmoral with my fellow Clydesiders to watch QE2 go by.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #33 on: Mar 23, 2010, 09:31 AM »
One thing we'll need to be sensitive to, i think, is wearing a Waverley badge next to our QE2 badge to show that we love Waverley too and not just QE2.  The QE2 was out of reach for most Glaswegians, and they also think she was even more expensive than she actually was... I'm sure they'd have been amazed to hear you could go on her for well under £1000.  Thats certainly the impression i got when onboard Waverley and Balmoral with my fellow Clydesiders to watch QE2 go by.

Where can I can buy a Waverley badge?  I checked the Waverley shop page on the web site but they do not have badges for sale.

I am just looking forward to watching the scenery, chatting to everyone and being on the Waverley again.  I would not like to say what age I was the last time I was onboard but I can say it was quite a long time ago.   

I loved the photos posted by Gav and hopefully we get good weather for the day.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #34 on: Mar 23, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Where can I can buy a Waverley badge? 

On board, on the day!  ;D
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clyde Paddler

« Reply #35 on: Mar 23, 2010, 02:15 PM »

As definitely as I can commit to anything at the moment, I shall be there.  I have my 'Life Commodore' ticket, so no need to book ...

Nobody will be offended by the presence/absence of badging of any kind - it is quite usual for the regulars to be there sporting clothing, hats, badges, etc, from other vessels and from their other interests, transport or otherwise.  If you want badges, hats, T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc, these can be acquired on the day, colours and sizes permitting.

A lot of the movers, shakers and other regular PSPS members & passengers did actually make it aboard QE2, though for many of us - myself included - it was not until the 'eleventh hour'.  Apart from perhaps not realising what a bargain could be had, I guess it was down to thinking she would always be there and one would get round to it, sometime.  Certainly, if I'd done it sooner, I would have done it again - and again ...
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #36 on: Mar 24, 2010, 12:30 PM »
Would people like me to try to arrange something for Friday evening too (a pub somewhere for an hour or two?) and also for Sunday lunchtime-ish (The Titan Crane?).  I make no guarantees that I'll be at both... but it might be good to have a location/time in mind for those who wish to gather before/after the waverley and before heading home ?

- R
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 12:54 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #37 on: Mar 24, 2010, 07:17 PM »
Nice idea Rob... specially for those who have travelled a long way for this.....but depending on where folks are staying probably in the city ....Titan Crane isnt an easy place to get to without the car......

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #38 on: Mar 24, 2010, 07:28 PM »
Titan crane's about 5 mins walk from Clydebank train station!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #39 on: Mar 24, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to have somewhere identified to meet up.  At this stage I cannot commit as I am not sure if we will be staying in Glasgow on Friday and Saturday or only one of these nights.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #40 on: Mar 24, 2010, 08:24 PM »
For the untrained Waverly passenger, what are the timings for the day out? when do we leave, How do we get there, Train from Glasgow is it? dress code.
And prey tell me we dont need to download anything do we, Im still trying to get over the downloadable bag tags... ;)
Im hoping to manage down, but its still a while away yet...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #41 on: Mar 25, 2010, 10:56 AM »
Titan crane's about 5 mins walk from Clydebank train station!

ok thanks.....its a long way from out here 'in the hebrides!'

Will be a great weekend,,.you are doing so well Rob gettin all this together,,,,,in fact it may be so good you miught be asked to do it all again next year!! hee hee ,,

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #42 on: Mar 25, 2010, 11:50 AM »
For the untrained Waverly passenger, what are the timings for the day out? when do we leave, How do we get there, Train from Glasgow is it? dress code.
And prey tell me we dont need to download anything do we, Im still trying to get over the downloadable bag tags... ;)
Im hoping to manage down, but its still a while away yet...

Mornin All,

Waverley leaves from Glasgow Science Centre - if you are staying in the City Centre you have a couple of options. Easiest is to get a taxi to the Crowne Plaza Hotel beside the SECC and walk across the Millenium Bridge and down the quayside to the ship. The ship departs Glasgow at 10am so best be in the Q at about 0940. As Waverley proceeds down river there is plenty of time to see the remaining Clyde shipyards (now owned by BAE Systems) and view the former yard of John Brown and the Titan Crane while enjoying a breakfast roll and a cup of coffee from the Dining Saloon. Greenock is the next stop - arrival is usually around 1130. A brief passage across to Helensburgh, then Dunoon, Rothesay. The ship will become quieter at this point for the beautiful sail up the east kyle thru the narrow buoyed channel and into the west kyle - arriving at the wee toon of Tighnabruaich at 1430 where you can have time ashore to walk the short distance into the village or stay on board and explore the vessel when she is quiet. All aboard for a 1540 departure and the return journey back to Glasgow re-visiting all the places we called at on the outward leg. Arrival back at Greenock is normally 1840 with Glasgow arrival at 2015 but sometimes this can be a bit later depending on passenger numbers or if a timetabled ferry service holds us out of Dunoon or Rothesay.

Dress code - whatever you like - it never gets like the Atlantic in a gale but can be breezy!

If you purchase your ticket on line then you'll have to print it but if for some reason you cant just take note of the reference number and quote it to the purser on board on the day!

Sorry for the War & Peace!!

Gav

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #43 on: Mar 25, 2010, 06:19 PM »
VEry clear and concise   thankyou.....

Is there anyone planning on staying at the Crown Plaza hotel....? AM I right in saying that used to be the Moat house?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #44 on: Mar 25, 2010, 08:10 PM »
Is there anyone planning on staying at the Crown Plaza hotel....? AM I right in saying that used to be the Moat house?

We are planning to stay at the Crown Plaza if we can get booked.  We have stayed here couple of times and have always found it to be very comfortable.  Also because it is so near to the the Glasgow Science Centre it will be ideal for walking over to the Waverley on the Saturday.
www.qe2event.com

Forum Members Zoom Chat - May 14th 2020

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 5
Views: 644
Last post May 15, 2020, 09:22 AM
by Twynkle
Forum members links to QE2 photos from around the web

Started by Andy FBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 260
Views: 110969
Last post Jun 25, 2022, 11:45 AM
by Lynda Bradford
The forum's bridgecam library

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 18
Views: 3691
Last post Feb 10, 2023, 11:04 PM
by Chris Thompson
Happy to have been accepted in this forum!

Started by Lester DedmanBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 2
Views: 1679
Last post Oct 16, 2013, 11:36 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Books or video / DVD that mention The QE2 Story Forum.

Started by ChrisBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1407
Last post Jul 22, 2019, 08:11 PM
by Rob Lightbody