Author Topic: Forum Clyde Weekend - June 25 - 27 2010  (Read 88269 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Forum Clyde Weekend - June 25 - 27 2010
« on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I'm going to book for Saturday June 26th - full trip from Glasgow.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2010, 06:29 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

Aye Rob!
 :) Leaves Glasgow at 10.00hrs and returns at 20.15hrs
via - Greenock>Dunoon>Helensburgh>Rothesay>Tighnabruaich>Rothesay>Duniin>Greenock!
Sounds a very good idea indeed!
Can't wait.... :)

Might there be a wee a prize for guessing how many of the 'I love the QE2' Badges there will be present?!
Are there still 50 varieties of Scottish whisky in Waverley's Bar?
And mugs like Waverley's funnel?

Offline highlander0108

I'd love to do this, depending on my future travel plans.  A full day on the Clyde would be perfect.  Is there a way to check if there will be anything significant shipwise in Greenock?  Regarding the 50 brands of whiskey, would we have to sample all?  ;D  Myles has given me some good tips for someone who knows embarrassing little about his national drink!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Clyde Paddler

Crivvens, Ken - Scotch whisky does not have an E in it!!  Not sure how many varieties are in the bar nowadays, but I doubt it's 50, as the bar is not very big and storage can be a challenge.

We do, however, have 'funnel' mugs, as well as many other attractive designs.

Gavin is right, Saturday is not always the most comfortable/enjoyable day, other than the Rothesay-Tighnabruaich-Rothesay leg.  2nd July appears to be like any Friday - OAP day - so they shouldn't be too rowdy.

I'm not sure how many cross-border trips I can justify in the space of a few weeks.  I'll be up for the Western Isles long weekend at the end of May/beginning of June, and again for my timeshare week, 17-24 July inclusive - but I'll keep a lookout for definite gatherings, as the mini one we had last year was good  :)
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Offline highlander0108

Crivvens, Ken - Scotch whisky does not have an E in it!!  Not sure how many varieties are in the bar nowadays, but I doubt it's 50, as the bar is not very big and storage can be a challenge.

Okay, first I had to look up "crivvens" and now I hang my head in shame for insulting my Scottish heritage.  :D I never paid attention to the difference in spellling but have put Myles' recommendations to good use and tried a good single malt over here for the first time!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Lynda Bradford

Hi

I have just joined the forum this week and have been amazed at the enthusiasm of it's members for keeping the memory of the QE2 alive and the amount of information on the ship. I am really interested in the The Wavererly trip. Has the 26 June date been agreed? if so I will try to book as soon as possible.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

Posted by: Rob Lightbody
I'm going to book for Saturday June 26th - full trip from Glasgow.

Posted by: Lynda
...I am really interested in the The Wavererly trip. Has the 26 June date been agreed? if so I will try to book as soon as possible.

Lynda - It'll be great to meet you and everyone else as well!
(Accommodation booked; now waiting for Waverley's Office to open)
Anyone thinking about a Group booking?

Offline Waverley

Looking forward to this already.  If we contact the company in advance we could maybe arrange a visit to the bridge, lower engineroom and boiler room for the group. Depending on how many are going?
Robert

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

I have every intention of being there, but shall not be able to make a firm commitment until a bit closer to the time. Count me in, provisionally!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Guys,

There will be 50 malts in the bar again this season - worry not!!

If I can make it on the 26th I'll board at Greenock - nearer the time would it be an idea to have a meeting place so we dont all wander around the ship passing each other all day?!

Gav

Offline Alistair

Would love to come along.......even for just a trip on the Waverley!
It's in my Diary.

Alistair

Cruise_Princess

Count us in too......me and ma mammy....!!   

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Forum meetups : PS Waverley - Glasgow - Saturday June 26th
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Just to say that I acknowledge what the Waverley regulars are saying that the Saturday will be potentially very rowdy/busy... but I think its still the best option given the route (passing John Browns and return to Glasgow) and that its the weekend (not everybody can take days off work!).  For those travelling a distance, they'll probably need to take the Friday off anyway to get to Glasgow on time.

If, however, anybody else wants to go on another date as well, and to try to round up some troops, so to speak, feel free to start a new topic about this.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clyde Paddler

Looking forward to this already.  If we contact the company in advance we could maybe arrange a visit to the bridge, lower engineroom and boiler room for the group. Depending on how many are going?

The bridge might be a possibility (a few at a time and depending on which captain it is on the day), but I think the other two locations will be out, certainly for health and safety reasons.  The last time I was in the boiler room, I managed to burn myself, even though there was a lot less of me then, than there is currently!  There's really nothing to see there, anyway.

If I do get up for this, my normal embarkation point is also Greenock (it's easier access, cheaper parking and an extra couple of hours in bed!) - but she does go past John Brown's on Sundays as well.

I could also make yet another attempt for an Ailsa Craig trip on the Sunday, which is something that has evaded me all my life and will do again during my July visit - even when I was on the crew - for reasons of timining, weather or other 'logistics'

Hmmm, I think I feel another visit north coming on ...
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Offline Cruisemarsh

Re: Forum meetups : PS Waverley - Glasgow - Saturday June 26th
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Count me in and plus one other, my Aunt want's to go. (provisionally)
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Forum Members Zoom Chat - May 14th 2020

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 5
Views: 644
Last post May 15, 2020, 09:22 AM
by Twynkle
Forum members links to QE2 photos from around the web

Started by Andy FBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 260
Views: 110973
Last post Jun 25, 2022, 11:45 AM
by Lynda Bradford
The forum's bridgecam library

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 18
Views: 3691
Last post Feb 10, 2023, 11:04 PM
by Chris Thompson
Happy to have been accepted in this forum!

Started by Lester DedmanBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 2
Views: 1680
Last post Oct 16, 2013, 11:36 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Books or video / DVD that mention The QE2 Story Forum.

Started by ChrisBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1407
Last post Jul 22, 2019, 08:11 PM
by Rob Lightbody