Author Topic: Forum Clyde Weekend - June 25 - 27 2010  (Read 48493 times)

Online cunardqueen

Re: Forum meetups : PS Waverley - Glasgow - Saturday June 26th
« Reply #40 on: Mar 24, 2010, 08:24 PM »
For the untrained Waverly passenger, what are the timings for the day out? when do we leave, How do we get there, Train from Glasgow is it? dress code.
And prey tell me we dont need to download anything do we, Im still trying to get over the downloadable bag tags... ;)
Im hoping to manage down, but its still a while away yet...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #41 on: Mar 25, 2010, 10:56 AM »
Titan crane's about 5 mins walk from Clydebank train station!

ok thanks.....its a long way from out here 'in the hebrides!'

Will be a great weekend,,.you are doing so well Rob gettin all this together,,,,,in fact it may be so good you miught be asked to do it all again next year!! hee hee ,,

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #42 on: Mar 25, 2010, 11:50 AM »
For the untrained Waverly passenger, what are the timings for the day out? when do we leave, How do we get there, Train from Glasgow is it? dress code.
And prey tell me we dont need to download anything do we, Im still trying to get over the downloadable bag tags... ;)
Im hoping to manage down, but its still a while away yet...

Mornin All,

Waverley leaves from Glasgow Science Centre - if you are staying in the City Centre you have a couple of options. Easiest is to get a taxi to the Crowne Plaza Hotel beside the SECC and walk across the Millenium Bridge and down the quayside to the ship. The ship departs Glasgow at 10am so best be in the Q at about 0940. As Waverley proceeds down river there is plenty of time to see the remaining Clyde shipyards (now owned by BAE Systems) and view the former yard of John Brown and the Titan Crane while enjoying a breakfast roll and a cup of coffee from the Dining Saloon. Greenock is the next stop - arrival is usually around 1130. A brief passage across to Helensburgh, then Dunoon, Rothesay. The ship will become quieter at this point for the beautiful sail up the east kyle thru the narrow buoyed channel and into the west kyle - arriving at the wee toon of Tighnabruaich at 1430 where you can have time ashore to walk the short distance into the village or stay on board and explore the vessel when she is quiet. All aboard for a 1540 departure and the return journey back to Glasgow re-visiting all the places we called at on the outward leg. Arrival back at Greenock is normally 1840 with Glasgow arrival at 2015 but sometimes this can be a bit later depending on passenger numbers or if a timetabled ferry service holds us out of Dunoon or Rothesay.

Dress code - whatever you like - it never gets like the Atlantic in a gale but can be breezy!

If you purchase your ticket on line then you'll have to print it but if for some reason you cant just take note of the reference number and quote it to the purser on board on the day!

Sorry for the War & Peace!!

Gav

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #43 on: Mar 25, 2010, 06:19 PM »
VEry clear and concise   thankyou.....

Is there anyone planning on staying at the Crown Plaza hotel....? AM I right in saying that used to be the Moat house?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #44 on: Mar 25, 2010, 08:10 PM »
Is there anyone planning on staying at the Crown Plaza hotel....? AM I right in saying that used to be the Moat house?

We are planning to stay at the Crown Plaza if we can get booked.  We have stayed here couple of times and have always found it to be very comfortable.  Also because it is so near to the the Glasgow Science Centre it will be ideal for walking over to the Waverley on the Saturday.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #45 on: Mar 25, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Thanks for the info from me too Gav!

Very much looking forward to a day of seeing the sights and catching up with some fellow ship geeks for a wee QE2 Fans support group meeting.
Here's to beautiful weather, badges, photo opportunites and stories aplenty  ;D

Yes as well to possible Friday night / Sunday Glasgow based adventures - had a fab few years living there at Uni so glad of any excuse to return to my old stomping grounds  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2010, 09:45 PM by singlemalt »
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #46 on: Mar 26, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Folks,

I was talking to Waverley's Chief Engineer (Gordon Reid) yesterday about other bits and pieces and happened to mention our little get together in June.

Providing he is on that day he has said there is no problem with those us who are interested, visiting the control platform (Upper Engine Room) at a convenient point during our day. This area is the position from which the CE or 2nd Eng operate the mighty triple expansion steam engine and thus has a commanding view over this Greenock built masterpiece (I'm biased BTW!). Either Gordon or myself can give a short explanation of how she works etc.

I would suggest that the best time for this is on the return leg between Rothesay and Dunoon as some of us are getting off at Greenock so might miss it if it happened on the upriver leg to Glasgow (ie me!!) and the ship gets busier after Dunoon as well.

For those interested I may be able to get a walk thru the boiler room.

Hope this might be of interest to some.  :D

Gav

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #47 on: Mar 26, 2010, 10:08 AM »
Thank you, Gav
That sounds really interesting.
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #48 on: Mar 27, 2010, 02:31 PM »
A quick check on some hotels in Glasgow for the weekend tells me a lot are showing as full. Is there something else on that weekend, aside from the QE2 gathering??

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #49 on: Mar 27, 2010, 03:54 PM »
The Glasgow International Jazz Festival is on 18 to 27 June.  Plus there is also the West End Festival 12 to 27 June.  These two events may be the reason for the hotels being full.  I need to check some hotels and try to get booked otherwise we will be travelling through to Glasgow on the day. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clyde Paddler

« Reply #50 on: Mar 29, 2010, 05:08 PM »

I am now booked in at the Premier Inn at Greenock, which is currently on offer at £29 per room (twin, double, family), per night and can be booked online at www.premierinn.com.  Normal rate is £54 per room, so I suggest you go for it soon, if you want one or more at the offer price.  If you are young and/or fit and/or keen, it is within walking distance of Customhouse Quay, where Waverley calls, or a 2-minute drive there, where there is free parking.

Also not too far from the railway station, if you want to sail "doon the watter" in the morning, and/or back up at night.  From memory, I think there's a train about every 20 minutes.

I guess this means I am now a definite definite ;D
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #51 on: Mar 29, 2010, 11:57 PM »
Hope this helps:

For info the trains are at xx.05, xx.25 and xx.35 from Glasgow Central to Greenock.  Destination is Gourock.

There are two stations in Greenock as well - Central and West.

Return trains are at xx.15, xx.32 and xx.45* from Central.  Frequency drops to approximately ½ hourly after the 19.54 until the 22.29 then the last one is at 23.29.

*A few minutes later after 17.54 inclusive.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Waverley

« Reply #52 on: Apr 07, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Finally bought the ticket. I will join the ship at Helensburgh. Look forward to meeting everyone.
Robert

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #53 on: Apr 07, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Yay!  Thats great Robert, look forward to seeing you on board once again!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline rough crossing

« Reply #54 on: Apr 23, 2010, 12:00 PM »
Well I hope there's room for two more QE2 fans! - am in receipt of our tickets - just not sure if we will be getting on at Glasgow or Greenock yet.

Cheers,

Jim (Rough Crossing) and Jan

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #55 on: Apr 23, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Welcome aboard Jim & Jan!  Look forward to meeting you on board.

That takes us to 15 people confirmed, with more likely.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clyde Paddler

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2010, 09:14 AM »
Tyne Turbine will also be there ...
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2010, 10:18 AM »
Rob
 Count me in!!! will be travelling down on the Friday and back home on the Sunday.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #58 on: Jun 01, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Not long to go, anyone got tickets yet? or what about upgrades LOL
Anyone at the packing the suitcases stage yet ;)

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #59 on: Jun 04, 2010, 01:11 PM »
Who's bringing the red umbrella?
Full Away on Passage.

Log of QE2 Story Forum member meet ups.

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 4
Views: 2984
Last post Aug 04, 2009, 09:07 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
"A Sea Story" by a Forum member