Author Topic: QE2 43rd "birthday", live from Clydebank  (Read 10038 times)

Cruise_Princess

Re: QE2 43rd "birthday", live from Clydebank
« Reply #40 on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:16 AM »
So sorry about the broadcast Rob that was a real shame....

I know we all go on about bringing QE2 'home'...but to be honest if they can't even bother to remember her or her predecessors or even   the famous yards what chance would the ship herself have? Would they just let her lie there and rot???  As you say the younger folks have no interest whatsoever...they are merely interested in how many texts they can receive in a minute etc....history like that has no meaning...and even as they get older I still don't think it will mean anything to them...
It saddens me so deeply.....that yard should have been kept as a maritime museum. And I had thought Singers clock tower was to remain...seemingly not...everything flattened and  just left.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #41 on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:37 AM »
Welll.... the TALK itself went well (perhaps Gavin can confirm that he think sso too!) but sadly the technology let Iain, the event organiser, down.  It was completely out of my hands.  However it has hopefully been recorded and should be available on DVD and perhaps online somehow.  I'm sorry to those of you disappointed, and I'll make sure you get a refund.  I enjoyed meeting a variety of people.

It was quite moving I found, to be showing the video of the launch, as i looked out the window over the exact place where it happened, standing in the Cunard suite. 

Clydebank inspires and depresses me in roughly equal measures.  There is so little recognition or evidence of what happened there, and I don't just mean the ships, and I don't feel like the young people have any idea.  I had bemused looks at the QE2 banner - on the exact spot where 43 years ago today enormous crowds stood cheering as an enormous ship entered the water.  except the odd street sign.  Even the museum is to close, and has no location to re-open in.  Plans for the site of the shipyard include a waste recycling plant...

I have 2 ideas - (1) is to simply paint a big red line along the pathway indicating the size of, for instance, the QE  (2) is to build a replica funnel of, for instance, QE or QE2 - to the correct scale - and place it at a cross roads, highly visible, floodlit.

Folks,

Rob did the old girl proud last night - starting off with a moving message from the ship's last captain, touching briefly on the previous Queens through the concept Q3 then triumphantly arriving at the launch of Q4. Facts and figures abound we then took a journey through QE2's 40yr life including her role as a troop ship during the Falklands campaign and how this led to the replacement of her propulsion system in 86/87.
Rob fielded questions during a short break and then we went full ahead into QE2's later life with Cunard, touching on the fact that whilst in the early part of her career QE2 was marketed as something new and space age - she went retro in a big way during the latter part, becoming a celebration of the classic age of the ocean liner. Comparisons were made with QM2 and some superb shots of QE2 doing what she does best - battling the North Atlantic - taken from QM2 during one of their tandem crossings.
After a short film showing her leaving Southampton for the final time and shots of her arrival in Dubai Rob discussed the original plans for the ship had Nakeel still actually had the cash to do them and the room agreed that it was a mercy that they didnt!!  ;D

Rob then wound up proceedings comparing the three vessels which have bore the words Queen Elizabeth on their bow suggesting that although the new QE was absolutely not a replacement for QE2 that she may possess some of the atmosphere of the older ship due her similar size and also due to the number of ex QE2 people amongst her crew. The presentation ended with another Q&A and the raffle draw.

So an excellent evening was had by all who attended - it was a pity that the technical difficulties precluded the forum from witnessing this. Rob said at the beginning that he was biased towards QE2 and that the presentation would reflect this - you know something? It wasnt biased, it came from the heart and everyone in the room felt it so stand up and take a bow Rob Lightbody - on her 43rd Birthday the legend that is QE2 was very much alive in the place of her birth!!

Cheers

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #42 on: Sep 21, 2010, 08:41 AM »
I know we all go on about bringing QE2 'home'...but to be honest if they can't even bother to remember her or her predecessors or even   the famous yards what chance would the ship herself have? Would they just let her lie there and rot???  As you say the younger folks have no interest whatsoever...they are merely interested in how many texts they can receive in a minute etc....history like that has no meaning...and even as they get older I still don't think it will mean anything to them...
It saddens me so deeply.....that yard should have been kept as a maritime museum. And I had thought Singers clock tower was to remain...seemingly not...everything flattened and  just left.

Hi Cruise Princess,

Rob said last night that Cpt McNaught would like to see QE2 back on the Clyde - whilst it is a nice thought - as you say we can barely preserve the small parts of our heritage here let alone a LARGE part of it!!! If QE2 were to return to the UK it should be to Southampton. Although she was brought into the world on the Clyde her home was Southampton - it was the port she always returned to. As for the younger generation - they need people educating them in a manner which makes them want to know more before they will appreciate what (at one time at least) put the Great into Great Britain. Unfortunately the people who could make the difference are too busy pandering to Brussels to be bothered.

Rob kept the flag flying last night tho!!  8)
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2010, 03:46 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #43 on: Sep 21, 2010, 09:01 AM »
SO very very true......Clydebuilt,

And yes I too think Southampton would be the best place  imagine staying on QE2 pre or post cruise  I'd never get off!! It would be a real  pull there though and would work better than on the Clyde we just don;t have the numbers of tourists etc to justify it.. ( or the right Government!!)  .as much as I would like to see it happen....

God Bless her...

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #44 on: Sep 21, 2010, 09:40 AM »
Congratulations Rob.  You have done us proud and I was really pleased to hear that last night's talk was so successful. email from Clydebank tours this morning is offering recorded footed on USTREAM and a DVD which I will look forward to. 

The problem with Clydebank is that the town no longer exists.  During the blitz in 1941 German aircraft failed to demolish the town, it's shipyard and Singers Sewing machine factory.  But the town planners of recent years have succeded where the German offensive failed and have also managed to take the town's identity away.  I was reading somewhere recently that even Clydebank's Coat of Arms had been changed to remove the ship and sewing maching that identified the town with it's industrial past.   I can see why they would want to remove the dirty old industrial town image but not to take away her heritage. 

When I was on the QV round Britain cruise I could not help but notice the development in Dublin and Liverpool where considerable investment had been made. But in Greenock (a cruise port that should have potential) people got off the ship and where faced with derelict buildings as they walked from the port area.  I could not help but feel that Scotland had somehow missed out in the boom years when investment was available. In the current economic climate the hopes of QE2's return to the Clyde is fading fast. 

Once again Rob Well Done.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #45 on: Sep 21, 2010, 09:50 AM »
How awful to remove those emblems form the coat of arms this is unbelievable...seems `Scotland just wants to airbrush the past and everything about it...that really shocked me Lynda wiping out such heritage,,,the yanks go mad for it...we just destroy it.
And yes I agree about Greenock...mind you the cruise terminal is a King to what it was a few years ago...it was full of giant rolls of paper waiting to be shipped it was a real hole... but with 29 cruise ship calls this year there has to be room for considerable investment ....I often wonder what folks think when they come off at Greenock?  I do think also that this is why a lot of  Cruise Companies miss Greenock and stop at Leith or Rosyth which has a bit more to offer....it's a real missed opportunity. 

When on Silver Cloud a couple of weeks ago so many passengers stayed on board at Greenock.....it was quite sad really as so many of these  ( very well off)  passengers have not seen Scotland at all....and have a lot of money to spend...so why oh why don't we do something about it?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Sep 21, 2010, 10:56 AM »
I just had a very nice email from Owen from 'MyClydebankPhotos' who was at the talk last night and really enjoyed it.  He has put a couple of photos on his site from 43 years ago - you will be interested to see them - scroll halfway down the page

http://www.myclydebankphotos.co.uk/

he says
Quote from: Owen
Have you heard of a man called Charlie white?  A man called Tommy Burns who lives in Canada now but used to work in John Brown's sent me two photos of his wifes grandfather, Charlie White, who in actual fact launched the QE2 by pulling the trigger that sent it on its way. Charlie had worked in John Brown's since he was 14 years old with absences to serve on both world wars as a member of the Royal Navy. He retired on the day of the launch at the ripe old age of 73, there was no mandatory retirement at the time, and the biggest concession made to him was that, he was allowed to wear a collar and tie for the day. One of the photos is him with Prince Philip. They are on my home page for a couple of days as tribute to QE2's anniversary of the launch, but they are also in my Guest Photos page. I have lost touch with Tommy as he doesn't reply to my emails now. He sent me some newspaper cuttings but they were such low res, I couldn't read them properly.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #47 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:15 AM »
'Morning Rob

Thank you and Iain very much - it's good to look forward to something special about QE2.

Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #48 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Glad to hear that the talk went well Rob... just a pity the technology let you down. I had intended to watch on the internet but when I went to the eventbrite website the webpage said the event was closed and I couldn't book myself in to watch.
If a DVD ever becomes available, I'd buy a copy  :)

Anyway Rob, well done for keeping the legend alive!
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #49 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Thanks to Gavin for his kind words and his review!

The Clydebank College suite was perfect because of its location and wonderful view.  The Audio-visual setup, and kitchen alongside were also perfect for what we needed
BUT
why could it not just have wi-fi!?  This would have made Iain's job, the event organiser, hugely easier and not only that it would make the College's IT staff's job easier as they tried to provide us with ethernet cables, and exceptions for specific machines etc.  I felt that they were not used to having external people come in to use the suite, in fact when we checked the suite a week or two beforehand it was basically being used as an extra classroom.

I enjoyed working with Iain and Stephen from Clyde Walking Tours throughout the day, It was their idea to do yesterday's events, and I wouldn't have done it without them.

They're doing great work in Clydebank, and they're trying to keep Clydebank's history alive.  They might be the only ones from what I can see, but they don't seem to get enough support from the local community.  One bright light yesterday was the local MP, Gemma Doyle, who had family links with John Browns and was totally enthusiastic about what Iain is doing.  But in general, to be honest, it was a real struggle to get anyone to attend yesterday which really surprised and disappointed me.  I don't mean QE2 fans, I just mean some of the local people, after work perhaps, or in the college itself.

So, I think next time, the venue for me will be in Glasgow, hopefully at the new transport museum! (might as well aim high), but I look forward to keeping in touch with Clyde Walking Tours and helping them try to keep Clydebank's Legend Alive, including the great ships that were built there!  Next step is to develop a new 60 minute talk, on the 3 Clyde Cunard Queens.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #50 on: Dec 26, 2010, 11:34 PM »
Robert

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #51 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:46 AM »
That's a great write-up of a great day. You have been far too modest, Rob  :D  . I am glad to see that your hard work has been well appreciated.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #52 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:54 AM »
 :D

Pleased to see recognition for the effort that Rob had put in to ensure the success of the day "Very knowledgeable guy" was the quote.  Also well done to Waverley for finding this and posting.  
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #53 on: Dec 27, 2010, 01:54 PM »
That's a great write-up of a great day. You have been far too modest, Rob  :D  . I am glad to see that your hard work has been well appreciated.

Isabelle what you have written is so true.

Rob - you go very much further than 'the extra mile' for QE2
 - and specially for people who are interested and wanting to learn more.

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Seth Gopin - Cunard Lecturer - Live Skyscraper lecture series

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 3
Views: 220
Last post Apr 14, 2020, 06:31 AM
by Cunarder Man
Sottish Screen Archive film: Public view QE2 in Clydebank (November 1968)

Started by WaverleyBoard QE2 build film footage/videos

Replies: 0
Views: 1167
Last post Jun 14, 2009, 02:53 PM
by Waverley
Warning: Live Performance Can Seriously Damage Your Health (and Ego)

Started by garywilliamsBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 9
Views: 2284
Last post Feb 24, 2011, 09:15 PM
by Janice Naylor
Clydebank Post QE2 Feature

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 3
Views: 1502
Last post Aug 12, 2013, 09:30 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Live from RMS Queen Mary 2 for the 175th anniversary voyage to Halifax