Author Topic: Forum Clyde Weekend - June 25 - 27 2010  (Read 48490 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Forum Clyde Weekend - June 25 - 27 2010
« on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I'm going to book for Saturday June 26th - full trip from Glasgow.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2010, 06:29 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

Aye Rob!
 :) Leaves Glasgow at 10.00hrs and returns at 20.15hrs
via - Greenock>Dunoon>Helensburgh>Rothesay>Tighnabruaich>Rothesay>Duniin>Greenock!
Sounds a very good idea indeed!
Can't wait.... :)

Might there be a wee a prize for guessing how many of the 'I love the QE2' Badges there will be present?!
Are there still 50 varieties of Scottish whisky in Waverley's Bar?
And mugs like Waverley's funnel?
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline highlander0108

I'd love to do this, depending on my future travel plans.  A full day on the Clyde would be perfect.  Is there a way to check if there will be anything significant shipwise in Greenock?  Regarding the 50 brands of whiskey, would we have to sample all?  ;D  Myles has given me some good tips for someone who knows embarrassing little about his national drink!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Clyde Paddler

Crivvens, Ken - Scotch whisky does not have an E in it!!  Not sure how many varieties are in the bar nowadays, but I doubt it's 50, as the bar is not very big and storage can be a challenge.

We do, however, have 'funnel' mugs, as well as many other attractive designs.

Gavin is right, Saturday is not always the most comfortable/enjoyable day, other than the Rothesay-Tighnabruaich-Rothesay leg.  2nd July appears to be like any Friday - OAP day - so they shouldn't be too rowdy.

I'm not sure how many cross-border trips I can justify in the space of a few weeks.  I'll be up for the Western Isles long weekend at the end of May/beginning of June, and again for my timeshare week, 17-24 July inclusive - but I'll keep a lookout for definite gatherings, as the mini one we had last year was good  :)
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Offline highlander0108

Crivvens, Ken - Scotch whisky does not have an E in it!!  Not sure how many varieties are in the bar nowadays, but I doubt it's 50, as the bar is not very big and storage can be a challenge.

Okay, first I had to look up "crivvens" and now I hang my head in shame for insulting my Scottish heritage.  :D I never paid attention to the difference in spellling but have put Myles' recommendations to good use and tried a good single malt over here for the first time!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Lynda Bradford

Hi

I have just joined the forum this week and have been amazed at the enthusiasm of it's members for keeping the memory of the QE2 alive and the amount of information on the ship. I am really interested in the The Wavererly trip. Has the 26 June date been agreed? if so I will try to book as soon as possible.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

Posted by: Rob Lightbody
I'm going to book for Saturday June 26th - full trip from Glasgow.

Posted by: Lynda
...I am really interested in the The Wavererly trip. Has the 26 June date been agreed? if so I will try to book as soon as possible.

Lynda - It'll be great to meet you and everyone else as well!
(Accommodation booked; now waiting for Waverley's Office to open)
Anyone thinking about a Group booking?
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Waverley

Looking forward to this already.  If we contact the company in advance we could maybe arrange a visit to the bridge, lower engineroom and boiler room for the group. Depending on how many are going?
Robert

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

I have every intention of being there, but shall not be able to make a firm commitment until a bit closer to the time. Count me in, provisionally!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Guys,

There will be 50 malts in the bar again this season - worry not!!

If I can make it on the 26th I'll board at Greenock - nearer the time would it be an idea to have a meeting place so we dont all wander around the ship passing each other all day?!

Gav

Offline Alistair

Would love to come along.......even for just a trip on the Waverley!
It's in my Diary.

Alistair

Cruise_Princess

Count us in too......me and ma mammy....!!   

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Forum meetups : PS Waverley - Glasgow - Saturday June 26th
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Just to say that I acknowledge what the Waverley regulars are saying that the Saturday will be potentially very rowdy/busy... but I think its still the best option given the route (passing John Browns and return to Glasgow) and that its the weekend (not everybody can take days off work!).  For those travelling a distance, they'll probably need to take the Friday off anyway to get to Glasgow on time.

If, however, anybody else wants to go on another date as well, and to try to round up some troops, so to speak, feel free to start a new topic about this.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clyde Paddler

Looking forward to this already.  If we contact the company in advance we could maybe arrange a visit to the bridge, lower engineroom and boiler room for the group. Depending on how many are going?

The bridge might be a possibility (a few at a time and depending on which captain it is on the day), but I think the other two locations will be out, certainly for health and safety reasons.  The last time I was in the boiler room, I managed to burn myself, even though there was a lot less of me then, than there is currently!  There's really nothing to see there, anyway.

If I do get up for this, my normal embarkation point is also Greenock (it's easier access, cheaper parking and an extra couple of hours in bed!) - but she does go past John Brown's on Sundays as well.

I could also make yet another attempt for an Ailsa Craig trip on the Sunday, which is something that has evaded me all my life and will do again during my July visit - even when I was on the crew - for reasons of timining, weather or other 'logistics'

Hmmm, I think I feel another visit north coming on ...
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Count me in and plus one other, my Aunt want's to go. (provisionally)
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Count me in and plus one other, my Aunt want's to go. (provisionally)
Great! Please be aware that you need to arrange it all yourself, every man (and woman) for him/herself!!

lshaw16

« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2010, 01:27 PM »
 I could maybe let you all know the results of my research en route, as it will be finished by then

Lynsey

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2010, 02:14 PM »
That would definitely be an added attraction! But I hope you will also let the rest of us, who may not be able to come, know a bit more about your research when the time comes. Really looking forward to reading the outcome if possible  :D  !

lshaw16

« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Ofcourse I will, don't worry about that!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Roll Call : Waverley 26th June, Glasgow
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2010, 10:47 PM »
This is a list of people for the Waverley trip -

Please let us know on the other topic - Click here - if you wish to be added to this list.

DEFINITELY coming and have booked tickets :-  

Rob Lightbody (me!)
Glasgow Return
Creator and administrator/"editor" of this forum, owner of one of the very first ever QE2 websites, lifelong QE2 fan due to father working at John Browns and on QE2.  Despite all this only every actually spent 15 nights on board!

"Singlemalt" Ali  
Glasgow Return
Ali made many trips on QE2, and has also done so on many other cruise ships including QM2, QV and others.  She also very recently visited QE2 in Dubai.  Her father worked on construction of the famous SS Oriana at the Vickers-Armstrong shipyard in Barrow in Furness, near to where Ali still lives.

"Lynda" Bradford & husband Tom
Glasgow Return
Born & Raised in Clydebank where QE2 was built, and have followed her progress from day #1.  Travelled on QE2 - more information in her introduction - click on her name to go to it.

Rosie "Twynkle"
Glasgow Return
Very enthusiastic QE2 supporter - and easily the most prolific poster on the forum!

Ann "CruisePrincess" and her Mammy
Glasgow Return

Myles "Cunardqueen"
Glasgow Return
A big name in the online QE2 world for many years and a big name here.  Myles is our 'badge man'.  He travelled on QE2 first as a teenager - on his own! - and then got totally addicted and travelled on her regularly until her retirement.  The fact that Myles lives in the Scottish Highlands makes all of this even more amazing!  Myles is now one of the very best supporters of this forum.  Click on his name to read his introduction.

Pat "luzparis" & Jerome
Glasgow Return
Pat is from Portugal, but works in Paris where he designs interiors for luxury yachts and superyachts.  He has been on board QM2, but regrets never going on QE2.  As an expert, he loves QE2's original interiors, but does not like her late mixture of styles and colours.  English is a second language for him and Jerome who will be with him speaks no English at all!  If any of you speak French, please do so to make them feel welcome.

John Little & his wife
Glasgow Return
John is a HUGE QE2 Fan, has a large collection of "stuff" about/from the ship, was on the final voyage and has travelled on board her many times.

Anthony "CruiseMarsh" and his Aunt
Glasgow Return

Margaret & Frank Gradwell
Glasgow Return

Gavin "Clydebuilt1971" and partner  
Greenock Return
Gavin is from Greenock and a Waverley expert and supporter, in addition to all other Clydebuilt shipping.  He has travelled on QM2 3 times.

Helen "Clydepaddler"
Greenock Return
 Helen is a Waverley expert and supporter - a member of the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society - PSPS.  A former galley slave and bar manager aboard the Mighty Paddler - the bar in question being our favourite - the 'laundrette' - which at that time (1988) was the Lang's Supreme Whisky Bar.She also is a fan of classic cars, and owns an MG and numerous Jaguars.  Click on her name to read her introduction for more information.

Alan & Shona Connor "QE2 whistle".
Greenock Return
Clydesiders Alan and Shona managed to step on board QE2 very recently in Dubai!  They also shared their marvellous photos with us.  Click on their name to read their introduction for more information and to see the photos!

Tyne Turbine
Greenock Return
Another Robert, and anotherWaverley expert and supporter!  A huge QM1 fan, and saw QE2 being built on her slipway from the decks of the Waverley!!

Jim (Rough Crossing) and Jan
Greenock Return
Jim and Jan have made many crossings on QE2 and QM2 and saw QE2 off on her final voyage from the Shieldhall in Southampton.

Robert "Waverley"
Helensburgh Return
  Robert is a Waverley expert and supporter and has, amongst other things, built a working replica of Waverley's triple-expansion steam engine.  He has travelled on both QE2 and QM2 and lives near Bathgate in Scotland.

Alistair Hay, daughter and granddaughter!
Alistair grew up in Clydebank, remembers QE2 being built, and the day she sailed away "she looked absolutely stunnng".  He did not see her again until 2007 when she returned for 40th birthday celebrations and also saw her in Dubai immediately after her arrival there.

Hoping to be there :-  

"Lynsey Shaw"    

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2010, 12:59 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Log of QE2 Story Forum member meet ups.

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 4
Views: 2984
Last post Aug 04, 2009, 09:07 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
"A Sea Story" by a Forum member

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 4
Views: 2835
Last post Apr 16, 2018, 10:34 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski