Author Topic: QE2's Final day in NYC - October 16th, 2008  (Read 7843 times)

Ocean Liner Fanatic

QE2's Final day in NYC - October 16th, 2008
« on: Feb 27, 2009, 02:12 PM »
Here is another news video of the QE2 sailing out of New York for the last time.

The QM2 is also seen in this video

Regards,

Jerry
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2022, 04:23 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline highlander0108

Re: Some of The QE2 Anniversaries!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2009, 06:24 AM »
October 16, 2008 - Final Departure from New York City and the last time I would see her.  :'(

I was passing through New York today for work and took notice of the significance of the day.

Ken
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2009, 09:55 PM »
Beautiful photo!  I wish I had gone to see her in NY for a final time - I went down on 10/17 to see a show on Broadway - I wish I had gone a day earlier but the cost was just too much!
Kathy

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2009, 12:27 AM »
Beautiful photo!  I wish I had gone to see her in NY for a final time - I went down on 10/17 to see a show on Broadway - I wish I had gone a day earlier but the cost was just too much!

It was a bittersweet day for sure. That photo is how I will remember her, but I can tell you as our chartered ferry returned, it was a very quiet return to the pier, with most of us staring off in the distance, watching our ship fade into the distance.  For me, QE2 showed me how great a city New York can be, having been back to visit four times since January 2008 when I arrived at the Manhattan Pier for the first time.  I can make it to the pier in under two hours time.  The entire family went last weekend and I got my ship fix in, but long to be back at sea.  January 2011 is a long way of for our next trip, the QE maiden transatlantic crossing.

http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/2009/10/new-york-october-10-2009.html

Ken

Offline highlander0108

New York Final Departure
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2010, 03:14 PM »
Here's a short clip of QE2 backing out of the Manhattan pier for the final time, taken with my Nikon d90 in video mode.  You can here the Tyfon's too.  Cunardqueen and a few other regulars here are on the observation deck somewhere.  To the right is the Carnival Miracle, a Vista sista to QV. Just above QE2's funnel, is the Empire State Building and the new New York Times Building to the left.

I was surprised how quickly she got moving since other departures seemed to take forever to back out into the Hudson.  You can see the water kicking up a bit on the stern.  The amount of helicopters buzzing around was amazing and a bit annoying too.  Enjoy.

Online cunardqueen

Re: New York Final Departure
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Ken,
 As always a great video. I must admit l was surprised just how quickly she docked and undocked both in terms of time and actual speed. In my earlier crossings and l havent done them since 1991, it always seemed a bit more slower.
 When we left the terminal l was also surprised at how long we seemed to drift down the Hudson before turning the 45 degrees to point down the Husdson. I was positioned under the bridge with my rainbow flag waving,and in the  the cold light of day this was my last departure from a place where l had first sailed into some 22 years before, on what for me is a ship that l hold very dear, and sadly these new ones do not float my boat :(
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Chris

Final day in NYC
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:50 AM »

Neat little time lapse video.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Chris

Final day in NYC
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2010, 04:23 AM »
This little video was sent to me from a twitter follower - just so proud to see QE2.

I love the HUGE Cunard letters!

🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline highlander0108

Re: Final day in NYC
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Final call to New York City, two years ago today, hard to believe. 

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2010, 11:48 PM »
Thanks Highlander.  I can still remember seeing her slip out of sight beyond the Verrazano, just like it was yesterday.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2010, 11:18 PM »
Thanks Ken for sharing the link with us, and your choice of music, to start with the National Anthem as QE2 leaves New York for the last time and the time to say goodbye.It fills you with pride and leaves a warm inner glow and installs the pride that makes one proud.

I found the last day in NY a mixture of emotions, but spent in great company ;) the hurry to get to QE2 before she sailed, no time for any outside photos, the chance for a few choice words with Ms Marlow and seeing the check-in terminal empty,there wasn't the usual hubbub of excitement nor for that matter any passengers,Boarding for the last time, no final embarkation photo. Then as the lifeboat drill took place l could, while it was so quiet, secure my place under the bridge wing and from there l never moved till we sailed under the bridge.
 It had been just over 22 years since l stood on that very spot as l left NY for the first time,and as the memories of all that had gone before here l was saying goodbye for the last time, It didn't seem like a time to be cheerful and chattering all around so l was just happy to be there surrounded,but  yet alone with my thoughts and memories, and really all l wanted to do was howl my eyes out, but that wouldn't have been very British so l didn't.
 It was strange to have been onboard for 3 weeks, my pre planning of things l wanted to do and see went pear shaped, but a final turn round the decks each night provided the moments alone to reflect and as the QM2 sailed along close by, there really were times l could have seen her far enough, The Atlantic belonged to QE2 and no other ship had any business while QE2 ruled the waves.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2010, 01:58 AM »
Then as the lifeboat drill took place l could, while it was so quiet, secure my place under the bridge wing and from there l never moved till we sailed under the bridge.

Easy to spot with the rainbow flag!

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:17 AM »
Final call to New York City, two years ago today, hard to believe. 

And on 26/11/2010 it's two years of time that QE2 could have still been at sea, wasted!

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2010, 02:28 AM »

Easy to spot with the rainbow flag!

And I'm just by Myles, blue shirt and the lens of my camera clearly visible.

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline skilly56

« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2010, 05:26 AM »
Ken,

Thanks very much for posting the NY departure clip - very moving, and yet inspirational as well. My computer screen is a 19" wide format one, and it lengthens the ship somewhat and makes it appear even sleeker than she really was.

I wonder if any shipping company in the future will pick up on the large void that has been created by her departure. Maybe an entrepreneur with a love for the sea, and ships with beautiful lines and a warm, enveloping interior, may some day decide to build a similar ship - I don't think one would have any trouble filling the cabins.

Micky Arison's dream resulted in the QM2, but she always appears out of proportion - the dimensions are not 'natural' unfortunately.

Hopefully, one day, a person with a vision of what 'looks' right, and has an enduring appeal, may decide to build another 'true' queen of the seas.

Cheers

Skilly.
Back from the sea again.

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1423
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 2624
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody