Author Topic: QE2 Final day in Southampton and final departure (11/11/2008)  (Read 64492 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: QE2 Final day in Southampton and final departure (11/11/2008)
« Reply #105 on: Nov 14, 2018, 03:57 PM »
Looking forward to it, Peter !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #106 on: Nov 16, 2018, 02:31 PM »
Looking forward to it, Peter !   :)

Likewise  :)
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #107 on: Nov 16, 2018, 11:13 PM »
It may take a while, but I will get round to it one day.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #108 on: Nov 11, 2019, 09:42 AM »
On 11 November 2008 QE2 was to dock in Southampton for the last time, but not before creating early morning news when she hit a sandbank approaching Southampton waters.

Forum member Cunarder Man, onboard a Blue Funnel vessel, witnessed this and was able to give a first hand account to BBC

He has recounted his story for The QE2 Story:

I probably did not get much sleep in anticipation of heading out to welcome my favourite liner into Southampton for the last time. There was no need for an alarm as I was on an adrenaline rush with excitement. I set off from the Holiday Inn Hotel to Ocean Village, it was cold, dark and wet. Surprisingly, the Ocean Scene, a Blue Funnel vessel, wasn’t busy and around 5 am we cast off and headed into the darkness of the Solent. I recall the Shieldhall making steam and passengers boarding in anticipation of their excursion to greet QE2.

I fully expected QE2 to be early into port that morning and I was somewhat surprised that she wasn’t visible by the time we reached Fawley. However, soon after that we slowed and the Captain announced that he had received information from Harbour Control that we were to proceed no further until given further instruction. The Captain pointed out that QE2 had stopped and, with my binoculars, I was able to identify her iconic mast and funnel both illuminated and well defined against the early morning darkness.

Essentially we were bobbing around awaiting instruction. We learned that other vessels hoping to accompany QE2 home had been refused permission to leave Southampton, including Shieldhall.

Time passed in the eerie darkness and in a short while we had been informed that QE2 was on a sandbank and that attempts were being made to get her off and underway. We later learned that this was the infamous Brambles sandbank and the wind had played a significant part as she made her turns in the channel. Tugs were dispatched from the Fawley oil refinery and, as far as I was aware, they contributed to successfully refloating QE2. The whole exercise took about an hour and, by about 7am, QE2 was heading towards Calshot.

Although it was rather early I decided to contact a friend at BBC South to ensure he was aware of the situation. He was rather surprised to hear my voice so early and even more so that the ship had encountered a difficulty heading home. My mobile telephone battery was low and I did think that communication would be lost. However, after a few calls to check information my friend returned my call informing me that ‘I was their man out there’ and asked if I would accept a call from the news desk directly to be patched live into a TV report? I accepted and prayed that my battery would hold out! The call came and I described the current situation and what I had seen. The cold of the sea air and the wind chill made it difficult to articulate the words to describe the sItuation.

What are your memories of QE2's last day in Southampton?

If, like me you were not in Southampton, but glued to the TV eager to hear every news report, from the ship's arrival to when she slipped her moorings, to sail away from her home port for the last time.  Please post your memories. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #109 on: Nov 11, 2019, 10:59 AM »
My parents and I watched a lot of BBC South Today's excellent coverage that afternoon and evening having all sat down in our living room in the cottage we used to live in, in Oxfordshire that afternoon. I had our laptop set up for the latest updates on the occasion and I seem to recall I may have had Maritime AIS open to track QE2. By the end of BBC South Today's coverage there wasn't a dry eye in our living room. The event still makes me sad 11 years to the day later, and Captain Ian McNaught's words (paraphrased) "this ship has always called Southampton home but when she leaves tonight she will NEVER come back" are particularly poignant and memorable.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #110 on: Nov 11, 2019, 12:36 PM »
......... there wasn't a dry eye in our living room. The event still makes me sad 11 years to the day later, and Captain Ian McNaught's words (paraphrased) "this ship has always called Southampton home but when she leaves tonight she will NEVER come back" are particularly poignant and memorable.

I think you have captured how a lot of people felt on the day. 

Michael Gallagher had posted the full text of Captain McNaught's speech on this topic that he posted in 2012.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=4681.msg49210#msg49210
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #111 on: Nov 11, 2019, 12:44 PM »
The Poppy Drop to commemorate Remembrance Day must have been a poignant moment.  Cunarder Man captured the moment in this photo.  Would love to see more photos. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #112 on: Nov 11, 2019, 12:46 PM »
The Poppy Drop to commemorate Remembrance Day must have been a poignant moment.  Cunarder Man captured the moment in this photo.  Would love to see more photos.

I seem to recall it was a Harrier which performed the drop? Another british icon sadly no longer in service.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #113 on: Nov 11, 2019, 12:53 PM »
I seem to recall it was a Harrier which performed the drop? Another british icon sadly no longer in service.

The Getty Images video mentions it was Tiger Moths the dropped the poppies.
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/90th-anniversary-of-armistice-day-remembrance-day-news-footage/666336336

There are fantastic pictures in the Visit of Duke of Edinburgh topic along with the itinerary for the day.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=8244.msg93252#msg93252

QE2's last day in Southampton proved to be a moment in history, which our much loved QE2 played the leading role. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #114 on: Nov 11, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Some (hopefully unseen) images from a day etched into the hearts of all who were there...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #115 on: Nov 11, 2019, 03:39 PM »
Some (hopefully unseen) images from a day etched into the hearts of all who were there...

Amazing photos!!  Seems like yesterday.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #116 on: Nov 11, 2019, 05:47 PM »
Brilliant photos that capture the occasion.  I particularly like the two where she is lit up and ready to go, but the photo of QE2's bow is particularly nice. 
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #117 on: Nov 11, 2019, 09:25 PM »
And who will forget that day . Im forever indebted to Mr QE2 for my last few hours onboard my ship. It wasnt what i planned , no last walk around the boat deck , But l did partake of afternoon tea and saw a few of the crew from over the years,my old room steward/ess , my very first cabin from 1986 , a final drink in the yacht club with two friends, and then a tap on the shoulder to say Thats it, time to say Goodbye , and l was on the quayside in minutes , Completely shell shocked it was over, and lm glad it was like that, a bit like death it shouldnt be prolonged . Then the walk up the docks to join Red Jet 4 to see QE2 away. back onshore a few final drinks with some very dear friends, l missed my last train to London.

Having done the Farewell UK and both crossings , there was no way l could have done or afforded the Dubai trip. I knew l had to be there to see QE2 away and the chance to visit onboard for a few hours is something l will treasure very much, hellish though the ending was . 

My sailing days with Cunard..Over .When you sailed on the best the only way you can go is down.       
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2019, 08:38 PM by cunardqueen »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online cunardqueen

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2021, 08:36 AM by Rob Lightbody »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #119 on: Nov 11, 2019, 10:51 PM »

The Harrier performed a salute by means of a nose-dip as part of the ceremony.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Departure times - Maiden Voyage onwards

Started by richc1977Board Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 9
Views: 4453
Last post Oct 04, 2011, 07:44 PM
by cunardqueen
Returning to Southampton early

Started by Myles ChantlerBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 1
Views: 1141
Last post Mar 16, 2020, 09:34 PM
by Thomas Hypher
QE2 talk by Bruce Peter in Southampton Sat 16th Nov

Started by BarumfoxBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 6
Views: 999
Last post Nov 18, 2019, 11:39 PM
by Barumfox
1964 Colour film of Southampton and Queen Elizabeth

Started by JemBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 1
Views: 2790
Last post Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 PM
by Peter Mugridge
QV - Which Southampton Terminal 24/8/14

Started by CAPBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 5
Views: 2960
Last post Aug 28, 2014, 03:48 PM
by June Ingram