Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Songs that make us think & dream of QE2  (Read 36526 times)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

Re: Songs that make us think & dream of QE2
« Reply #80 on: Oct 20, 2010, 09:28 PM »
Comment if you agree with me that this song sums up QE2?

Offline maggie maggot

« Reply #81 on: Nov 22, 2010, 11:55 PM »
Around every corner the songs still hits the spot, Viva la Veda (I used to Rule the world) turns up in the strangest of places by the strangest of people - buskers in Sydney.

Also time to say 'good bye ' I heard it on a TV show the other day! it still has the same effect 2 years on.  The only time it went wrong was as we left the Tyne something went wrong with the sound sytem on the ship. Needless to say the backing track got changed on my dvd.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2010, 12:02 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #82 on: Dec 04, 2010, 12:03 AM »
"Moonriver" always makes me think of QE2, as used in this video

http://www.vimeo.com/7682958
the lyrics
"...I'm crossing you in style some day.  Oh dreammaker, you heartbreaker, where ever you're going, I'm going your way.  Two drifters, off to see the world, there's such a lot of world to see... we're after the same rainbow's end..."  
evoke perfectly the dreamy, blissful, nirvana of life on, and with, QE2.

"Classical Gas"
"Love is Blue"
and
"Aquarius"
as used in the awesome "Groove to the New QE2" video
always make me think of QE2, as they represent perfectly the world into which the QE2 was born.

all three of these tunes are on my Ipod, as is "Red Red Wine" by UB40.
"Red Red Wine" because on a perfect day a few years ago, returning to QE2 after an awesome day of snorkeling and swimming, on the catamaran on which we sailing the operators of the shore excursion were playing this album.  Being a bit high with rum punch, and a bit high because life was perfect, it just struck me as that song was playing that things could not possibly get any better.  Every time since then that I've heard Red Red Wine, I am brought back to that perfect day, made possible by QE2.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2010, 12:10 AM by Stowaway2k »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #83 on: Feb 22, 2013, 11:59 AM »
A day off work today, and I decided to revisit my Videos from that lovely dreamy summer holiday on the Med on QE2 in 2008.

While walking along boat deck with Ali, in the sunshine, to hear the midday whistle test, my random music player started playing James - We're Going to Miss you.

It has just become one of my QE2 Songs.

It even has one of Ali's phrases that she used in reference to QE2, "there are no words...."

Links elsewhere to some new video uploads later!

(If you've never heard it before give it 2 minutes before deciding whether you like it or not!).

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2013, 12:05 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #84 on: Feb 22, 2013, 01:10 PM »
A day off work today, and I decided to revisit my Videos from that lovely dreamy summer holiday on the Med on QE2 in 2008.

While walking along boat deck with Ali, in the sunshine, to hear the midday whistle test, my random music player started playing James - We're Going to Miss you.

It has just become one of my QE2 Songs.

It even has one of Ali's phrases that she used in reference to QE2, "there are no words...."

Links elsewhere to some new video uploads later!

(If you've never heard it before give it 2 minutes before deciding whether you like it or not!).

Same band, different song for me Rob. James with their foot stomping anthem Sit Down.

"If I hadn't seen such riches,

I could live with being poor,"

Kinda sums it up for me
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #85 on: Jul 19, 2013, 06:12 PM »
For me it has to be a song called 'Stay with me till dawn' by Judy Tzuke. It's from her first album which, interestingly enough is called 'Welcome to the Cruise'.

It always takes me back to a North Cape cruise in 1981, part of the midnight buffet was a barbecue on one of the after decks, it was broad daylight and a small group of us were sitting eating burgers outside at one o'clock in the morning. After that it was back to my cabin for a nightcap and listen to Judy Tzuke.

Happy days!
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2013, 08:13 PM by Alan Snelson »
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #86 on: Jul 20, 2013, 11:13 AM »

Thanks Alan, haven't listened to that for years. Happy days indeed.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #87 on: Jul 20, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Thanks for the video Risky. Like you I haven't listened to that in years either.

A few days ago, when the song came back to mind I thought I would dig out the CD and have a listen. After half an hour of searching it dawned on me that I had never owned the CD as they weren't invented back then! I remembered that I had a copy on cassette. I had to stop myself from going off to look for it though as I realised that even if I did find it I have nothing to play a cassette on any more.

Oh well, such is progress :-\
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #88 on: Apr 22, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Quite a few songs remind me of our QE2. Such as Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody: "Goodbye, I've got to go"

Or another song of Queen's reminds me of her in Dubai: "Oh how I want to break free"

And then of course Coldplay's Viva la Vida: "I used to rule the world"... "But that was when I ruled the world"
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2014, 12:24 PM by Adam Hodson »
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #89 on: Apr 02, 2015, 12:34 AM »
The song that makes me think and dream of the QE2 is "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay. It is also one of my favorite songs!  ;)
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #90 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:30 PM »
Ok its not a song, but any time l hear Whickers World theme tune l can and only think of QE2....

[/url]
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #91 on: Apr 02, 2015, 11:06 PM »
Not a song again but anything sung by Anthony Newley as he gave a great performance on my only voyage.

Online Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #92 on: Apr 03, 2015, 05:39 AM »
That is a nice tune Myles! It got stuck in my head for a while!
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #93 on: Apr 07, 2015, 01:21 PM »
Dougie MacLean's "Caledonia" - used a royalty free version for a video I compiled of her after she left her river for the last time. Most of the footage was actually taken during her 2007 visit but the sentiment is the same.

Must try to get it onto YouTube or similar then link to here - see if you guys on here agree!!

Offline Tony

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #95 on: Sep 20, 2015, 09:22 PM »
Thank-you so much for reminding us about this really funny video, which was so apt on a day when we remember when she was launched and see how she looks today, in the recent video clips from Dubai.  Your post was just what we need to remember the good times. 

I hope you do not mind that I have moved your post to this topic where the video was previously mentioned. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline pete cain

« Reply #96 on: Mar 15, 2016, 09:27 PM »
 Just revisited this topic , found playing this in the background whilst watching -slowly- the latest images from Louis & his friends quite moving.    http://. Oh Castaway , let's never forget , that's what Carnivor did to her

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #97 on: Mar 15, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Frank Sinatra and New York,New York it was always a belter of a tune as you sailed down (or up) the Hudson

Not a valid youtube URL  [/youtube]
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #98 on: Mar 16, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Just revisited this topic , found playing this in the background whilst watching -slowly- the latest images from Louis & his friends quite moving.    http://. Oh Castaway , let's never forget , that's what Carnivor did to her

Pete - Thanks for posting this soundtrack which is indeed very moving.  And I am totally in agreement with your sentiments !  June 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #99 on: Aug 11, 2016, 10:23 PM »
And then, there was "Catch a falling star"... We caught this piece several times last September, out of the well hidden loudspeakers in the Midships Lobby (quite possibly for the benefit of the cleaning crew). Somehow, it matched our mood -- we knew that our moments on QE2 were few and precious, each of them like a falling star!

That song came back to me today, as this is the season of the Perseid Showers. Maybe we could all watch out for the falling stars, today and tomorrow, and still for a few days after that, making a wish for QE2 -- she needs it!

Songs of Praise on the QE2

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The 1990s

Replies: 26
Views: 6025