Author Topic: Songs that make us think & dream of QE2  (Read 46633 times)

Offline Chris

🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Twynkle

Re: Songs that make us think & dream of QE2
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:15 AM »
And those small brass bands making a big sound on the quays in Norway - as we sailed away...

(Photo of Band - 12 strong, in Flamm may appear here....eventually!)
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2009, 10:56 PM by twynkle »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2009, 01:53 PM »
I quite like the rousing New York, New York when we leave Manhatten, and we are sailing

On arrival in 1987 New York had planned a big welcome for us on QE2s  Maiden Voyage we had some American cheer leaders, somehow it didnt have the same effect as the Brass bands,  l was less than impressed with the skimpy skirts and bustle balls ::), or whatever it is you call them.
The brass bands when they used to play us as we departed Southampton were always very nice, one cruise they played Viva España as we set of on  Med cruise in 1988 straight into a force 9 gale and nearly ended up grounding off the Isle if Wight, by all accounts it was a close thing, and it made the QE2  onboard times !! Captain was the late Alan Bennell, probably one of QE2s best captains ever, who can forget the long queues at his receptions.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline hollihedge

« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2009, 11:36 AM »
After watching the Academy Awards I would also like to add "I'll be seeing you". 
Gill

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:31 PM »
I don't really associate music with memories - I take a rather academic view of music - but one thing that does make me think of our QE2 is Holst's Jupiter - which was played on so many 2008 sailaways.

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline Andy F

« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:54 PM »
...one thing that does make me think of our QE2 is Holst's Jupiter - which was played on so many 2008 sailaways.

Whilst I still stand by Viva La Vida, a good choice it must be said Matthew (aka 'I vow to thee my Country'), for it is an excellent piece.  Btw, has anyone mentioned 'Aulg Lang Syne', which also seems appropriate (and was used during the final evening's reception prior to disembarkation in Dubai)?
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2009, 10:58 PM »
Whilst I still stand by Viva La Vida, a good choice it must be said Matthew (aka 'I vow to thee my Country'), for it is an excellent piece.

I'm afraid that I really can't recall Viva La Vida - and have barely heard of Coldplay. Hence the tune is, for me, instantly forgettable. Pop music isn't my thing......

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline Andy F

« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2009, 11:02 PM »
I'm afraid that I ... have barely heard of Coldplay

Judging by what I have heard (with this one exception), that's probably not such a bad thing lol!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

KEV

« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2009, 11:20 PM »
My daughter played the piano (with permission!) in the Yacht club one afternoon to a small group of people. She played and sang Evanescence 'My Immortal' It was a surreal and moving moment.Check the lyrics on google

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2009, 11:56 PM »
Hope nobody will feel in any way hurt if I add "God Save the Queen" to the list. Here's a little video of our Boston sailaway :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3342065879/

Not sure when the crew started distributing Union Jacks to the passengers and playing "God Save the Queen" at QE2 sailaways (for me, the first time was in July 2008)...

... I very quickly worked out my own interpretation and happily joined in  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2009, 05:34 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2009, 04:06 AM »
Having just had the unexpected pleasure of 'QE2 The Last Voyage' coming on TV an hour ago, and therefore brightening my shift still further following the emptying of the Crystal Bar, I feel I must add to this list L'Enfant by Vangelis. A piece of music I have always loved, but seeing it used on this program with such stunning images of the ship for the second time has now welded the two together in my mind. Perfection. 8)
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2009, 08:36 AM »
Oh gosh this music sums up the QE2. Turn it up as loud as possible!

It is the Organ Symphony #3 by Camille Saint-Saëns.

Cheers!
Edmund

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:37 AM »

Thank you Edmund!

Not songs exactly but what about the Harp at tea-time in the Queen's Lounge?
Not quite my cup of tea, but just right in the setting....

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2009, 12:14 PM »
Un Sospiro by Liszt is on my Ipod QE2 playlist.  I can just imagine her slicing through the seas everytime when I hear this.

KenM
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2010, 07:20 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #29 on: Mar 12, 2009, 01:15 PM »

Couldn't resist this, think it probably belongs under Clydebank and Glamour and Gracie! - but those aren't here!

Songs of Praise on the QE2

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The 1990s

Replies: 27
Views: 8907
Last post Jul 14, 2022, 10:08 AM
by Lynda Bradford