Author Topic: Songs that make us think & dream of QE2  (Read 47884 times)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

Offline maggie maggot

Re: Songs that make us think & dream of QE2
« Reply #76 on: Jul 28, 2010, 01:36 AM »
You don't have to be mad to post on here, but it helps!
How about this for a bizarre song/ tune with aQE2 conection
When QE2 left the UK for the last time Cold Play’s Viva la Vida was the backing music and for many QE2 fans it brings a tear to the eye.
How strange that the only time I saw these buskers in Sydney they were playing that tune.
It mad but fun.
https://www.youtube.com/user/arizonagcs#p/a/u/0/rAqnfvMbaSU

Offline maggie maggot

« Reply #77 on: Jul 28, 2010, 09:22 PM »
Well, it is the 'silly season'!

When QE2 left the UK the BBC used Cold Play Viva la Vida as the background music as she sailed away.
Anyone who heard it cannot be moved by it being played.
When I was wandering back to my hotel in Sydney a crazy group were busking and of all the tunes they were playing was Viva la Vida.
The QE2 is still on Google maps as you know in Sydney so it was ironic to hear the tune being played there.

Prepare for tears I've found the original BBC clip

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2010, 10:04 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Jem

« Reply #78 on: Jul 29, 2010, 03:14 AM »
I always have this BBC tribute to her on the top of the most watched clip of her, it's just magical and heart rendering.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #79 on: Oct 04, 2010, 04:17 PM »
Bangles Eternal Flame

The lyrics really do remind me of QE2 in how she has a heart and soul.

And also Enya

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2010, 04:20 PM by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 »

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #80 on: Oct 20, 2010, 09:28 PM »
Comment if you agree with me that this song sums up QE2?

Offline maggie maggot

« Reply #81 on: Nov 22, 2010, 11:55 PM »
Around every corner the songs still hits the spot, Viva la Veda (I used to Rule the world) turns up in the strangest of places by the strangest of people - buskers in Sydney.

Also time to say 'good bye ' I heard it on a TV show the other day! it still has the same effect 2 years on.  The only time it went wrong was as we left the Tyne something went wrong with the sound sytem on the ship. Needless to say the backing track got changed on my dvd.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2010, 12:02 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #82 on: Dec 04, 2010, 12:03 AM »
"Moonriver" always makes me think of QE2, as used in this video

http://www.vimeo.com/7682958
the lyrics
"...I'm crossing you in style some day.  Oh dreammaker, you heartbreaker, where ever you're going, I'm going your way.  Two drifters, off to see the world, there's such a lot of world to see... we're after the same rainbow's end..."  
evoke perfectly the dreamy, blissful, nirvana of life on, and with, QE2.

"Classical Gas"
"Love is Blue"
and
"Aquarius"
as used in the awesome "Groove to the New QE2" video
always make me think of QE2, as they represent perfectly the world into which the QE2 was born.

all three of these tunes are on my Ipod, as is "Red Red Wine" by UB40.
"Red Red Wine" because on a perfect day a few years ago, returning to QE2 after an awesome day of snorkeling and swimming, on the catamaran on which we sailing the operators of the shore excursion were playing this album.  Being a bit high with rum punch, and a bit high because life was perfect, it just struck me as that song was playing that things could not possibly get any better.  Every time since then that I've heard Red Red Wine, I am brought back to that perfect day, made possible by QE2.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2010, 12:10 AM by Stowaway2k »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #83 on: Feb 22, 2013, 11:59 AM »
A day off work today, and I decided to revisit my Videos from that lovely dreamy summer holiday on the Med on QE2 in 2008.

While walking along boat deck with Ali, in the sunshine, to hear the midday whistle test, my random music player started playing James - We're Going to Miss you.

It has just become one of my QE2 Songs.

It even has one of Ali's phrases that she used in reference to QE2, "there are no words...."

Links elsewhere to some new video uploads later!

(If you've never heard it before give it 2 minutes before deciding whether you like it or not!).

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2013, 12:05 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #84 on: Feb 22, 2013, 01:10 PM »
A day off work today, and I decided to revisit my Videos from that lovely dreamy summer holiday on the Med on QE2 in 2008.

While walking along boat deck with Ali, in the sunshine, to hear the midday whistle test, my random music player started playing James - We're Going to Miss you.

It has just become one of my QE2 Songs.

It even has one of Ali's phrases that she used in reference to QE2, "there are no words...."

Links elsewhere to some new video uploads later!

(If you've never heard it before give it 2 minutes before deciding whether you like it or not!).

Same band, different song for me Rob. James with their foot stomping anthem Sit Down.

"If I hadn't seen such riches,

I could live with being poor,"

Kinda sums it up for me
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #85 on: Jul 19, 2013, 06:12 PM »
For me it has to be a song called 'Stay with me till dawn' by Judy Tzuke. It's from her first album which, interestingly enough is called 'Welcome to the Cruise'.

It always takes me back to a North Cape cruise in 1981, part of the midnight buffet was a barbecue on one of the after decks, it was broad daylight and a small group of us were sitting eating burgers outside at one o'clock in the morning. After that it was back to my cabin for a nightcap and listen to Judy Tzuke.

Happy days!
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2013, 08:13 PM by Alan Snelson »
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #86 on: Jul 20, 2013, 11:13 AM »

Thanks Alan, haven't listened to that for years. Happy days indeed.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #87 on: Jul 20, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Thanks for the video Risky. Like you I haven't listened to that in years either.

A few days ago, when the song came back to mind I thought I would dig out the CD and have a listen. After half an hour of searching it dawned on me that I had never owned the CD as they weren't invented back then! I remembered that I had a copy on cassette. I had to stop myself from going off to look for it though as I realised that even if I did find it I have nothing to play a cassette on any more.

Oh well, such is progress :-\
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #88 on: Apr 22, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Quite a few songs remind me of our QE2. Such as Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody: "Goodbye, I've got to go"

Or another song of Queen's reminds me of her in Dubai: "Oh how I want to break free"

And then of course Coldplay's Viva la Vida: "I used to rule the world"... "But that was when I ruled the world"
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2014, 12:24 PM by Adam Hodson »
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #89 on: Apr 02, 2015, 12:34 AM »
The song that makes me think and dream of the QE2 is "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay. It is also one of my favorite songs!  ;)
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Songs of Praise on the QE2

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The 1990s

Replies: 27
Views: 9296
Last post Jul 14, 2022, 10:08 AM
by Lynda Bradford