Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Our first cruise on our home from home (21st to the 30th October 2004)  (Read 644 times)

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Hi everyone,

Here I'll be posting memories and photos (taken by me and my Dad) from our first QE2 cruise (she'd handed over the flagship and transatlantic roles to QM2 earlier that year to bask in the Sun more ;) and had a refit earlier that year in Germany to make her more suitable for cruising - one of the changes being the addition of an air con unit on top of the third set of penthouses). Our first QE2 trip ever was a Westbound Transatlantic the previous August and has it's own topic.

Thomas
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 01:43 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
QE2 was 6 or 7 hours late into Southampton due to very rough weather in the English Channel, our subsequent passage down through the Bay of Biscay was very rough too. A Force 9 gusting Force 10. My Dad who is never seasick was one of only two people on deck. He stood at the end of the Boat Deck and was getting hit by spray from the waves breaking on or over her bow! Here are his photos from the stormy weather. It is worth noting we were touching 30 knots on this rough passage and arrived in Vigo, Spain, our first port of call on time.

I was busy being badly seasick in our cabin toilet and remember her pitching a lot when lying in my top bunk bed plus the handmade cabin creaking a lot! I had a useless $99 dollar injection for sickness/seasickness too. The seasickness got so bad I was just gagging over the toilet in the end as there was nothing to come up as I couldn't keep it down  :P

Dad's QE2 Mediterranean cruise digital photos, October 2004 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

Dad's QE2 Mediterranean cruise digital photos, October 2004 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Excellent photos.  :)

Those injections are a rip off; travel sickness is nearly always caused by the eyes and the stomach giving the brain conflicting signals about the movement being experienced - the best way of avoiding travel sickness is to keep looking out of the windows so that the brain is getting the same information from both.  If it's at night then at least keeping the eyes closed or being in a totally dark room will help considerably.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
Excellent photos.  :)

Those injections are a rip off; travel sickness is nearly always caused by the eyes and the stomach giving the brain conflicting signals about the movement being experienced - the best way of avoiding travel sickness is to keep looking out of the windows so that the brain is getting the same information from both.  If it's at night then at least keeping the eyes closed or being in a totally dark room will help considerably.

That's provided one can get to a window as the portholes were too small and awkward to see out a lot of the time. However as you say I do recall feeling better when I closed my eyes. I was too seasick to leave the cabin, believe me we tried lol. The doctor left the smashed/broken part of the glass vial over our cabin floor and my Mum and Dad had to clear it up without the luxury of a vacuum. I was bare foot at the time and they may have been. My negative QE2 experience indeed.

The time I was almost seasick in one of the Schat-Harding catamaran tenders and another time when my Dad had to dispose of the contents of a wine glass after my eating too much rich food (happened on QM2 as well at least once in mid restaurant in all cases) and other "interesting" stories. My Dad is long suffering in that regard.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 01:40 AM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
Next instalment ;) . QE2 after arriving in Vigo after the rough passage. The date was Saturday 23rd October 2004. Some photos will be mine (the lesser quality ones) and most my Dad's (the amazing ones):

The small figure at her stern, in the above photo, is 8 year old me having (mostly) recovered from the passage.

The iconic crown for a Queen in early morning that day (above photo)

I spy a familiar figure, I vaguely remember speaking to our fellow passengers here (above photo).

And some sad photos for me in many ways (below).

Some of my lesser photos from that day (below), the first of which was my forum icon here until a couple of months ago - from registering in August 2010:

QE2 Mediterranean, October 2004 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

Thomas

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Nice photos