Author Topic: Gangway Usage  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Gangway Usage
« on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:26 PM »
Since most of us have being on the QE2 on different moments of her time we did get to use the gangways to get onboard and go ashore.Which ones do you recall using?

To start as crew the Sailors Square on Five Deck Forward was used mostly in New York, Southampton and Fort Lauderdale.

Then i used the gangways on Two Deck Forward and Aft plus the Midships Lobby (used for Crew too during the overnights in Hong Kong).Also the Four Deck Forward and Aft and Five Deck Forward and Aft Gangways.

The most unusually gangway i used was in the refit when rejoining the ship a elevator was used to bring us onboard when exiting the elevator a platform lead us onto One Deck Aft deck.

Louis

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Gangway Usage
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 06:49 PM »
The gangway I appreciated most was the one that led into the Midships Lobby in Southampton at embarkation. That one always filled me with extraordinary excitement, and of course it was an extra advantage that we did not have to drag our baggage with us.

The same gangway was also the farewell gangway when disembarking again in Southampton -- the one where I turned around and touched her hull for another time before crossing that bridge into the life we had left behind.

In the ports of call, various gangways were used, depending on the tide and the port. And always, we knew that we would be coming back and joining the ship again, probably by means of the same gangway.

Queen Elizabeth 2 gangway

And then of course, there were at the anchor ports, where we descended little steps in order to join the tenders. Even though the anchor ports where exhausting for crew members, I used to love them, stepping straight out onto a smaller boat bobbing on the sea, and then dashing away from QE2, enjoying the views of our beautiful temporary home.

An Anchor Port

And then, there was the Welcome Home gangway during the world cruise, so special.

Welcome Home!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 07:14 PM »
l had the great privilege to board via the crew gangway on Nov 11th , Not quite the same entrance as was into the midships Lobby , but for me a very unique and down to earth way to board QE2 on her last day.  You certainly saw a lot of the action on the dock with trucks whizzing about and various loading and unloading going on.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 08:27 PM »
l had the great privilege to board via the crew gangway on Nov 11th , Not quite the same entrance as was into the midships Lobby , but for me a very unique and down to earth way to board QE2 on her last day.  You certainly saw a lot of the action on the dock with trucks whizzing about and various loading and unloading going on.

Wonderful final memories, Myles, that was a very special privilege. Understandably, you are looking very solemn. Thank you so much for the photos!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 10:01 AM »
Thanks for starting this really interesting topic, Louis.  I hope more members add their pictures and memories of QE2's gangways. 

Isabelle your photo of the steps from the tender is quite an unusual one that not many people would have thought about taking. 

I would love to hear more from Myles about having the special privilege of using the crew gangway.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com