Author Topic: Flag on RMS Cambria  (Read 1966 times)

Renee

Flag on RMS Cambria
« on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Hello everyone. I am the writer who corresponded with some of you a while back. I am writing a novel in which my character sails on the RMS Cambria in February 1847. PT Barnum and Tom Thumb were on that ship.

Now I am trying to discover if the Cunard gold and red lion flag would have been on that ship. And also I assume the ship would have had the British flag of that time flying. Would there have been any other flags?

I did puchase the Picture History of the Cunard Line, 1840 - 1990, by Frank Bravnard, which has been helpful.

Hope someone out there might know the answer to my question!  Thanks!

Offline CAP

Re: Flag on RMS Cambria
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:27 PM »
A belated response to the question.

As a direct answer, Cambria would not have flown the rampant lion house flag.  This particular flag only came into existence in 1878 with the creation of the Cunard Steamship Company.  Up to this date the company, the British & North American Royal Mail Steam Packet, often referred to as Cunard's Line or Mr Cunard's Ships, flew two house flags/pennants.  One has a blue background with the cross of St.Andrew the other and smaller one is plain red.

The link below takes you to a picture of Britannia (one that is often used today by Cunard) which clearly shows the two flags

http://austenauthors.net/romance-on-the-high-seas-or-not/ps-britannia-painting
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:02 PM by CAP »

Need Help Identifying Pin "Jolly Rovers" w/ Cunard Flag

Started by baskervilleBoard Relating to both QE & QM

Replies: 3
Views: 4031
Last post Jul 09, 2014, 02:25 PM
by Adam Ilgin
Flag protocol

Started by ConorBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 6
Views: 3364