Author Topic: Reliability in the last few service years  (Read 1921 times)

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
Reliability in the last few service years
« on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:09 PM »
I've heard of a few total power losses in the  last few years of her service life but don't know the frequency or even type of issues that affected her, can anyone on the forum shed any light on these instances, either as passengers who experienced them or crew who knew what caused them.  Was it simply age of parts or did some skipping of routine maintenance contribute - I actually don't believe that Cunard skipped on maintenance with the exception of replacing the last scheduled dry dock with a 'wet' one but will bow to others more intamate knowledge.

The only break down I know of was the failure of a steering telemotor on the 3rd to last cruise (med round trip) she had to stay an extra night in Dubrovnik as an engineer with the part was flown out from Leeds and she then bypassed the Gibraltar stop.

However! This did lead to an unscheled head to head visit from her younger sister QM2, Ive a fantastic video of this from my parents- one day I'll get it up on you tube!!

Jdl 

Offline Andy F

Re: Reliability in the last few service years
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2010, 02:31 AM »
The only break down I know of was the failure of a steering telemotor on the 3rd to last cruise (med round trip) she had to stay an extra night in Dubrovnik as an engineer with the part was flown out from Leeds and she then bypassed the Gibraltar stop.

However! This did lead to an unscheled head to head visit from her younger sister QM2, Ive a fantastic video of this from my parents- one day I'll get it up on you tube!!
Almost right there JDL as she did indeed spend an extra 24hrs lying at anchor off Dubrovnik before finally departing around 6pm the following day for Trieste but that was the year previous in September 2007.  The problem was a failed steering pump if I correctly recall, necessitating as you say, an Engineer having to fly out from the UK with the replacement part.  Having spent the day ashore, we were waiting to sail that first evening, only nothing happened.  Eventually Captain Perkins announced there was a problem and that we would not in fact, be departing as planned. Unfortunately, being at anchor out in the bay meant we were unable to go ashore again and spent the following day aboard but few complained and we were compensated anyway.

It was clear something would have to give and the biggest concern was the possibility of missing out on the Trieste call.  As it happened this was not the case and it went ahead, albeit a day late as did Valletta but Gibraltar was cancelled and on departing Malta, we headed directly to Southampton.   As you say, the change in schedule meant an unexpected and welcome meeting with QM2 somewhere off the Spanish/Portuguese coast I seem to recall, who was en route to the Med.  For those of us out on deck at the time, after what seemed an age, QM2 appeared out of the mist and as she drew near, a lengthy exchange of whistles ensued. 

The incident made the news back in the UK, not so much the fact she had broken down but rather that she was due to depart on her 40th birthday round Britain voyage immediately afterwards.  As it happened, she made it without problem and the rest is as they say history!

Returning to your question, there’s certainly no suggestion maintenance was cut back, in fact right up to the end on that final trip to Dubai, she was still being looked after.  The steering pump failure was, I believe, just one of those unfortunate events that could have happened at anytime. 

Strangely though, while aboard the following year, I was talking to the Chief Engineer one evening when I recounted the tale of the Dubrovnik incident, to which he responded that we have no such worries this time and everything was fine.  Such confidence was short lived however, when the following morning while approaching Cagliari, we ground to a halt outside the breakwater due to an unspecified technical problem (or at least I can’t remember any particular reason being given). Thankfully, whatever it was didn’t take long to fix and we were soon underway again but I did briefly have that deja-vu feeling. Ah happy memories!

Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:50 PM »
Andy,

Thanks and well spotted that it was the year previous!  I didn't get the impression that Cunard skimped on her maintenance, thanks for clarifying, and whilst they did do some things I didn't agree with towards the end of her life the fact that they maintained her the way she was supposed to be deserves credit.

Now, anyone any ideas on the total power losses then!

john

Offline pete cain

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2010, 09:00 PM »
All I can say is, when we were lucky enough to've joined QE2 at the last leg of her 2007 world cruise , in Southampton ;we  left ft Lauderdale, & were heading south for the Caribbean , This sounds so pretentious,     we were having our pre dinner cocktails, with new found friends, and with the coast of America on our stbd side the order for warp speed was (obviously )given. we were witness to a loud bang deep in the innards of QE2, we continued at a crawl, untill after dinner . A quick walk around the deck at 10.00pm & we were at (close ) to full sped me thinks. Not the first time I heard that bang down below.   . (however to put this into context) I was on Sea Princess 4 yrs ago  in Chittttevveettia  we suffered a complete power loss  on leaving Chit...... ia no lifts , em ltg etc, had tugs to tow us out to the 12 ml limit & waited for some guy to fly down from somewhere in Nth Italy to sort things out, missed  ports.... what ever./