Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE2 - Live Music!  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Twynkle

QE2 - Live Music!
« on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:50 PM »
I was the first QE2 piano player to work on that Perspex Piano. I re-joined the ship in Bremerhaven to play in the new Yacht Club in May 1987 and stayed until the summer of 1988. Quite a long gig.
That piano was actually quite nice to play on!

Arline Daniels

Hello Arline,
It's really good to see you here!
It was a long gig - a record even, at that time?!
Was it made possible for you to play on the other grand pianos as well??

I've often wondered what the effects of being at sea had on pianos aboard QE2
Do you know how often they needed to be tuned?
Lots of good wishes - and thanks ,too!
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: QE2 - Live Music!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:55 PM »
Do you know how often they needed to be tuned?

They are tuned on every turnarounds in New York and Southampton.

Louis

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2010, 02:31 PM »

Check out the resident band from the Theater Bar with

Rupert-keyboard
Louis-vocals
Johan-drums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ex-crewmember/3624745309/in/set-72157618625802312/

Louis

Offline Songbird

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2010, 03:40 PM »
On the World Cruises, they were always tuned in Hong Kong. I also remember a tuning in Sydney in 1988.

In Southampton, after a transatlantic, if I was on board when he arrived, I would meet with him to express my concerns about a particular virbrating string or some such problem, usually with the Grand Lounge piano.

Arline

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:29 PM »
I was never fortunate enough to hear or see the infamous Perspex piano but I did simply adore listening to the gentle tones of the piano in the bar near the Mauritania ( the name escapes me as it's late and all my qe2 deck plans are in the loft) and as for the beautiful ex queen Mary art deco piano in the chart room - what memories...

jdl

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:27 AM »
Of all the live music on board, my favourite was the harp. Perhaps because it greeted us in the Midships Lobby on embarkation... it was a truly stunning moment and fabulous memory the very first time I stepped on board -- where else are arrivals greeted by a live harpist?

I particularly remember two wonderful harpists. The first was the Italian, Chiara Capobianco, in 2005 -- as I enjoyed her music so much, I bought her CD in the Travellers' Cove... and realised this year, when I moved lodgings, that I could no longer find it, much to my sorrow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2237806448/

The other was Siân Williams, in 2008, a wonderful gentle and friendly Welsh woman, who not only played beautifully, but was always ready to explain her instrument and her music, as well as accepting to play requests whenever asked. A lovely harpist -- with an exhausting timetable (embarkation, the Queen's Room for afternoon tea most days, and the Chart Room most evenings). Only once did I see her sitting on deck, being just herself. She stayed on QE2 all the way to Dubai.

I never did see a CD of hers -- if I had, I would definitely have bought it!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3096623094/

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:51 AM »

Before the 1994 Refit and when the 2 big Restaurants had the dance floor you could see too the harpist playing and other musicians playing.Sadly that was one of the good things that got removed...... :(

Louis

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2011, 11:44 AM »
A wonderful interview with another harpist, Sarah Deere-Jones, on the "Excess baggage" programme of the BBC today :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010dd41

Being radio, this should be available to listen to the world over! Fast forward to minute 8 -- and there is another bit of her at the end of the programme.

Her book, "Maiden Voyage", is available here :

http://www.cornwallharpcentre.co.uk/maidenvoyage.htm

It would be great if she could join us here!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Really enjoyed listening to that, her book sounds like it would be a fascinating read!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.