Author Topic: Qe2 Tailor  (Read 1981 times)

Cruise_Princess

Qe2 Tailor
« on: Aug 28, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Only on QE2 would we find a TAILOR on board.....seemingly he was kept in regular work...from fixing upholstery to the costumes of the entertainers on board....my memory was particulary wonderful as always,....for the moment I cannot remember his name......

Getting my dress ready for the evening ahead around 5pm prior to a hairdressing appointment at Steiners I took my dress off the hangar to find to my absolute HORROR that somehow the zipper was broken....all tries  on my behalf failed to slot it back in place so a panic call was made to room service to see if the steward could help in any way....he came along to the cabin in a minute and advised it was a job for the onboard tailor...who seemed to appear miraculously within seconds...,he looked at the dress and said he would take it away and put in a new zip....and of course I knew it could never be ready for that night..I couldnt' have expected it to be....he said not to worry....I then left to go to the hairdressers and when I cam back my dress was back in my cabin complete with new zip sewn in..

I couldn;t believe it....where else could you find this kind of service...it was so wonderful.. so much appreciated .and totally unforgettable.....and ONLY on QE2.....it was the talking point of the cruise....and many more after that!

Does any one else have any similar experiences or tales of the onboard Tailor?

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Qe2 Tailor
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2010, 10:31 PM »
His name was Tommy.

We made use of his services to alter a dress Yola bought on board but because she is a bit short we had to get one that was slightly too long.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2010, 10:06 AM »
I never for one minute thought that there was a tailor on board the ship.  But after reading this post it makes sense that the performers would need a tailor to mend/alter costumes and do repairs. I would also be interested in hearing of other people's experience of using this service and the tailor's work onboard ship.  Maybe crew members have some stories/ information.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2010, 10:14 AM »
Now we find out about this service !!!!!
 Heck all those cruises l went on and towards the end of each cruise l started to cut down the eating as the dinner jacket was starting to shrink with the sea air.. :'(
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2010, 10:36 AM »
I don't think it was actually a passenger service as such....but they were there to help out in an emergency maybe such as my zip..!!  Most of their work I imagine was behind the scenes....and on the odd occasion fixing the zips on your luggage as well!!!

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2010, 04:13 PM »
Iindeed. Only on RMS Queen Elizabeth 2.......

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi