Author Topic: QM2 Whistles  (Read 9368 times)

Offline highlander0108

Re: QM2 Whistles
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2009, 12:47 AM »
when I was at calshot I got this photo of QM2 blasting her horn . Not sure if that is steam or compressed air.

John

Unfortunately, this is a bit of theatrics on Cunard's part.  The Tyfon horn is actually driven by compressed air with steam injected for effect.  When in use on Queen Mary, they were steam driven.  One horn was sent back to the manufacturer, rebuilt, and installed along with new horns on QM2.  Here is a link to a better explanation of the horns.  The starboard horn is the rebuilt Tyfon, which is the deeper, non IMO compliant horn.  Newer ship cannot have a horn with low of a frequency.  The port side horn is a new horn with an outer casing to match the Queen Mary horn.
http://www.hornwhistleboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2373&p=13075&hilit=qm2#p13075
Ken
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2009, 12:27 PM by Rob Lightbody »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

waveydavey

« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2009, 04:52 PM »
I hate to dissapoint but there is no steam on QM2 whistle.

All you get is compressed air but so much of it that the air condenses and looks like steam.

Breathe out on an icy day - its exactly the same.

Offline rough crossing

« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2009, 12:49 PM »
I hate to dissapoint but there is no steam on QM2 whistle.

All you get is compressed air but so much of it that the air condenses and looks like steam.

Breathe out on an icy day - its exactly the same.

I hate to throw a spanner in the works but on the recent very rough Atlantic crossing, in contrast to others, there was absolutely no sign of any vapour when the whistles were sounded. I feel this tends to confirm what I've been told by various sources that steam was injected for cosmetic effect. For what ever reason, this has now stopped working.  
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2009, 05:45 PM by rough crossing »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2009, 02:05 PM »
Jim, if you were on that historical rough crossing, I'm sure we all would like to hear and see more about your experience.  Welcome aboard as well!

Regarding the voice of QM2, she is sounding better than ever with the original Tyfon working at full volume now.  There is definitely more air being used to drive the horn now and I don't think anyone will miss the theatrics.  Here is a video illustrating trhe new sound.  Friends who were on the UK trip noticed the difference too and commented on the lack of "steam".

Offline junglejames

« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:22 PM »
to drive the horn now

You mean the whistle?

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2009, 04:56 PM »
Horn or whistle, take your pick.  I prefer horn.  Even Tyfon uses the nomenclature interchangably.  For me, Titanic had a whistle.  QE2 and others have horns.  Either way, I miss the sound of QE2's "voice."   :'(
Ken

Offline junglejames

« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Always a whistle when at sea.
Horn on land, whistle at sea.

rmeneses

« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:10 PM »
The deeper sound now puts her on par with the original Queen Mary, too bad the higher pitched Tyfon seems to overpower the deeper one making the overall effect anemic, except for when the higher pitched whistle stops before the deeper one.  When she came to Long Beach, the original Queen Mary "out blasted" QM2. (IMHO)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2024, 05:55 PM »
I've often wished she'd just use original QM's whistle (technically a horn hence my video title) for saluting events (as regulations don't matter when exchanging blasts with her fleetmates for example) instead of the discordant mess of sounding everything together as she usually does. She sounded so much better, in my opinion, on VE day 2022 and I know what I'd do if I ever have the choice!

First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2024, 12:18 PM »
The last time we were on her, I thought her whistles/horns sounded weird, but I didn't really think about it much, but you're right, they were sounding everything all at once.  That sounds so much nicer.  Thanks for capturing, posting and explaining.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

QE2 Whistles

Started by TwynkleBoard Features of the QE2

Replies: 161
Views: 100418
Last post Mar 03, 2019, 06:23 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski