Author Topic: QM2 Whistles  (Read 6709 times)

Offline Chris Frame

QM2 Whistles
« on: Feb 15, 2009, 09:16 AM »

Note the "hissing" noise due to the air / steam that power these whistles - one, an original form RMS Queen Mary.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QM2 Whistle
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2009, 11:47 AM »
Great wee video, and she sounds quite good there!  In fact I'm sure she sounds fine when she's not got QE2 whistling back for comparison!

I'm under the impression that that's "fake" steam that you can see here ... and that the whistle is just powered by air... correct me if i'm wrong though, and I'll try to find which book I read that in!  This also means that the whistles don't actually sound like they did on QM1... despite one being an original one and one an exact copy...
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2009, 11:50 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2009, 01:19 PM »
Found where I read it - page 153 of John Maxtone Graham's awesome book -

Operated by steam on board the first Mary, the whistles would be sounded by compressed air on the second, although a token steam cloud would appear for nostalgic effect.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2009, 01:33 PM »
I'll be sure to stand under it and check it out in April; no doubt in a geeky camera girl way  ;)

Although think Chris will get the opportunity sooner than I will......
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline Andy F

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2009, 01:47 PM »
Ali, if it's an impressive horn you're after (so to speak), then this is it!  Head up to 13 Deck, stand on the small raised platform housing the radome and wait...  You will not be disappointed I promise you!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Andrew W

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:54 AM »
Found where I read it - page 153 of John Maxtone Graham's awesome book -

Operated by steam on board the first Mary, the whistles would be sounded by compressed air on the second, although a token steam cloud would appear for nostalgic effect.

That's a bit like a "fake coal" effect gas fire. What's the point ? I've always preferred the real thing ---- yes real combustion of solid fuels --- how very proletarian ? In other words I would not have bothered with the puff of steam.

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:33 AM »
That wheeze of steam makes her sound asthmatic.

richc1977

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2009, 10:20 AM »
If you look on my Queen Mary website I have some video of her whistles being sounded.  They are driven by compressed air in Long Beach but sound much better than the QM2.

If you go here:

http://maritime.elettra.co.uk/queenmary/

Click the "Watch Video Clips" button on the left.

Or you can click the links on this page: http://maritime.elettra.co.uk/queenmary/multimedia1.html

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2009, 02:51 PM »
That's a bit like a "fake coal" effect gas fire. What's the point ? I've always preferred the real thing ---- yes real combustion of solid fuels --- how very proletarian ? In other words I would not have bothered with the puff of steam.

I agree entirely - this sort of thing really annoys me.  Good design never resorts to such retro-fakery.

I have another example from my "other life" - the original 1959 Mini was design at its purest - not styled whatsoever, its looks came from its function.  The latest new Mini from BMW, however, includes a fake bonnet scoop which is only there to signify which model it is - every time I see it just makes me cringe.  There are many aspects of QM2 that make me do the same... QV has its awful QE2 funnel and mast seemingly glued on top.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:13 AM »
P&O Arcadia also has a "wannabe" QE2 style mast from her days as QV in waiting.

Nothing can compare to the original and the best.

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:50 AM »
Does Acadia still have a Qe2 type funnel?? Well, I shall have to go down with my camera when she heaves herself into Auckland - this year we get Aurora and Oriana (who has a faked 'canberra' type funnel which looks nothing like the original). What I wanted to say that if anyone gets on the site before 10pm local Auckland time, you will see the unsalubrious surrounding QM der G has been put in. Jellicoe Wharf - container terminal, all because she is too obese to be put into Prince's Wharf cruise terminal. Even at Jellicoe, she has to dock/undock at high tides. I wonder if her pods stick into the mud at low tides, possibly not, since it is dredged for huge box boats. (and she does look like one, all amongst the containers) Even Rhapsody of the Seas managed to squeeze into Prince's, so did Vicky Brown. ::)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2009, 12:51 PM »

Found this and thought of you!

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2009, 03:18 PM »

Found this and thought of you!

That's not actually that bad......

Unless you remember QE2 in that setting....

Matthew
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2009, 11:29 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2009, 03:29 PM »
With Ali and Mrs JSB aboard!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/3431755232/

To be honest - the whistle sounded much better in 'real life'!
(Don't think I'll try this out on flickr ever again!)
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2009, 10:23 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

cos918

QM2 Whistles
« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2009, 11:47 PM »
when I was at calshot I got this photo of QM2 blasting her horn . Not sure if that is steam or compressed air.

John

Offline highlander0108

Re: QM2 Whistles
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2009, 12:47 AM »
when I was at calshot I got this photo of QM2 blasting her horn . Not sure if that is steam or compressed air.

John

Unfortunately, this is a bit of theatrics on Cunard's part.  The Tyfon horn is actually driven by compressed air with steam injected for effect.  When in use on Queen Mary, they were steam driven.  One horn was sent back to the manufacturer, rebuilt, and installed along with new horns on QM2.  Here is a link to a better explanation of the horns.  The starboard horn is the rebuilt Tyfon, which is the deeper, non IMO compliant horn.  Newer ship cannot have a horn with low of a frequency.  The port side horn is a new horn with an outer casing to match the Queen Mary horn.
http://www.hornwhistleboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2373&p=13075&hilit=qm2#p13075
Ken
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2009, 12:27 PM by Rob Lightbody »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

waveydavey

« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2009, 04:52 PM »
I hate to dissapoint but there is no steam on QM2 whistle.

All you get is compressed air but so much of it that the air condenses and looks like steam.

Breathe out on an icy day - its exactly the same.

Offline rough crossing

« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2009, 12:49 PM »
I hate to dissapoint but there is no steam on QM2 whistle.

All you get is compressed air but so much of it that the air condenses and looks like steam.

Breathe out on an icy day - its exactly the same.

I hate to throw a spanner in the works but on the recent very rough Atlantic crossing, in contrast to others, there was absolutely no sign of any vapour when the whistles were sounded. I feel this tends to confirm what I've been told by various sources that steam was injected for cosmetic effect. For what ever reason, this has now stopped working.  
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2009, 05:45 PM by rough crossing »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2009, 02:05 PM »
Jim, if you were on that historical rough crossing, I'm sure we all would like to hear and see more about your experience.  Welcome aboard as well!

Regarding the voice of QM2, she is sounding better than ever with the original Tyfon working at full volume now.  There is definitely more air being used to drive the horn now and I don't think anyone will miss the theatrics.  Here is a video illustrating trhe new sound.  Friends who were on the UK trip noticed the difference too and commented on the lack of "steam".

"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline junglejames

« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:22 PM »
to drive the horn now

You mean the whistle?

QE2 Whistles

Started by TwynkleBoard Features of the QE2

Replies: 161
Views: 83573
Last post Mar 03, 2019, 06:23 AM