Author Topic: Caribbean gridlock  (Read 1899 times)

Offline pete cain

Caribbean gridlock
« on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:01 AM »
From todays Sunday Times travel section...'Perhaps it's best to avoid Tuesdays on the Caribbean island of St Thomas. This is the day when the 14,000 passengers disgorged by the 5 cruise ships already docking there are now joined by ocean- going leviathan  Oasis of the Seas, adding up to 6,300 passengers and 2,000 crew to the mob onshore. St Thomas isn't complaining- '' anyone with a car can be a taxi driver'',one islander said, but as far as those deserted beaches? '' Last Tuesday at Trunk Bay it looked like Coney Island'', said resident Mary Bartoluuci.'         nothing else to say is there?

Cruise_Princess

Re: Caribbean gridlock
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2010, 06:40 PM »
Just a result of how cruising is going....I certainly wouldn't want to be one of the thousands disembarking thats for sure......would be as well to go to a beach in spain....would be quieter cause they are all on a cruise ship on the caribbean! 

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2010, 12:19 AM »
Why on Earth don't the cruise lines spread it out, one ship each day on five days of the week instead of all five at once each week?

And then put Oasis in on the 6th day.....??

It would be much less hassle for all concerned wouldn't it?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Common sense doesnt seem to be a necessary 'qualification' in the cruise industry ....does it?

Offline andy liney

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Why on Earth don't the cruise lines spread it out, one ship each day on five days of the week instead of all five at once each week?

And then put Oasis in on the 6th day.....??

It would be much less hassle for all concerned wouldn't it?

They DO land cruise ships all week, it just so happens that Oasis has chosen Tuesday to join in the fun, and whichever day she had chosen would then automatically become the busiest. Having said that, I was there on Tuesday 15th. December (Oasis's second visit) and it seemed no busier than usual, and Magen's Bay (commonly regarded as the best beach on St. Thomas) was reasonable - even in the beach bar when it rained!

There are two cruise terminals on St. Thoams, incidentally, and I've noticed in both that passengers seem to be returning to ships as fast as others are leaving. I get the impression that the main activity is a quick dash into Charlotte Amalie for some Tanzanite jewellery (whatever that is!) and back for lunch.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:31 AM »
I see, so the five ( now six ) regular Tuesday calls aren't the only calls there?

That was the impression I was getting!  So, if there are ships there daily it looks a lot less awkward to me now. :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline andy liney

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:03 AM »
I see, so the five ( now six ) regular Tuesday calls aren't the only calls there?

No, prior to my recent visit, I'd been there twice before on cruises (once on QM2) and neither time did we dock on a Tuesday. Each ship/cruise line seems to have their own regular itinerary.

Queen Mary 2 Caribbean Calypso Review

Started by highlander0108Board RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 4
Views: 1802
Last post Jan 26, 2011, 06:49 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Poll for May 2024 : QE2 in the Caribbean

Started by June IngramBoard Photo Competition and QE2 Calendar

Views: 96
Last post Jun 08, 2024, 12:44 AM
by June Ingram
Cruise director on 1973/1974 Caribbean cruise

Started by L'homme CruiseBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 7
Views: 3598
Last post Aug 29, 2015, 06:36 PM
by Jeff Taylor
March 1973 Caribbean cruise

Started by RC ManningBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 11
Views: 4573
Last post Feb 24, 2011, 08:57 PM
by RC Manning
May 2024 : QE2 in the Caribbean

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (2025 Calendar)

Views: 313
Last post May 15, 2024, 07:00 PM
by Lynda Bradford