Author Topic: QE2 Steam Turbine Fuel Consumption  (Read 11043 times)

Offline Chris

QE2 Steam Turbine Fuel Consumption
« on: Feb 15, 2009, 03:17 AM »
I am having some trouble finding a definitive answer as to what QE2's original power plant rated at for Fuel Consumption. Does anyone know where I could find this information?

Cheers,

Chris.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2014, 08:06 PM by Rob Lightbody »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline QE2_MATTHEW

Re: Steam Turbine Fuel Consumption
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Hi. I think i have read this somewhere. Perhaps you could give me some time. I will get back to you.

Matt
Im free...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2009, 12:19 PM »
I don't know the answer exactly, but it does give me an excuse to plug this page on my website!

http://www.roblightbody.com/liners/qe-2/QE2_fuel_economy.htm
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2009, 02:31 PM »
I don't know the answer exactly, but it does give me an excuse to plug this page on my website!

http://www.roblightbody.com/liners/qe-2/QE2_fuel_economy.htm

and an excellent site it is as well!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2009, 01:37 PM »
It is great - thanks Rob, always enjoy reading your website.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Waverley

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2009, 03:21 PM »
Chris,
       Came across this on my QE2 "surfing day" which may answer your original question.

Technical

After the ship was launched the "QE2" was fitted out with a steam turbine powerplant utilising three Foster Wheeler E.S.D II boilers which would provide steam for the two Brown - Pametrada turbines rated with a maximum power output figure of 110,000 shaft horsepower (normally operating at 94,000hp) coupled to two six-bladed fixed-pitch propellors.

The steam powerplant had been plagued by problems ever since the ship had been launched and after seventeen years of service the Cunard company had decided that the options with the "QE2" were that the steam powerplant was becoming increasingly expensive at 600 tons of fuel every 24 hours to operate, spare parts were also becoming difficult to acquire due to the outdated design of her boilers and turbines so they could either replace the Queen or re-engine her with a more efficient diesel electric powerplant. The latter would allow the ship to operate for another twenty years of service and was a cheaper solution and would return the "Queen" to service in six months rather than waiting several years for a shipyard to design and build a new ship from the keel up. During the "Queen Elizabeth 2's" 1986 to 1987 refit, the steam turbine powerplant and its associated equipment was removed and scrapped and she was then fitted with nine German MAN L58/64 nine-cylinder diesel engines, each weighing approximately 120 tons, which were installed in a diesel-electric configuration, typical service speed of convert|28.5|kn|km/h can be maintained using only seven of these engines, her maximum power output with all new engine configuration running was now 130000hp over the previous systems 110,000. Using the same IF-380 (Bunker 'C') fuel, the new engines yielded a 35% saving over the previous system. The diesel engines drive G.E.C. generators, and each develops 10.5 MW of electrical power at 10,000 volts. The electrical plant, in addition to powering auxiliary ship's and hotel services through transformers, drives two main propulsion motors, one on each propeller shaft. These motors produce 44 MW and are of synchronous salient pole construction, nine meters in diameter and weigh more than 400 tons, at this time her funnel was replaced by a wider one in order to accommodate the exhaust pipes for the nine B&W medium speed diesel engines.

At the same time the fixed-pitch propellors were replaced with variable-pitch types so the ship could operate in forward or astern - the steam powerplant required astern turbines to move the ship backwards or stop her moving forward where as the new variable pitch blades could be simply reversed allowing the ship better stopping times and improved handling qualities.

The new propellors originally were fitted with Grimm Wheels, which were free-spinning propellor blades that were fitted behind the main propellors with long vanes protruding from the centre hub, these were fitted to theoretically recover lost propellor thrust and gain 2.5 to 3% less fuel consumption. However after the trial when the ship was drydocked the majority of the vanes had broken off each wheel and so they were removed and the project was abandoned.

Other machinery includes nine heat recovery boilers, coupled with two oil-fired boilers to produce steam for heating fuel, domestic water, swimming pools, laundry equipment, and kitchens. Four flash evaporators and a reverse osmosis unit desalinate sea water to create drinking water, producing 1000 tons of fresh water daily. There is also a sanitation system and sewage disposal plant, air conditioning plant, and an electro-hydraulic steering system. [ [http://www.qe2.org.uk/engine.html QE2: The engine room] ]
Robert

Offline Rod

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2011, 11:05 AM »
At transatlantic speed, normal consumption was about 550 tons of fuel/day.
They had a fuel meter in the boiler room. As a Cadet i found it fascinating to watch it!

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2014, 06:29 PM »
One of the engineers worked out a figure of 66 feet per gallon for QE2 at 28.5knots.
Willum

The 1970s fuel crisis - why didn't they slow QE2 down?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 6
Views: 1350
Last post Dec 30, 2023, 09:44 PM
by Twynkle
QE2 Turbine Blade Sculpture

Started by WaverleyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 40
Views: 15324
Last post Mar 02, 2019, 01:07 AM
by June Ingram
QE2's Boilers & Steam Turbines

Started by Adam HodsonBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 39
Views: 23860
Last post Dec 26, 2019, 05:02 PM
by Twynkle
British Pathe Video: QE2 Return following turbine troubles (January 1969)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 build film footage/videos

Replies: 0
Views: 1770
Last post Jan 02, 2015, 07:17 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Tom Goode: Chief Engineer 1984 3 weeks cover (Steam Engines)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Chief Engineers

Replies: 0
Views: 1277
Last post Jan 12, 2018, 10:34 AM
by Lynda Bradford