Author Topic: HMY Britannia (The Royal Yacht)  (Read 38079 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: HMY Britannia (The Royal Yacht)
« Reply #45 on: Jul 26, 2011, 10:59 PM »
The Royal Yacht Britannia is a lovely Clydebank built ship and it is easy to imagine why Her Majesty was so sad when she was decommissioned.   

Zara Phillips is getting married in the beautiful Canongate Kirk in Edinburgh this week-end, 30 July.  The BBC news mentioned that there is a to be  a cocktail party and reception held onboard the Britannia on the Friday evening. I wish I was invited!  ;)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Jul 30, 2011, 10:20 AM »
Members of the British royal family have been back on board the royal yacht Britannia for a reception. I think this is the first time any of them have returned to her since she left service.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=120075087&EditorialProduct=News
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #47 on: Jul 30, 2011, 10:31 AM »
I notice they used a proper gangway and did not have to enter through a shopping centre!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #48 on: Jul 30, 2011, 10:38 AM »
A Royal event like this will do a lot to raise the profile of the ship.  It was a beautiful warm evening yesterday and I am sure that this would have added to the atmosphere and enjoyment of the event. 

It is just a pity that the other famous Clydebank built ship is in Dubai instead of hosting the rich and famous and not so rich and famous events which as we all know she could do so well. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Andy F

« Reply #49 on: Sep 01, 2011, 02:09 AM »
A sad sight indeed.  Thanks to my job, I have been fortunate to go aboard her on a number of occasions during her long and illustrious service with the RN and a fine vessel she was too.  I also visited her in Leith back in 2005 I think it was, and found her pretty much as I remembered her. 

The addition of the tea room to the Royal Deck is, it must be said, absolutely hideous however practical this may be and comparisons can certainly be made with the original NH plans for QE2.  I accept this is a business and she has to earn her keep but as I have always said about QE2, appreciate her for what she is, not try to turn her into something she never was. 
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #50 on: Nov 12, 2011, 10:26 PM »
This link was posted by the RN Lookout earlier on twitter
with the comments,
     'Daily mail produces designs for "Fantasy Royal Yacht" -Interesting if pie in the sky & not even flying white ensign!'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060561/A-yacht-rule-waves-Two-weeks-ago-Mail-launched-campaign-new-Royal-Yacht-Here-unveil-truly-majestic-blueprint.html

(One of the best things about the Round Britain on QE was to see the sparkling clean Engine Room , then go well below on the Britannia and take look at her boilers!)
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2011, 10:28 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #51 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:16 PM »
HM Royal Yacht Britannia in Leith
from  Captain Martini's gallery
http://home.btconnect.com/captainmark/PhotoAlbums/album_1225559229/

Offline Twynkle

Re: HMY Britannia
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:32 AM »
Carriers do have stabilisers Rosie but what I was alluding to was the fact that while they certainly fulfil the function intended (i.e. a floating airfield), and very effective they are too, comfort is not exactly in the forefront of the designer's mind  :(

Subs tend to have hydroplanes rather than stabilisers  

(Andy F, Thanks for this - and not sure how to involve QE2, chef-ing, or queets in the next question either ;)
Have you seen the sleeping arrangements in HMRY Britannia - hammocks in use until 'very recently'
Comfort - apparently not a priority there either!
This is sooo off topic that the Mods might turn up at any minute!
Rosie - trying to be invisible)

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #53 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:10 AM »
hammocks in use until 'very recently'

When the royal yacht converted to berths from hammocks, one of the old salts said that he had been sleeping in a hammock for so many years, that he couldn't get to sleep in the berths.
So, he did the obvious, and appealed to the queen.  She, having salt water in her veins herself, was happy to grant his request to continue sleeping in a hammock. 

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #54 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:35 PM »

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:28 PM »
Episode 2 of BBC's currently-airing 3-part documentary series THE DIAMOND QUEEN, a portrait of the life and work of HM the Queen, features several minutes devoted to the former royal yacht Britannia.   
It includes some lovely film footage.
But, a big surprise to me, something that I and probably you have never heard before, was Britannia's secret role should nuclear war break out.  Britannia was to serve as HM's nuclear bunker, so to speak.  Britannia would have sheltered HM in the Scottish sea lochs, and should it have been necessary, from Britannia the Queen would have appointed a new Prime Minister.
It was explained that Britannia's would-be role as a hospital ship was a cover for her real purpose of serving as HM's nuclear war refuge.
I wonder what the plans are now?

So far, in parts one and two, no mention of any other ships... perhaps next week, in part three.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #56 on: Mar 08, 2012, 07:45 PM »
The lovely small royal barge currently moored alongside the Royal Yacht, Britannia,
will be carrying the Queen and Prince Philip to the bigger barge - the Spirit of Chartwell on the Thames
Best of all, she will be crewed by her old deckhands!

Read more here:
http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/300096-royal-yacht-britannias-barge-to-take-pride-of-place-in-jubilee-celebrations/

http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2072626/Ones-Jubilee-barge--glamorous-model-whos-making-fit-Queen.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-17304277
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2012, 03:15 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #57 on: Apr 16, 2013, 07:52 PM »
60 years today since the launch of the Royal Yacht Britannia

BBC has some nice photos of the launch of the ship and later with the British Royal family onboard. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22122763
www.qe2event.com

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #58 on: Apr 16, 2013, 08:53 PM »
And if anyone has toured round the Britannia its quite an eye opener...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #59 on: Apr 16, 2013, 09:17 PM »
Yes, who knew she had a massive conservatory fitted on the roof! Hope she had planning permission! ;-)
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Venus, Steve Jobs' Yacht designed by Philippe Starck

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Ships

Replies: 6
Views: 1759
Last post Jun 10, 2014, 07:20 PM
by jdl
Mick Whitlock, QE2 Waiter, Britannia Restaurant, 1974 - 1977

Started by Mick WhitlockBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 2
Views: 2366
Last post Mar 15, 2014, 06:30 PM
by cunardqueen