Author Topic: HMY Britannia (The Royal Yacht)  (Read 38077 times)

Offline Stowaway2k

HMY Britannia (The Royal Yacht)
« on: Jan 08, 2010, 11:01 AM »
Built by John Brown & Co. Ltd, Clydebank;  launched by Queen Elizabeth on 16 April 1953

During nearly 44 years of service she steamed 1,087,923 nautical miles, including a few which included QE2 in some way.

Now a museum ship in Leith Harbour, Edinburgh.

HMY BRITANNIA

my video slideshow...

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2010, 12:45 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Jem

Re: Other Classic Ships Thread
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Lovely slides of a beauitful vessel. I was really upset when the Government decided to with draw her from service, because of so called 'cost'! I wonder how much ti now cost the government to 'hire' buildings when the Queen is abroad and how much does all the extra security cost. At the decommissioning ceremony, it was the only time I've seen the Queen with tears in her eyes.
I wish a replacement could have been built here in the UK, it would have showed that we still can do exceptional work when required. Then again maybe thats just wishfuk thinking on my part.
I might start a new thread, should the Royal Yacht be replaced!

Offline Jem

Should A Replacement Be Made For The Royal Yacht?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2010, 11:48 AM »
I was really upset when the Government decided to with draw her from service, because of so called 'cost'! I wonder how much it now cost the government to 'hire' buildings when the Queen is abroad and how much does all the extra security cost. At the decommissioning ceremony, it was the only time I've seen the Queen with tears in her eyes.
I wish a replacement could have been built here in the UK, it would have showed that we still can do exceptional work when required. Then again maybe thats just wishful thinking on my part.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Should A Replacement Be Made For The Royal Yacht?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2010, 11:51 AM »
I would say yes, there should be a replacement.

At the time of the wihdrawal one of the national papers published quite a few suggested designs that had been created, I think four or five, and all were very impressive.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:35 PM »
No!

Because they should fetch the existing yacht back, and completely rebuild her, while not altering her profile at all.

I'm no Royalist, but that yacht was beautiful, and a sublime ambassador and promotional tool for the UK wherever she went.  It was a SCANDAL that it was retired, instead of being refitted.  If they can convert QE2 from steam to diesel, they sure as hell could have done it with the Royal Yacht!

And now that beautiful little ship languishes behind A SHOPPING MALL in a city that has so many tourist attractions that she gets forgotten about or people do not have time to fit her in to their schedules.  shame shame shame!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

HMY Britannia
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:45 PM »
HMY Britannia -  The Royal Yacht.

Britannia and her younger 'yard-mate' (?!) QE2 shared the same builders -
and the architect - designer, Hugh Casson.
He was responsible for much of the interior designs of the 'private apartments' on Britannia,
much on Canberra and he advised on some of the early designs on QE2.

This is her official website.
http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/

Thank you for posting the lovely video, Kyle
This will always be my equal number one ship!
QE2 reminds me of her -
there's something very special about both of them!

(with PS Waverley coming a close second!)
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2010, 09:30 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
Re: HMY Britannia
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:39 PM »
The Royal yacht is a lovely looking vessel. I had intended to pay her a visit during my recent trip to Edinburgh but didn't manage it. We're back in Scotland in June, so hopefully, we'll be able to go onboard then.
BTW, there's a Britannia gift shop in the shopping mall adjacent to her berth.
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:08 PM »
Ah, yes Rob - I confess I hadn't thought of bringing Britannia back into use!  Having seen her in service a number of times, I agree - she does look the part.

Personally, though, if that were to happen I'd try to find a way of justifying keeping her as a steam ship...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Jem

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:57 AM »
Rob, is she still capable of returning to service? Is everything still on her as is? My 'late' friend on a number of occasions was on 'guard ship duty' when the Royal Family were onboard. He was shown her engine room and  you could see your reflection in her gleeming brass and not a drop of oil to be seen anywhere. All crew wore plimpsols so as not to disturb her quests. He also said she was one of the happiest ships he had ever been on. Governments like ours don't care about national pride and craftsmanship  anymore, unless there is something in it personnelly for them :(

Offline rough crossing

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Convert the former Royal Yacht to diesel?! ??? Surely one of the main issues in deciding to decommission was the fact that it was virtually in 'as built' condition - the steam plant and associated machinery are historically very important.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Would  it prob be less expensive to build a new yacht??? I have always felt it was so sad to take this off the Queen as already said how much does it cost for hotel stays etc for her visits abroad....it was such a big part of her life and a place where she could truly relax....when leaving Qe2 in Dubai I knew how HM must have felt about Britannia...it was HERS...and she should STILL have it...the MPs get ALL the luxury perks.. and after all she IS our Queen.....seeing round Britannia in Leith was wonderful but made me feel that it should still belong to the Queen.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:37 PM »
I think YES, l did visit her in the early days in Leith  and while it wasnt what l expected, she is a lovely ship, its shame she had to go when she did, buts thats politics.
 The recent picture of HM The Queen boarding a train, l really though how degrading it all looked. It does seem a shame that The Queen of all people doesnt have a Royal Yacht, yes it costs a lot of money etc etc, But she is the Queen after all.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline luzparis

« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:54 PM »
this ship she's very beautiful !! 

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:39 PM »
IIt does seem a shame that The Queen of all people doesnt have a Royal Yacht, yes it costs a lot of money etc etc, But she is the Queen after all.   

There is a ship out there bearing her name that probably could be readily had for the right price!  ;D 8)
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2010, 04:49 PM »
I see the news today that the Queen is to charter the hebridean princess again at a cost of £300,000. and the passengers booked for that period had their cruise cancelled but have been awarded upgrades refunds etc.....its a real shame as surely they could have kept the yacht going for her regn as she loved it so much and obviously still does.....

Venus, Steve Jobs' Yacht designed by Philippe Starck

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Ships

Replies: 6
Views: 1759
Last post Jun 10, 2014, 07:20 PM
by jdl
Mick Whitlock, QE2 Waiter, Britannia Restaurant, 1974 - 1977

Started by Mick WhitlockBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 2
Views: 2366
Last post Mar 15, 2014, 06:30 PM
by cunardqueen