Author Topic: The QE2 Diva Mary Mastomy  (Read 1459 times)

Online cunardqueen

The QE2 Diva Mary Mastomy
« on: Jul 24, 2020, 06:14 PM »
Its a bit late , but those of us who had the great privilidge to meet The QE2 Diva Mary Mastony will be saddened to learn of her passing in June 2018

https://obits.nj.com/obituaries/starledger/obituary.aspx?n=mary-mastony&pid=189467964

I learned of this Lady on a cruise , I think away back in 2004 and had always hoped our paths might cross.
I always thought what was said of her was Tongue in cheek, and being American she was a tad short of the fullblock, or so l was told. I was hopeful she was not another Bea Muller, and was assured in no uncertain terms that they were totally opposite. Which as far as lm concerned was a good thing.

Our paths crossed on The Farewell UK cruise in 2008 on deck at a sailaway, l had snapped a rear view pictures of Carol Thatcher in leggings and was trying to recover from the shock when l saw Mary was stood alone on the Boat Deck and l grasped my chance to say Hello to this Legend, We chatted and laughed  and shared a few memories , she was hoping to do some of her songs one night, and that l had to be sure to see her and cheer her on.

Over the remaning days l encountered her at different places and always made sure to stop and wish her well, l was browsing the photo gallery looking for a photo and was engrossed when l felt this nudge at my side, thinking l was in the way l moved , another nudge and l looked and low and behold it was Dear Mary , she had amassed a few photos of her in her ballgown and wanted to know which one l thought was best, and did she look ok in them. For a moment l was reminded of that scene from the Golden Girls when Blache (the slutty one) is looking for praise in her new dress, and sensing l could get away with this l paused and said " Mary ,Your the QE2 Diva , No one right now has ever looked so good and will never look so good again as you do in these photos"  l was given a look that told me either she has no idea of what iv just said or she is thinking of something to say, and she flashed me one of her smiles and thanked me for the compliment. And she asked again But which photo do you think l should buy. l took my time with her and said "l have the perfect idea, I have clearly missed your singing performance so let me buy you the photo that i think is the best ". Which is what l did, given the photos l had already bought, well what was one more for the shipboard account. I always said QE2 has been very kind to me, and the least l can do is return some of that kindness.

A UK couple close to us , after Mary had gone came over and said to me Oh that woman is a batty as a fruit cake and stinks of pee, l was aware of the aroma but to be honest was more saddened by this couples reaction.
Whatever world Mary was in, she was happy , and l was happy to play along with her , and we could do that on QE2 . So wherever she is , l prey she is singing her little heart out , and l for one will look back on our few encounters with fun and good times onboard our ship.
Rest in Peace Dear Mary

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: The QE2 Diva Mary Mastomy
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2020, 06:42 PM »
Thank you, Myles. That is a beautiful obituary you have written for her. How lovely that you got to meet her and chat with her. May she rest in peace.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2020, 06:52 PM »
Lovely memory Myles and it was very good of you to take time to speak to Mary and to buy the photo, which I am sure she appreciated.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2020, 10:24 AM »
Thank you Myles for your tribute, and your memories.

From what I've heard, there were a fair number of QE2 regular "characters" on board, yourself included!

Glasgow City Council uses a catchphrase "People make Glasgow", and they could have said the same about QE2 when in service.

RIP Mary.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2020, 03:30 PM »
My wife and I met Mary on our part of the World Cruise in 2002 & 2005. She entertained passengers at the talent contest and she 'sang' arias in a soprano voice from the Operas. She was obviously a well educated entertaining lady who loved to talk to folks and she handed out her little cards with contact her details. She loved that 'family' atmosphere on QE2. It was a privilege to have met her as she sang her way around the world; I'm sure I have her book somewhere.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2020, 03:39 PM »
I would like to learn more about this QE2 Diva.  Are there any more memories of Mary?

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2020, 12:17 AM »
Very well said, Myles !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2020, 11:22 PM »
I was recounting at The Club party my tale of meeting The QE2 diva on the Westbound crossing to a dear gay friend who sailed on a few of QE2s last World Cruises, l must say here that we both shared a devilish sense of humor, and the camp chat, and while l have never heard Mary singing, He confided in low tones "That she struggled with the higher notes Dear, and of course you know that her voice was trained in Rome ?" l of course saw no reason not to believe his words and was accepting all this ...until he added the bit " and when we ever get back to Rome, shes going to collect it then"  he said it with no malice and with a glint in his eye.  And if we want to imagine the scene think of it like Cissy and Ada and he was playing Cissy , we did share a quiet laugh.

From what I've heard, there were a fair number of QE2 regular "characters" on board, yourself included! 
Thanks Rob, l think :-\  . I have recounted a few tales to you in person,of both crew and passengers  and l think sometimes thats the best way to do it. 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Jeff Mahler

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2020, 05:15 AM »
Wishing there was a "love" button.
Decorating the Queens room and Grand Lounge for 18 years. TOYL!

Queen Mary 2 Caribbean Calypso Review

Started by highlander0108Board RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 4
Views: 1785
Last post Jan 26, 2011, 06:49 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Books about Queen Mary (1936)

Started by ChrisBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 5
Views: 3143
Last post Feb 09, 2018, 01:24 PM
by Jimbilton
Single Supplement on Queen Mary 2

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 6
Views: 2457
Last post Nov 04, 2015, 04:26 PM
by tdickson
Queen Mary maybe back at work after 50 years?

Started by Chris ThompsonBoard Cunard

Replies: 3
Views: 1516
Last post Apr 07, 2020, 01:38 PM
by Barumfox
Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth meet in Sydney

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 0
Views: 1894
Last post Feb 22, 2011, 10:30 AM
by Lynda Bradford