Author Topic: John Maxtone-Graham "QE2 lament"  (Read 2355 times)

Offline singlemalt

John Maxtone-Graham "QE2 lament"
« on: Feb 14, 2009, 10:48 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted somewhere else on here (if so don't worry about deleting it Rob!)

Just because it struck a chord with me way back last year, around the time of the final voyage so wanted to pass it on to anyone who may have missed it:

http://www.worldshipny.com/qe2lament.html

Had the pleasure of fighting for a seat in the theatre on 4 occasions when JM-G was a Guest Lecturer on the final cruise to Norway / Iceland last year. An enthralling speaker fully in command of a spellbound audience. An absolute pleasure to listen to. 

I ran into him (quite literally!) whilst being a geeky camera girl in Gerainger. He was waiting patiently for me to finish taking a photo before he stepped forward to do the same; commenting "She really does take your breath away doesn't she?"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/singlemalt_ali/3244403789/
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2009, 05:55 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline Andy F

Lament to Our Queen
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2009, 02:33 AM »
Following up Isabelle's earlier post about John Brown, I totally agree that by keeping the 'dream alive', we help to create a legacy for future generations to understand just what QE2 was about, how she deservedly earned her place in maritime history and exactly why she was held in such great affection by everyone she reached out and touched. 

Once under her spell you were caught but while her heart may have stopped beating and her soul departed along with the final passengers and crew that dreadful day in Dubai, her memory will continue to live on. Many of us have been privileged to have spent time aboard her and relished every moment but even if sadly you didn’t get to savour the experience, you will have your own cherished memories of what was QE2 and what she meant to us all. 

But time cannot stand still and while sadly things cannot remain the same forever, our experiences and memories are indelibly stamped firmly upon our psyche and shall never be erased, nor for that matter would we wish them to.  The next chapter in this remarkable story is yet to be written but whatever the outcome, our memories remain and reliving and sharing these with like-minded friends helps ease the pain at the loss we have all suffered yet share and the very epitome of why this forum was set up and what it represents.

Although there may be pretenders to the crown, there will never be another Queen Elizabeth 2. She remains indeed, the greatest and most loved ship in the World, not just in our lifetime but probably of all time and although she will sadly grace the oceans no more, one thing is certain for she shall never be forgotten.

God Bless you Queen Elizabeth 2 and thanks for the memories!
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2009, 02:40 AM by Andy Fitzsimmons »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline hollihedge

Re: Lament to Our Queen
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2009, 07:51 AM »
Couldn't agree more Andy - extremely eloquently put, thank you.
I think the forum is wonderful most importantly for keeping her memory alive but have also found it very helpful in the loss I still feel very keenly for her.  I do not think it matters if you have sailed on her 100 times or never seen her - if she has entranced you then you are under her spell always.  God bless her.
Gill

Offline Andy F

Re: Lament to Our Queen
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2009, 01:43 PM »
Well said Gill and that's exactly the point I was trying to make.  We are all here because of our connection with this great ship and although our stories and experiences may differ, we share a mutual interest.
Start every day with a smile and get it over with