Author Topic: New Underwater Coating on the QM2  (Read 5882 times)

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
New Underwater Coating on the QM2
« on: Apr 25, 2009, 06:28 AM »
This is interesting. Makes one wonder what this would have done to QE2's performance!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/NEWSMMIX/2009apr00163.html

and from this:

Intersleek 900 improves Queen Mary 2 performance
Carnival Corporation reports positive performance results following the application of the fluoropolymer foul release coating Intersleek 900 for the underwater hull of Cunard's Queen Mary 2.

Almost 6000 square meters of the liner's hull was hydroblasted and recoated at its recent maintenance & repair docking at Blohm & Voss, Hamburg.

The ship had been previously coated with a self polishing copolymer (SPC) antifouling. The decision to switch to Intersleek 900 was an integral part of a strategic initiative to reduce fuel usage, cost and associated CO2 emissions whilst still maintaining operational schedules.

Mr. David Strawford, Head of Technical Services, Carnival UK said, "To date, performance results have been very positive. The vessel is achieving operational speed whilst utilizing less power than was previously the case--a significant improvement compared to the previous SPC system."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, for us modellers it looks as though a repaint of our models might be needed?

Cheers!
Edmund

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: New Underwater Coating on the QM2
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 02:17 PM »
Oh how QE2 would have loved this.  More economical, and even faster.

Once upon a time QE2 was the prestigious flagship that British Industry tried their cutting edge hull coatings on...   :'(   

Now she's sitting, abandoned, having not had her hull painted in over 3 years.

link to image not active
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2023, 10:46 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 06:49 PM »
And doesnt the bridge windows have some of that special coating that makes the water disperse very quickly.
It used to be the Lido windows that amazed me, some of them were in a shocking state.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:40 PM »
RAIN-X?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 07:59 PM »
On the Blue Peter special about the "new" QE2 in 87, I remember them talking about the coatings on the Lido windows - I think they might also have shown it on Tomorrow's world - they showed the water running off - it was indeed very like Rain-X!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

waveydavey

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2009, 04:59 PM »
I would not take too much notice with who the quote was from.

It was his decision and he never admits mistakes

Offline junglejames

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Assuming this 900 series paint does the same as the silicon based one, then it is a very good coating, and results on other types of vessels to have had this coating are apparently very positive.

It has a rubbery type texture when dry, and so is very very durable. 5yrs plus and no blemish. It will last a lot longer than normal antifouling. Oh, and that isnt something quoted by the manufacturers, there is evidence of this.

When it is wet, it takes on a very smooth and silky texture, meaning it glides through the water with nowhere near as much friction. It also doesnt allow anything to stick to the hull, meaning it is always very very clean, and nothing to add to friction.

James

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2009, 04:51 PM »
James, do you know how this coating is affected if the ship is not moving, or stationary for long periods of time.  I have an ablative coating on my small boat that needs water movement to slowly wear away the coating, exposing more of the finish that is caustic to the marine growth.  I wonder what the hull of QE2 looks like now.  Also, if the ship has been sitting for awhile, are the props scraped clean of barnicles before returning to service? 

Ken
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline junglejames

« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:07 PM »
Ships that have been sitting idle for ages do have problems with marine growth sticking to the hull. This can slow the vessel down by a few knots.
However this silicone based coating, with its very smooth silky texture when wet, leaves it very very difficult for marine growth to stick to the hull. Some marine growth will still manage to stick to the hull if standing still for ages, but it wont take long after getting going again for this to be washed off.

As for the props. Im not that sure what they are like after prolonged inactivity.

James

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:13 PM »
off-topic here, but QE2's hull and props were gleaming in August when she was dry-docked... so the question is really what will they be like after nearly 4 months of inactivity, rather than 12...

Offline junglejames

« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2009, 01:49 AM »
4 months is long enough for a large build up of marine growth. Put it this way. She wouldnt be hitting 30 knots without a good hull clean.

James

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:43 AM »
(qV is unintentionally all-over 'green' beneath her waistwaterline - some would say that this wasn't a pretty sight...)
written in a very, very hushed tones, aside and into the wings. :)

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2010, 03:21 AM »
Ships that have been sitting idle for ages do have problems with marine growth sticking to the hull. This can slow the vessel down by a few knots.
However this silicone based coating, with its very smooth silky texture when wet, leaves it very very difficult for marine growth to stick to the hull. Some marine growth will still manage to stick to the hull if standing still for ages, but it wont take long after getting going again for this to be washed off.

As for the props. Im not that sure what they are like after prolonged inactivity.

James

According to the International Marine website, this coating is designed for vessels with hull speeds that exceed 10 knots.  This would imply that motion is necessary to keep the coating clear(er).  This coating has a much smoother surface and results in less drag. 

Here are interesting videos fo the technically minded:

http://www.international-marine.com/intersleek900/Pages/Video.aspx#
http://www.international-marine.com/intersleek900/Pages/Default.aspx
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

QE2 Portholes - low down/underwater

Started by KEVBoard Features of the QE2

Replies: 31
Views: 23390
Last post Apr 25, 2019, 02:38 PM
by Rod
QE2 - Underwater Survey April 2023

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 6
Views: 1441
Last post May 25, 2023, 02:53 PM
by Thomas Hypher