Author Topic: Cunard-White Star Line advertisement from 1937  (Read 10953 times)

Ocean Liner Fanatic

Cunard-White Star Line advertisement from 1937
« on: Feb 14, 2009, 06:18 PM »
Here is a link to a Cunard-White Star Line advertisement from 1937.Here is the link http://www.titanicmuseum.de/Page11041/Boxhall_1937/Boxhall-hp.JPG There is a picture in this advertisement that does show 2 Cunard-White Star deck officers on the bridge of the Aquitania.The man on the right does have an interesting story in his career as a ship's deck officer.His name is Joseph Boxhall and he is one of the four surviving deck officers from the Titanic disaster.He stayed with the White Star Line after the Titanic disaster,past the time of the merger between the Cunard Line and the White Star Line in 1934.He did rise up to the rank of Chief Officer aboard the Aquitania but unfortunately for him he never got promoted to the rank of Captain and the other 3 surviving deck officers of the Titanic never got promoted to the rank of Captain either.He retired in 1940 and in 1958 Joseph Boxhall was the technical advisor to the Titanic movie A Night to Remember and in 1967 the same year that the QE2 was launched he passed away on April 25th. Any comments? Regards Jerry

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
Re: Cunard-White Star Line advertisement from 1937
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:00 AM »
I'm sorry not to have seen this earlier. I'm indirectly related to one of the other ex-Titanic officers, Charles Herbert Lightoller from Chorley who never reached the rank of Captain sadly. If I can access any papers I'll try to tell you more.

Cheers!
Edmund

Ocean Liner Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2009, 03:09 PM »
I'm sorry not to have seen this earlier. I'm indirectly related to one of the other ex-Titanic officers, Charles Herbert Lightoller from Chorley who never reached the rank of Captain sadly. If I can access any papers I'll try to tell you more
Cheers!
  Edmund, If you can post the papers of Officer Lightoller, I would really be interested in reading them. Regards,Jerry
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009, 03:18 PM by Ocean Liner Fanatic »

Offline Andrew W

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2009, 04:30 AM »
Charles Lightoller wrote a book about his experiences before and after the Titanic. I think he commanded a destroyer in the 1st world war and won the DSC and a bar to that medal.

I think it's on-line here: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/nonus?id=olbp33763

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:02 AM »
I will try to see what's in any family files and pass this on. Yes he had quite a life but a White Star command never came his way.

Cheers!
Edmund

Ocean Liner Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2009, 04:40 PM »
Charles Lightoller wrote a book about his experiences before and after the Titanic. I think he commanded a destroyer in the 1st world war and won the DSC and a bar to that medal.

I think it's on-line here: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/nonus?id=olbp33763
I can not get access to this link of the on-line edition of Lightoller's book "Titanic and Other Ships" because I live in the United States.I would still like to read that book.Regards,Jerry

Offline Andrew W

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2009, 12:43 AM »
So do I but it let me in nonetheless.