Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE2 nooks and crannies  (Read 13020 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

QE2 nooks and crannies
« on: Dec 22, 2009, 01:35 PM »
Louis (Blue Bombay) is currently doing a tour of some of our more obsessive detailed Flickr photos and adding comments coming from his detailed knowledge of the ship and his years of life on board. I shall add the pictures and his comments here, bit by bit, and perhaps others who have more comments or questions, may want to join in! If you have similar pictures to offer for comment by Louis, you may want to do that as well. Thank you, Louis -- I love this sort of information!   :D

Do you recognise the place? Where is it? I have a fair idea, as I was grinning at myself taking it -- it was the sort of thing you only photograph if you know you are never likely to have the chance again...

Louis writes :

When theres a fire in the galley and its a fire that started from burning oils you cant use water and in most cases the fire party cant get inside so a CO2 foam can be activated from here.In the galley itself is also a locker like this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3110867911/
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2009, 01:37 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Re: QE2 nooks and crannies
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2009, 01:47 PM »
Here's another one -- a place much more familiar to most of us -- the Baggage Masters'.

Louis writes :

The meaning of that red strip along the bulkheads is that when stuff is stored they cant go over the red line,for safety reasons.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3095780619/

And indeed, it is (pretty much) so :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3956699138/
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2009, 01:56 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:42 PM »

Glad to help out, Isabelle

Louis

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:51 PM »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3341826501/

Louis writes :

The ship is divided into 9 Zones.Each Zone can to islolated is case of fire.For example Zone 4 is between C& D Stairway and from Signal Deck to 7 Deck.This area can all be closed down by Bridge Control or manually.Even when this area is closed by Bridge Control ever single door it still is checked out personally by the Close Down Party.

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2009, 08:23 AM »
Great idea for a thread Isabelle & Louis, thank you! oh, and more please :D
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2009, 02:53 PM »

The ship is divided into 9 Zones.Each Zone can to islolated is case of fire.For example Zone 4 is between C& D Stairway and from Signal Deck to 7 Deck.This area can all be closed down by Bridge Control or manually.Even when this area is closed by Bridge Control ever single door it still is checked out personally by the Close Down Party.

Correction the QE2 has 8 Zones not 9.It can also be closed down from the Safety Control Room on Two Deck.Here there is a panel with 8 switches-one for each Zone.All the fire detection systems amd alarms are monitored in this room.

Louis

« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:40 PM »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3111699548/

Louis and I write :

Louis : That is where the muster tick off boards for the tenders are kept.

Isabelle : Boards with all our names to be ticked off as we enter the lifeboats?
I wonder whether these lockers have been opened recently -- looks like some of the paint has got stuck in the openings...

Louis : No, the boards are only for the Boat Preparation Party. Passengers are ticked off at Muster Stations on Upper Deck. Everybody onboard are ticked off by numbers no names are used.

I did notice that about the paint. But that was used during my time.

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2009, 07:32 PM »
great thread this one, well done Isabelle for starting and thank you Louis for anotating the piccies!

jdl

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2009, 10:46 PM »
jdl, dont miss this space then........

Louis
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2009, 10:48 PM by Blue Bombay »

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:41 AM »
Thank you for enjoying the nooks and crannies! I too am enjoying looking at all these again, and discovering new angles to some of the photos I took. This is one of those -- I had never noticed this detail :

Louis writes, about the small yellow lamp-looking item (if you open the photo in Flickr, he has marked the exact item he is writing about) :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3758660203/

Emergency, Position, Indication, Radio, Beacon

Each ship is fitted with an EPIRB, it is mounted so that it will float free and be activated should the ship sink.This EPIRB will be of most benefit if it is taken into one of the survival craft prior to abandonment.

The EPIRB will operate for 48 hours and should indicate that they are operating normally by means of light.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:18 AM »

Thank you Isabelle for starting the thread and posting my comments here.

Louis

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:47 AM »
Thank you, Louis, for having taken the trouble to sift through my photos and add many extra comments and insights that I would not have dreamt of asking for   :D ...

You have been really observant during your years on board, and I bet you had many friends among the technically savvy members of the crew...!

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:35 AM »

You have been really observant during your years on board, and I bet you had many friends among the technically savvy members of the crew...!

Isabelle i was almost 5 years on Special Parties Muster so you have access to lots of parts of the ship where very few have and you get to learn a lot.Down below Decks i knew her inside out.

Louis

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:45 AM »
Does anyone out there have a pic of the Baggage Room plaque on 2 deck midships?   For my photo disc !! ,,,,couldnt you just kick yourself when you passed it about 20 times a day?  also any of the old radio room ? I think it was on upper deck where the Carinthia suite is now but cant be sure...it was round about there...I remember going there to send faxes etc...all seems so ancient now....
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009, 05:23 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2009, 11:03 AM »
I think it was on upper deck where the Carinthia suite is now but cant be sure...it was round about there...I remember going there to send faxes etc...all seems so ancient now....

The Carinthia Suite is on Two Deck cabin 2151.The Caledonia Suite cabin 8200 is where the Radio Room used to be, on Boat Deck.

Louis
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009, 05:30 PM by Blue Bombay »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:15 PM »
Does anyone out there have a pic of the Baggage Room plaque on 2 deck midhsips?   For my photo disc !! ,,,,couldnt you just kick yuorself wehn you passed it about 20 times a day?  also any of the old radio room ? I think it was on upper deck where the Carinthia suite is now but cant be sure...it was round about there...I remember going there to send faxes etc...all seems so ancient now....

Sorry, Cruise Princess -haven't got a picture of the plaque
Might any of these help?
They won't be the same as yours though

They were taken during the Final night of our Voyage.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/4221549601/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/4221549611/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/4221547157/in/set-72157621874100381/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/4221547145/in/set-72157621874100381/

It also might be worth looking at  QE2's images by others on flickr.com - you could well find one there, then contact the photographer for consent to copy it!

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009, 02:21 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:53 PM »

« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Thank you, Rosie, for having drawn my attention to this picture taken by AndyF -- of the very plaque!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/andyfitzsimmons/2900346506/

Thank you both, Rosie and Andy! Saved! ... just as I was thinking that we might have left a nook or a cranny unphotographed...  ;D

The QE2Story Forum at your service, Cruise_Princess!
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009, 04:12 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:19 PM »
The Carinthia Suite is on Two Deck cabin 2151.The Caledonia Suite cabin 8200 is where the Radio Room used to be, on Upper Deck.

Louis

Thanks Blue Bombay....I knew something wasnt right about it....but knew it was upper deck or maybe boat deck.....

grateful for all the pointers to get the pics....this forum is  just the best place isnt it?

« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Here is a different one for a change : the Chart Room transatlantic map (European section) :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2890048036/

Spot the deliberate (?) spelling mistake! First spotted by Rob, and not initially believed by the bar staff...

Large size here for better readability :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2890048036/sizes/l/

... and just in case, here is the solution   ;D  :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3096610392/

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:41 PM »

Isabelle nice to see my Bombay Sapphire Gin in the photo lol.  ;D

Louis

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:43 PM »
Oh dear!

Well, they do say that the bigger the typeface.... ;D

A bit off topic, but I found a similar error in the local museum in Fort William this summer which, when I pointed it out, the curators agreed was an error and must have been there for many years.  It's a brass plaque on an exhibit and refers to Queen Alexander....
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2009, 11:45 PM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:39 PM »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3095711841/

A really important door

At least, for us, it was very important, as it gave us level access to the Britannia Restaurant via Caronia -- which made life a lot easier!

QE2 was conceived right from the start in such a way as to have as few obstacles for wheelchair users as possible -- and wherever there were steps and stairs, there was (almost) always another way of getting to the same place without having to use them. And we noticed too that one of the disabled WCs was opposite this very door.

Louis adds :

Yes this door was used for the wheelchair passengers to get to the Caronia and Britannia Restaurants. It's also used in case of an emergency when the entrance to the Caronia has its fire doors closed. There's a similar door on the Portside too.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:38 PM »

Thank you, Isabelle.

Louis

« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2010, 01:18 PM »
The Sprinkler System

If you look at the photo itself, Louis has marked the sprinkler nozzle, just in front of the two ceiling lights :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2695657679/

Louis writes :

QE2 is fitted with a fully automatic sprinkler system. The ship is divided into 65 sections, each controlled by a Sprinkler Control Valve. In the event of a sprinkler head breaking, the water pressure in the line will drop, causing an alarm to be sounded in the Safety Control Room.

SPRINKLER CONTROL STATIONS MUST BE KEPT CLEAR OF ALL OBSTRUCTIONS

Raul Lucas, the Maitre d' of the Britannia Grill in September 2008, said he took great care never to do any flambé work right underneath a sprinkler!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:46 PM »
All the cabins had the little sprinkler thing in the ceiling,  But just how hot would it have to be before they went off, and if one went off in the cabin would the rest of the ones in the same area go off as well? Just wondering you understand.
 And while on the subject the Baked Alaska parade in Mauretania it was always joked that the fire alarms were turned off, or were they turned to Baked Alaska setting ;)??
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:58 PM »
And while on the subject the Baked Alaska parade in Mauretania it was always joked that the fire alarms were turned off, or were they turned to Baked Alaska setting ;)??

Myles, you must be right! Here they are, standing right under the sprinkler in the Caronia Restaurant :

You might want to look at the large version perhaps :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3801299241/sizes/l

One would have to hope that there would never be a fire in the restaurants during Baked Alaska show time!

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2010, 10:35 PM »
All the cabins had the little sprinkler thing in the ceiling,  But just how hot would it have to be before they went off, and if one went off in the cabin would the rest of the ones in the same area go off as well? Just wondering you understand.

Each cabin activates independently.

And while on the subject the Baked Alaska parade in Mauretania it was always joked that the fire alarms were turned off, or were they turned to Baked Alaska setting ??

The fire alarms are always on.

Each Sprinkler System around the ship is color code,the bulb breaks as a result of the thermal expansion of the liquid inside the bulb.The time it takes before a bulb breaks is dependent on the temperature.

Following is the colors with the temperatures before the bulb breaks.

Uncolored or Black Orange (135°F) or Red (155°F)-- 100°F / 38°
White Yellow (175°F) or Green (200°F) --150°F / 66°C
Blue Blue-- 225°F / 107°C
Red Purple-- 300°F / 149°C
Green Black-- 375°F / 191°C
Orange Black-- 475°F / 246 °C

Louis

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:27 PM »
38°C doesn't look very high - what sort of area would a sprinkler with a setting like that be fitted in?  Would it be somewhere like the corridors?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2010, 09:51 AM »
And for those of us in steerage one of our waiter, just as the flames went out..It was when he introduced himself as Randy, l really didnt know where to look.
 The sprinklers l was always wary of, granted they were most unusual things to look at, and perhaps get close to for further examination, but the thought was always there, "what if...."
 Now about the smoke alarms... How sensitive were they, you would have thought the smoke from the sparklers would have set them off.

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:02 AM »

Now about the smoke alarms... How sensitive were they, you would have thought the smoke from the sparklers would have set them off.

The smoke alarms (better known as smoke detectors) are sensitive and yes it would sound the alarm in the Control Room,when the alarms sounds they know from which room/cabins its from. The sparklers are not hot enough to set the Sprinkler Systems off.

Louis

Offline Paul White

« Reply #31 on: Jul 03, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Thank you for enjoying the nooks and crannies! I too am enjoying looking at all these again, and discovering new angles to some of the photos I took. This is one of those -- I had never noticed this detail :

(Image removed from quote.)

Louis writes, about the small yellow lamp-looking item (if you open the photo in Flickr, he has marked the exact item he is writing about) :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3758660203/

I hate to resurect an old thread but the pedant in me can't let this go :)

That is not an EPIRB. That is the smoke and light float for the man overboard lifebuoy which is housed in the box like structure to the left of it.

You can see a rope connected to the smoke float. If somebody raises a man overboard alarm the officer on watch will run out to the bridge wing and pull a wooden pin which you cannot see in the picture. This allows the lifebuoy to roll out of the box (see the slope in its bottom?) and its weight and momentum will pull the smoke float after it.

As it detatches from the bracket it breaks a seal which starts the smoke. On hitting the sea a circuit is made with a battery and lamp starting the light to flash. This makes a very effective mark to return to to rescue the poor soul who has fell out of the boat. Top tip - stay inboard! :)

I once had one of these go off in my face, I looked like an umpah-lumpah for a week!

I think we used these http://www.pwss.com/ProductSpec.aspx?ProductId=16&CatId=5

Paul
Paul

1996 - 2001
Chief Officer

« Reply #32 on: Jul 04, 2010, 01:48 AM »
I hate to resurect an old thread but the pedant in me can't let this go :)

Thank you for the information, Paul. This sounds like a highly useful piece of equipment. I know there have been men (and presumably women) overboard -- it may not always have been possible to use this item.

In this Forum, we relish working on old threads, and I am sure that the pedant in you will help us to understand even more about many things we have been discussing! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Offline skilly56

« Reply #33 on: Jul 04, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Paul,

Thank you for popping in that photo of the steps up from the port Boat Deck - that single window to the right is the 3rd Officers cabin that my wife and I occupied for 17 days (there is another 3rd officers cabin, roughly same position, on the Stbd side as well -I'm not sure where the 3rd 3rd Officer's cabin was). Ian McNaught told our young fella to go buzz off down to a little dog box on Five Deck while we used his house.

I just had to virtually step out the door with a book and into a deck chair - nice and handy.

Your timing is pretty good as well - just checked the date, and it's exactly 2 years and 3 days since we unpacked in there.

Cheers

Skilly

Offline Paul White

« Reply #34 on: Jul 04, 2010, 05:52 PM »
I spent some time in that cabin too. Most of the Navigator's lived on the Stbd side behind the Wardroom bar in what was known as 'Navigators' Alleyway' (we weren't big on imagination!). On the Port side, there was one Navigator's cabin, the Crew Chief Steward's cabin and the Crew Purser's cabin (I may have that one wrong).

During my time as Chief Officer I had both those cabins knocked into one and it became mine. I believe they were later turned into passenger cabins, but that must have been after I left Cunard in 2005.
Paul

1996 - 2001
Chief Officer

« Reply #35 on: Feb 26, 2011, 10:25 PM »
I have a picture of a QE2 fire door -- it was situated on Quarterdeck, just outside the Caronia Restaurant :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2976185276/

I cannot easily work out the mechanism for closing / opening this door, and have never seen it shut either (probably luckily so!).

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #36 on: Feb 26, 2011, 11:02 PM »
Isabelle theses doors are rolling doors to shut the doors you just need to switch the magnet off to roll the doors back up you use the handle insert in the hole and turn it anticlockwide.

Offline R80OOP

« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:11 PM »
loving these facts!!!!

« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:20 PM »
loving these facts!!!!

Thank you for that, R80OOP. I enjoy working out the significance of the many pictures I have taken over time, and Louis is wonderful with his memories of all these places.  :D

Here is another :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2929595139/

I love the way it says "For Emergency Use Only"...
Presumably the telephone is inside the yellow box -- I should have checked!

There was another emergency telephone in the Lido, to be used in case of an environmental catastrophe.

I wonder whether either of these were ever used?
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2011, 08:22 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rod

« Reply #39 on: Aug 07, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Louis (Blue Bombay) is currently doing a tour of some of our more obsessive detailed Flickr photos and adding comments coming from his detailed knowledge of the ship and his years of life on board. I shall add the pictures and his comments here, bit by bit, and perhaps others who have more comments or questions, may want to join in! If you have similar pictures to offer for comment by Louis, you may want to do that as well. Thank you, Louis -- I love this sort of information!   :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Do you recognise the place? Where is it? I have a fair idea, as I was grinning at myself taking it -- it was the sort of thing you only photograph if you know you are never likely to have the chance again...

Louis writes :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3110867911/

I would say starboard side of the galley towards the restaurant.