Author Topic: You could ask for ANYTHING.....  (Read 1558 times)

Cruise_Princess

You could ask for ANYTHING.....
« on: Apr 15, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Talking of food and desserts in the previous new topic I started brought another rather amusing memory.....

On disembarkation morning one cruise we had to have breakfast in the dining room as usual......we were laughing and joking with our magnificent table waiters...who throughout  the entire cruise tried to encourage us to order something off menu or something more unusual...when we ordered a somewhat 'dull' breakfast of just juice and a cooked english breakfast they raised their eyebrows in a hilarious fashion asking if we had no 'special requests... I cheekily said I wanted my link sausages formed into a rather elegant swan on my plate....there was much laughter...and immediately after that the fire bells sounded and most of the crew disappeared....just a handful of waiters were left ....I called one over and asked if they could just bring some toast as obviously things were a bit haywire with the fire bell going off...and within a few minutes my toast was brought to me and I thought that would be enough as there had been a bit of a mishap in the galley..  I was just finishing my coffee when our usual waiter came in holding  high a silver salver which was presented at my  table place and the lid taken off only to reveal a FABULOUS cooked english breakfast and yes you guessed it....4 link sausages entwined into a very elegant swan.... I didn't know where to look...it was so very funny...even worse was the fact I was really rather full after eating the toast but I just could not offend this waiter so tucked into this glorious creation....which was delicious of course...but just prior to disembarking the ship I was violently sick....it was just too much...but I could never have told this waiter, ,nor could I have refused to eat it....so you see you should never just ask for ANYTHING at all on board QE2 cause 9 times out of 10  YOU GOT IT!!!   

Online cunardqueen

Re: You could ask for ANYTHING.....
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2010, 08:56 PM »
On a cruise a in 1989 it became something of a joke that l liked the petit fours and they always served me last, well towards the end of the cruise the tray of petit fours came round and there was only enough for everyone except me, well l did try and hide my horror and dismay. Then lo and behold  one of the waiters appeared with this tray onwhich was two scallop shells made of marzipan joined together and filled with petit fours. And it was mine to keep !

To be honest nearly all my voyages l dinned in the Mauretania/Tables of the world. And then usually a hosted table, The service was always top notch, the waiters very soon got to know your likes and dislikes. It was always nice to enjoy banter with the staff. Working in the hotel industry it does give you a different view and what might be a simple request from the guest could at that time be a nightemare for the staff to get.. ie coleslaw for breakfast.. But l always found that a gentle request followed through with a polite thanks etc they never let you down.
 On a recent cruise the puddings were especially always hard to choose from and l asked for two small ones and out they came, then at the end of the cruise l couldnt decide what to have so just said to the waiter "surprise me" and out came the plate with a yellow coulis sauce.. then followed 4 mini puddings

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2010, 09:01 PM »
And do  tell me ...do you STILL have the marzipan shell complete with petit fours in your living room display cabinet....just by the door so that ALL visitors can see it.....Mrs Bucket style  ?? LOL!!!!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2010, 09:43 PM »
I wish !!!! when l arrived back in Orkney l kept them intact and as a treat had one a week, (jees how sad was l !!) then l started on the shell by which time it was getting a bit off shall we say.. and it broke my heart to dispose of it..
Im just pleased l have a photo to remind me..
 There was the time l ordered a takeaway BLT from room service at 3am on the last night of the cruise, along came the real one, glass of milk and fries and tiny portion of cheesecake to be eaten and the other one all wraped in foil to takeaway the next day for the long journey home. The night steward did wonder why  l wanted one wrapped in foil. I explained to him what it was about ( a lasting reminder of the cruise) and he went away, only to return shortly afterwards with a cup and saucer.. I didnt know if l should laugh,cry or just hug him . i didnt have the heart to tell him l had one already :-X
 Suffice to say every mouthfull of that sandwich bought a smile to my face on the journey home.    
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2010, 04:15 PM by Cunardqueen »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Mylse, that yellow sauce on the plate - rotate it 90° clockwise and what does it look like?

It's the Cunard Golden Lion isn't it?:)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Yes I thought that too yesterday but wasn't brave enough to say so!!! LOL

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Gosh, l never gave it any thought as to what it looked like, when Ruben the waiter presented the plate, l was just seeing little love hearts all over the place..... 

It was the night of the Coq au Vin, l cant forget, even l was lost for words.. He was a devil to me.