Author Topic: What's she like? (QM2)  (Read 41353 times)

Offline Jeff Taylor

Re: Whats she like?
« Reply #20 on: Jul 07, 2010, 11:54 PM »
Let's take QM2 for what she is and not compare her.  If I was going to do that I'd say that she doesn't have British cabin stewards who lay out your clothes and polish your shoes every night like the original QE except in the suites.  She also can't provide a dining experience where you don't even have to look at the menu and can just order whatever comes into your head like even the main dining room of the QE (one night on QM2 I asked for a shrimp cocktail in Britannia which was not on the menu.  The waiter had to get the dining room captain who, 15 minutes later, provided 4 very small and uninteresting shrimp!).  Finally, no matter how well you know the Commodore, and I've known two of them relatively well, you can't get invited to their cabin for cocktails--they are assigned a rather ordinary stateroom with no entertaining space.  Still, she's a wonderful experience with terrific sea keeping and great atmosphere, certainly the best there is today, and dinner at the Commodore's table is an experience not to be missed.

RmsAquitania

« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2010, 11:57 PM »
I think if i ever take a cunard cruise again (which i dont think will be in the forseeable future) it will be tyhe QM2, afterall she , in my opinion, is the only present cunard queen that even remotely represents the previous standards and traditions of the classic previous 3 queens.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #22 on: Jul 15, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Here's a video that gives a look inside QM2:

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #23 on: Aug 22, 2010, 06:27 PM »
I have only travelled on the QM2 once on a cruise to Norway. I remember what a wonderful experience as we sailed up Geiranger Fjord where it felt as if she was dwarfed  by the walls of fjord.  We have some fantastic photos that show how magnificent she looks. 

The decor of the QM2 was most impressive throughout the ship.  The areas that I was not so keen on was the Kings Court casual dining restaurant where the design of this restuarant did not give every seat a view, which I thought was a mistake.  I also did not like the theatre because a lot of the seats had restricted views, not good design and the Garden room which I thought could have been put to better use. 

I would love to sail on the QM2 again she is a lovely ship and to do a transatlantic crossing on her would be ideal because of her size you would not get bored exploring the ship. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2010, 07:23 PM »
She is ok...would be only choice for transatlantic as she is a liner....but just too big for us.....

Online Twynkle

« Reply #25 on: Sep 30, 2010, 11:55 AM »
Here's something very good!
Students from Jarrow School with Stephen Payne discovering things about engineering on board QM2
http://www.jarrowschool.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=72

Why not offer this on QE2, Nakheel?
She'd make the best maritime 'school visit' in the world!
Students from the UK are given the opportunity
to spend time looking at the Victory, SS Gt Britain, HMY Britannia, HMS Belfast
The Mary Rose, Gypsy Moth etc etc etc
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #26 on: Sep 30, 2010, 01:33 PM »
That is an EXCELLENT piece from Jarrow focusing on Engineering.  The word has lost much of its true meaning in the UK and my parents always had an uphill battle when explaining to people that my Dad was an engineer - and that that did not mean he reapired cars.  Washing machine engineers, for example, are not Engineers, unless they are designing the thing in the first place!    I believe the problem is the root of the word in English, is like 'Engine' which isn't very exciting, but in many other languages it is more like 'ingenious'.  In other countries, and to those who understand in this country, engineers are right up there with the respected professions like doctors, lawyers and teachers.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #27 on: Sep 30, 2010, 02:46 PM »
Students from the UK are given the opportunity
to spend time looking at the Victory, SS Gt Britain, HMY Britannia, HMS Belfast
The Mary Rose, Gypsy Moth etc etc etc

Waverley & Balmoral would be good subjects as well - giving an idea of two ships built within 2 years of each other but radically different in their design.

The oldie world engineering on Waverley would be a good grounding point before hitting the really modern techy stuff. Wav is still predominantly whitworth sizes etc. As was QE2 (at least prior to the renewal of her propulsion system) I am led to believe. Apparently a load of whitworth nuts and bolts etc were donated by QE2 to Maid of The Loch in 2008.

Gav

Gav

Online QueensFan

« Reply #28 on: Sep 30, 2010, 05:13 PM »
That is an EXCELLENT piece from Jarrow focusing on Engineering.  The word has lost much of its true meaning in the UK and my parents always had an uphill battle when explaining to people that my Dad was an engineer - and that that did not mean he reapired cars.

It's just as much of a problem here in the States. My dad's an engineer, and it's because people like him that America keeps running -- literally. I have enormous respect for the profession, and it's one I would have liked to go into, if I were a bit more left brained. My personal belief is that the loss of engineering talent is the beginning of a downfall of a country.
--- Greg

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #29 on: Sep 30, 2010, 09:52 PM »
It's just as much of a problem here in the States. My dad's an engineer, and it's because people like him that America keeps running -- literally. I have enormous respect for the profession, and it's one I would have liked to go into, if I were a bit more left brained. My personal belief is that the loss of engineering talent is the beginning of a downfall of a country.

A few months ago, I was privileged to attend a presentation given by Volvo managers in their headquarters in Sweden. They presented a huge series of facts and figures as to why Europe was losing out in manufacturing, the most important among which was the failure to produce young engineers (much higher success rates in Asia and Africa) and the failure of to attract women into engineering (highest success rate : Uganda). The presentation made a chill run down my spine, as it painted a very black picture for the future of manufacturing in Europe. Incidentally, Volvo have just been taken over by Geeley Corporation of China, where they see a bright future for themselves.

Apologies for running off at a tangent...

Online Twynkle

« Reply #30 on: Oct 03, 2010, 01:44 PM »
'Manhattan couple booted from cruise over 'Jew slur' fight'
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/the_hate_boat_j7PF4V3pbpKwIbssYw6GwO#ixzz11Ibt0I2y
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #31 on: Oct 03, 2010, 02:07 PM »
Oh dear....glad I wasn't on that cruise.

And thing is we can't blame todays cruisers for this one....they were 82 and 91 respectively and met on the QE2!!!!

It's truly awful though isn't it.... and depends if the paper has it;s facts right......there is probably another totally different side to this....

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #32 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:30 AM »
Sadly two sides to a story, can we really expect the Captain to have knocked on the cabin door.....
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Twynkle

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #34 on: Oct 05, 2010, 01:09 PM »
And what about the piece saying her hubby is the illegitimate son of the Duke of Windsor???

HAWD ME BACK!  ......Have you ever heard anything like this.......

It just gets worse...

and of course fills a paper and brings attention to a fading starlet???

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #35 on: Oct 15, 2010, 08:48 AM »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #36 on: Oct 15, 2010, 11:31 AM »
What are the cabin numbers at that level? :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #37 on: Oct 15, 2010, 12:20 PM »
What are the cabin numbers at that level? :)

Looks like Deck 3 and the Gallery outside the Britannia Restaurant, a place I cannot wait to use at sea!  There are no passenger guest cabins that low down in the ship.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #38 on: Oct 15, 2010, 12:29 PM »
Durn it.... so what are the lowest level cabins on QM2 then?  And specifically, does anyone know the numbers of the handful of QM2 cabins that someone ( might have been Flagship? ) said do actually have portholes?  I'm guessing they'll be the closest available to the waterline?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #39 on: Oct 15, 2010, 02:08 PM »
I thought it was taken from the Golden Lion, as the chairs look leather.

Deck two is still several "stories" above sea level though.

e-ticketing, whats your thoughts

Started by cunardqueenBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 24
Views: 3721
Last post Jun 26, 2010, 05:07 PM
by RmsAquitania
Whats your first photo of QE2

Started by cunardqueenBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 32
Views: 8454
Last post Jun 03, 2015, 08:41 PM
by cunardqueen