Author Topic: What's she like? (QM2)  (Read 54142 times)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

What's she like? (QM2)
« on: Dec 14, 2009, 09:04 PM »
With QM2 the only true Liner sailing now. We are thinking of going on a cruise aboard her. Even though she isn't QE2 it will still be an experiance.

Whats she like? Is she better than the usual ships we see on the sea?
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2015, 08:41 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline mickey g

Re: Thinking of going on a cruise.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Whilst not our lady, QM2 is still a proper liner, I'm hopefully on her January eastbound crossing (subject to British Airways) and am looking forward to it.
Yacht Club lover

Offline andyh

Re: Thinking of going on a cruise.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2009, 05:01 PM »
Having been on her several times, yes she is a "True Liner" the only one left, and it is a great experience

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

Whats she like?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Has anyone else been on QM2? What is she like?
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2010, 02:34 PM by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 »

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
Re: Whats she like?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:07 PM »
I've been on a 5 day mini cruise to Hammburg on her and my thoughts are as follows:

I approached the cruise with some trepidation as I had a fond love of the QE2 and wasn't sure how I would like the younger sister.  Being honest the first day I was a little downbeat about the whole ship and cruise, she was too large, not intimate enough and certain elements of her layout didn't really work.

However on the second day I decided to take a more sensible approach to my holiday, she wasn't designed to and never will replace QE2 - yes QM2 has her faults but so then did the QE2 even after four decades of tweaking and changing.

In my opinion the bad points are the Kings court, the dumbing down of the resteraunt food quality and service (Pre-plated meals etc) and the sheer size of what the crew are having to deal with - again the theme is the intamate nature of some of the QE2's rooms and resteraunts is lost on QM2.

However if you want to travel in Cunard style on a liner then she is the only option, all I would say is if you are a QE" fan brace yourself, I didn't and then regretted the fact that I had 'mumped my gums' for the first day of my holiday!

Hope this helps

jdl

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2009, 10:24 PM »
Pre plated meals?!

I trust they do at least still retain formal black tie nights during each voyage?

And do the restaurants still have an extensive menu that includes steaks?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline andyh

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:35 PM »
I have been on her several times, and she is fantastic. No she is not another QE2, she is a larger and modern replacement, all the Cunard traditions continue, and as for the plated meals, they are no different to how they were served when we were on the QE2 last, including their quality.
I dont think her size is an issue as being about the same phisical size as a lot of modern cruise ships, the QM2 carries fewer passengers so the is never a feeling of being crouded
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009, 02:38 PM by andyh »

Offline andy liney

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:23 PM »
there is never a feeling of being crowded

Except in the Golden Lion when the quiz is on! ;-)

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:30 PM »
I have sailed on QM2 three times and the best way to describe her (in relation to QE2) is different. Go aboard with an open mind and don't compare, and you'll likely have a great time.
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2009, 02:38 AM by Chris »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline andyh

« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:00 PM »
Except in the Golden Lion when the quiz is on! ;-)

;D ;D ;D ;D  Thats true but the Karaoke soon cleared the tables  ;D ;D

Offline mickey g

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:59 PM »
I sailed on QM2 for the final eastbound tandem crossing with QE2. What a fantastic view we had. I was biased and anti QM2, an error, QM2 is most definitely a liner of the highest order and I am really looking forward to sailing on next weeks eastbound crossing at the start of her world cruise. I shall see the ghost of our lady in tandem with us  :'(
Yacht Club lover

Offline mickey g

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Having just returned from my second eastbound crossing on QM2 and not being influenced with QE2 in tandem I can honestly say that I consider her a very worthy successor to our lady. QM2 is a very fine ocean liner indeed.  :)
Yacht Club lover

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2010, 03:28 PM »
I have sailed on QM2 4 times since 2004.....as i said on my intro to you, I did compare her to QE2 on the first trip and in a few areas she did come up a bit short......When you had your afternoon tea in the Queens room on QE2, your tea and sandwiches, and cakes were served to you by the waiters in white gloves, etc......on QM2, that first year it was almost the same except the sandwiches and cakes were laid out on long tables on the dance floor and you had to get up and get them yourself....... oh the complaining from QE2 fans about that one....but the complaining worked. it wasn't long after that it was changed back to the QE2 style......we won that one!
After my 8 voyages on QE2, I felt I knew all the "nooks and crannies" on the ship.....after 4 voyages on QM2, I still get lost....but I 'm growing to love her almost as much as QE2..a couple of times on board I would run into some staff from QE2 and I would recognize them.. so she travels on with them.

Offline mickey g

« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:31 PM »
On my recent eastbound QM2 crossing I wore my "I love QE2" badge during the day. I got lots of favourable comments from quite a few of QE2's ex crew members on board and also made a couple of friends because of it.  ;)

On the down side there were a couple of comments from who I can only guess were new crew members that I should not be wearing it!!!! Their loss in not knowing the pleasures they missed  :(
Yacht Club lover

Offline Andy F

« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2010, 03:18 AM »
I agree with Chris and others that she is different. Different to what you may be used to that is. Despite her size and passenger capacity, the ship rarely feels crowded (unless when everyone's trying to get ashore at the same time, which is 'interesting' to say the least). Like most vessels, there are areas which perhaps do not work quite as well as they could; Kings Court could be better and when compared against QV's Lido, shows what could have been done (then again, maybe the lessons learnt from the former influenced the latter).  The Queens Room also doesn't really work for me.  Don't get me wrong as it's a fine enough room but being located so far aft, seems out of the way.   From purely a layout perspective, perhaps it might have been better to have swopped location with the Britannia Restaurant slightly forward.  There's also the quirky configuration of 3L Deck as it skirts around the Britannia Restaurant lower level but that's just my opinion. 

While not everyone's cup of tea admittedly, she's certainly impressive but as I’ve often said, do not try to compare her (or others for that matter), for you will inevitably be disappointed.  She is NOT QE2 but then again, nothing is nor can be but she has her own identity and character and that’s what sets her aside from others. Some will love her while others will not and that’s to be expected but the only way to find out is to give her a try and form your own opinion. 

Personally, I think she’s a fine ship and a more than worthy successor, upholding the fine traditions set by her illustrious predecessors and while it may take time, she will take her rightful place in Cunard’s long and proud history and not just for being (probably) the last of the great transatlantic liners. 
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

e-ticketing, whats your thoughts

Started by cunardqueenBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 24
Views: 5906
Last post Jun 26, 2010, 05:07 PM
by RmsAquitania
Whats your first photo of QE2

Started by cunardqueenBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 32
Views: 10237
Last post Jun 03, 2015, 08:41 PM