Author Topic: What's she like? (QM2)  (Read 41133 times)

Offline Jem

Re: Whats she like?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 17, 2010, 10:04 PM »
He is a travel agent for a well know cruise company, who in turn at one stage and please correct me if lm wrong, But Carnival lm sure have or had shares in that company.
I don't know what was happening on the ship but there must have been a split in 'The Space Time Continuum' ;D I had a WONDERFUL time. All the crew and passengers I came across were great. The only problem would have been at embarkation but I checked the AIS site and found QM2 was at QE2 Terminal as Artemis had taken her berth due to the bad weather. I rang Cunard and ended up telling them where she was docked. When we got to Southampton we were dropped off at QE2 Terminal and were on board with 15 minutes.......Where should I start posting my report of the trip, here or put it under a new heading on the QM2 section?

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #61 on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:50 AM »
Where should I start posting my report of the trip, here or put it under a new heading on the QM2 section?

I suggest you start a new topic, which could be "Reviews of QM2 voyages".

Offline Jem

« Reply #62 on: Nov 18, 2010, 02:46 PM »
I suggest you start a new topic, which could be "Reviews of QM2 voyages".
Thanks Isabelle, that's what I'll do :)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #63 on: Nov 18, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Thanks Isabelle, that's what I'll do :)

Thank you, Jem.
It'll be good to hear your experience
And how it was to be back at sea :)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Twynkle

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #65 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:23 PM »
I am considering of going on Queen Mary 2. Perhaps it would be a good idea if I tried a short voyage first and see if I can get use to the ship.

Offline Jem

« Reply #66 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:41 PM »
I am considering of going on Queen Mary 2. Perhaps it would be a good idea if I tried a short voyage first and see if I can get use to the ship.
That's just what I did and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. :)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #67 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:17 AM »
A panoramic view of Queen Mary 2 arriving in New York
by a Danish photographer posted by CunardQueens on facebook

'New York Skyline view from Queen Mary 2 - NYC 360 degree
Panoramic Photos Panoramiques
http://www.panoramas.dk/US/new-york-waterfront.html

www.panoramas.dk
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2011, 12:19 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #68 on: Dec 27, 2011, 06:36 PM »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #69 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:06 PM »
Take a look now!
Queen Mary 2 will still be visible on this LIVE webcam view as she sails out of Red Hook, New York Harbour later this evening!
She's due to sail at 17.00 hrs Eastern Seaboard Time,
equivant to 22.00hrs UTC (GMT)

www.nyharborwebcam.com

bobso

« Reply #70 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:23 PM »
On post 67 rosie writes--'New York Skyline view from Queen Mary 2 - NYC 360 degree
Panoramic Photos Panoramiques
http://www.panoramas.dk/US/new-york-waterfront.html

When you turn the view round --look at the foredeck you will see 5 square "boxes" on the deck. These are small spotlights. Has anyone got photo's of these spotlights when lit?--and if so what colours are they?

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #71 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:35 PM »
bobso - from memory, I'm fairly certain they were mainly lit with 'white' lamps with possibly a blueish one or two as well.
Although they may look small - they throw out a considerable amount of light, and it's reflected off her fwd superstructure.
These together with wheelhouse lights, were never, ever lit after sunset while she's sailing.
The moon often does a great job! 
However her funnel, port and stbd lamps, Deck 7 and balcony lights, (when left on by occupants)
with some lighting on Deck 8 aft, all these will be well lit.
However,for obvious reasons, in some areas of the world, she may sail without lights visible, anywhere on the ship.
Rosie

Offline Andy F

« Reply #72 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:27 PM »
When you turn the view round --look at the foredeck you will see 5 square "boxes" on the deck. These are small spotlights. Has anyone got photo's of these spotlights when lit?--and if so what colours are they?
May take me a while to track them down but likely I have shots of the fwd floodlights somewhere.

As to Rosie's point re sailing without lights, the only time a total blackout state would be permitted would be during war operations (e.g. as QE2 did en route to the Falklands).  That aside, as a bare minimum all vessels are required to display certain navigation lights in compliance with Colregs (the internation regs preventing collisions at sea). 
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #73 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:00 PM »
May take me a while to track them down but likely I have shots of the fwd floodlights somewhere.

As to Rosie's point re sailing without lights, the only time a total blackout state would be permitted would be during war operations (e.g. as QE2 did en route to the Falklands).  That aside, as a bare minimum all vessels are required to display certain navigation lights in compliance with Colregs (the internation regs preventing collisions at sea).  

It was very dark - even without 'total blackout'!
All non-essential lights were turned off on QE2 and QM2 for the lecturers to show passengers the stars!

At other times, there was also a compulsory curfew - it wasn't possible to go outside, so couldn't check what was left on!
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2012, 08:08 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Andy F

« Reply #74 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:36 PM »
Ah, I see where you are coming from now Rosie and agree the astronomy demos require much of the upper deck lighting to be extinguished, thus leaving the ship in a much darkened state, though will still have her mandatory nav lights burning.

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2012, 12:00 AM by Andy F »

Offline Andy F

« Reply #75 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:58 PM »
I know I have better ones but without ploughing through my collection, here's a couple readily to hand Bob, which gives a good indication of the overall external lighting and the fwd spotlights.  Slightly grainy admittedly but in fairness, it was shot on a very long zoom as she was berthed right down the far end of the docks and if I correctly recall, was taken just around 6am on a freezing autumnal morning! 

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #76 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:27 AM »
Hi Andy -no worries about the distance, your photos are great, and are quite different in one way to how she was looking this evening.
Having just watched her sail out of NY harbour, and under the Verrazzano Bridge (!) at pretty close quarters to the harbour live webcam - she was extremely well lit, it was easy to identify all the public rooms, even those inside her fwd superstructure.
The lights inside the Library (Deck 8 ), The Commodore Club (Deck 9), and Grand Suites (Deck 10) were well 'on' inside the windows.
However the bridge was dark, as were the floodlights on her foredeck - the white 'bit' on the outside fwd, looked quite dark.
Hopefully, images 'to follow'.
Happy New Year to you!
Rosie
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2012, 12:30 AM by Twynkle »

bobso

« Reply #77 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:19 AM »
Thanks to Rosie and Andy F for your reply to my earlier post regarding the colours of the spotlamps on the foredeck of the QM2. also for the input of the lighting of the funnel, port and stbd lamps, Deck 7 and balcony lights, and some lighting on Deck 8 aft. The reason i am asking is that i have another Revell kit of the QM2 to build and i am wanting to include the spotlamps to light up the Bridge etc. I also have another electronic "Whistle" that i had custom made with the sound of the QM2 whistle. All this i am hoping to do providing the good Lord gives me the time needed to do it all as my health these days is not too good.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #78 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:31 PM »
There'll be more pictures of Mighty Mary as she sailed out last evening, We are Cunard will be publishing them.
(It's actually quite rare that she can be seen sailing towards the camera after dark!
The next time on the NY cam will probably be next Autumn /Winter!)
 - bobso, can you access this link to facebook here? There are shots at 6.00 and 6.04pm that demonstrate almost exactly what I was trying to explain!
Rosie

https://www.facebook.com/WeAreCunard
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2012, 01:02 PM by Twynkle »

bobso

« Reply #79 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Rosie, yes i am a member of Facebook and i can indeed access the pictures you described. Thanks for your help.

e-ticketing, whats your thoughts

Started by cunardqueenBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 24
Views: 3670
Last post Jun 26, 2010, 05:07 PM
by RmsAquitania
Whats your first photo of QE2

Started by cunardqueenBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 32
Views: 8445
Last post Jun 03, 2015, 08:41 PM
by cunardqueen