Author Topic: What's she like? (QM2)  (Read 41132 times)

Offline QE2 Canuck

Re: Whats she like?
« Reply #40 on: Oct 15, 2010, 04:55 PM »
Hi guys..... that picture is of the corridor on Deck 3L that runs along side the Royal Court Theatre from the Grand Lobby area up to Illuminations on port side.... this is the games area..... on the opposite side (starboard)  there is an identical corridor with just chairs sitting beside the windows to watch the sea racing by.

The staterooms start on Deck 4 and there are staterooms with portholes up in the bow area, mainly Decks 4,5 & 6.

The other deck 3L is at the stern running alongside both sides of the Britannia restaurant, the one on the port side is Images, where the photographs taken on board are displayed and on the starboard side in the Art Gallery.

Hope this helps.

QE2 Canuck  (Linda C)

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #41 on: Oct 15, 2010, 04:56 PM »
I missed the seats in the darkness there so I think you're correct Chris.  Either way, that must have been a fun crossing!

Regarding the rooms with portholes, I know some cabins up near the bow have porthole like windows, but they do not open, nor do they have deadlites like the lower windows on QE2.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #42 on: Oct 16, 2010, 05:58 AM »
True, the forward cabins on deck 4 and 5 have large round windows / portholes.

The entertainment cabins "ED" rooms have these also.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #43 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:52 AM »
A photo out of my QM2 porthole here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chriscunard/5092858434/

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #44 on: Oct 19, 2010, 12:23 AM »
Very reassuring to see that, Chris. And yet... no deadlight, and it looks a bit like a round window, doesn't it?

... or indeed a photograph cropped round :)

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #45 on: Oct 19, 2010, 10:06 AM »
It's very different to QE2.

The white area is actually metal running from the glass window to the outside of the ship. The cabin wall is probably about 1ft in from the side. Whereas on QE2 the forward rooms had angled walls, QM2's are straight. The corridors at the front of Deck 4 and 5 zig zag to allow standard sized cabins. This is all forward of the A Stairway so most passengers don't see it.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #46 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:53 PM »
 'Whats she like?'
Here's Ted Scull's account of his Westbound TA crossing
http://www.worldshipny.com/qm2blogSept2010.shtml
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #47 on: Nov 11, 2010, 08:08 AM »
That is an EXCELLENT piece from Jarrow focusing on Engineering.  The word has lost much of its true meaning in the UK and my parents always had an uphill battle when explaining to people that my Dad was an engineer - and that that did not mean he reapired cars.  Washing machine engineers, for example, are not Engineers, unless they are designing the thing in the first place!    I believe the problem is the root of the word in English, is like 'Engine' which isn't very exciting, but in many other languages it is more like 'ingenious'.  In other countries, and to those who understand in this country, engineers are right up there with the respected professions like doctors, lawyers and teachers.

About young engineers, Stephen Payne and QM2
From the BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/hampshire/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9170000/9170128.stm
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #48 on: Nov 11, 2010, 09:28 AM »
I attended a lecture given by Stephen Payne in Glasgow and I seem to remember him saying that there was a lot of QE2 design features on the QM2. He particularly mentioned the stairwells where liike the QE2 it is best to know which stairwells to use to go to particular parts of the ship.  Although the lecture was about the QE2 it was interesting to hear him talk about QM2. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #49 on: Nov 14, 2010, 09:39 AM »
A report on the recent 2 night trip to Cherbourg, followed by comments.
http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/cunard-cruises/queen-mary-2/read_review_26045/

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #50 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:08 PM »
It is unfortunate that these passengers had such a bad embarkation experience. There can be problems at Southampton from time to time with poor organisation from staff which I can testify to from experience and hopefully Cunard take note of the complaints they receive regarding this and take action.   

But how sad that they found the cruise was not up to Cunard's usual standards and that is really worrying.  I have only sailed on QM2 once but was most impressed both with the ship and the staff and would hate to think that standards were falling.   

I can relate to some of the complaints in this review such as the "Kings Court" restaurant shutting down the food stalls when people were still coming onboard after a harrowing embarkation process.   I do not like the King Court set up with the separate units for different types of food.  As a vegetarian I quite often like to take different vegetarian choices from each food stall but this can prove to be difficult as you have to queue at each one. 

I had also forgotten about the terrible practice of selling cheap goods in the passageway in the public area but some people must like to buy these goods or this practice would not continue. 

I see they have booked for QE next year so it could not have been all bad. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #51 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:20 PM »
  But how sad that they found the cruise was not up to Cunard's usual standards and that is really worrying.  I have only sailed on QM2 once but was most impressed both with the ship and the staff and would hate to think that standards were falling.   

I think to be fair Lynda anyone who has done these short one,two or three night taster cruises will tell you the service and general onboard feeling is nothing like a normal cruise, Iv been lucky to do all three lengths of these party trips, and quite frankly your not getting the normal passsenger mix on these trips,Cunard cant even get the dress codes correct.
And you can see at checkin exactly what types are going, heck l even saw a hen party one trip.
 Ok they are a nice fun thing to do if you dont take them seriously, but those poor devils who go on the hope they can see the full Cunard white star service in all its glory, are in for a surprise.
 The attitude of my stewardess very quickly changed when she realised l had sailed a number of times before and this wasnt my first trip. 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #52 on: Nov 14, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Good point Myles about the length of the cruise not giving the passengers the time to see extent of the service that can be offered. 

The QM2 will see model passengers on the October 2011 mini cruise when we have the QE2 story forum members onboard. 
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #53 on: Nov 14, 2010, 06:50 PM »
The 2 nighter that i went on on QE2 in December 2007 was fabulous.  I thought hte atmosphere on board was fine - the only place that was a bit rowdy was the yacht club, which was jumping, and in contributed - it was just wonderful - and i'd have done it again, over and over, if i could.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #54 on: Nov 14, 2010, 06:53 PM »
The 2 nighter that i went on on QE2 in December 2007 was fabulous.  I thought hte atmosphere on board was fine - the only place that was a bit rowdy was the yacht club, which was jumping, and in contributed - it was just wonderful - and i'd have done it again, over and over, if i could.

Lucky you, Rob!!
What I wouldn't give to look 'forward to' - even, to a 'jumping night' in the Yacht Club!

It is unfortunate that these passengers had such a bad embarkation experience....

...But how sad that they found the cruise was not up to Cunard's usual standards and that is really worrying.  I have only sailed on QM2 once but was most impressed both with the ship and the staff and would hate to think that standards were falling.   

....I see they have booked for QE next year so it could not have been all bad. 
The report was weighted in regard of difficulties with the embarkation process; it sounds from friends on board QE as if these arose from several factors, including the weather conditions.  It's a shame that the passengers report includes so little that they found to their satisfaction - a helpful review usually includes a fair assessment, with both the plus points as well as the minuses!
There may be some truth in the fact that several of the staff were due to be moved to train the new staff on QE, however those left behind would all have been assessed and 'qualified' to work on the Mary. If the overall passengers appraisals weren't up to scratch,  hopefully it'll be sorted by Jan 13th, at the very latest!!
It'll be good to read Jem's report...
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2010, 07:00 PM by Twynkle »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #55 on: Nov 14, 2010, 07:47 PM »
There is also a report on the 2 nighter from a very regular Cunarder as well, it features on cruisecritic
I do remember on the one night trip l  did several years ago on QE2. It was clearly advertised with the dress code as informal, Fair enough the laws of the sea dictated that a) sailing night was informal, b) the night prior to landing was informal so it was going to be informal. Then Cunard at the last minute sent out letters advising that it was changed to formal.
 Speaking with one member of the crew she hated these short trips, if only for the fact the tips were next to nothing. l remember the yacht club was very busy and being served drinks in warm glasses...
 And lets not forget of course the World club benefits dont apply on voyages of 5 days or less ::) only the priority checkin, and then you risk the wrath of passengers as you glide past them  ;)

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #56 on: Nov 14, 2010, 07:59 PM »
Hi All,

I was on this one and it wasn't good, not good at all...in fact the first thing we did when we got off was to call Cunard to cancel our 5 Jan TA on the QE...we just lost confidence that it would be any good.

The overriding impression we got was that the staff had lost confidence and somehow resented the passengers, maybe as so many had been transferred to QE?  We are on QV next month but are not really looking forward to it.

Sad to say but after 5 QE2 trips, 6 on QM2 and 1 on QV we prefer Celebrity these days, they have nailed the whole thing and the loss of faux heritage is not missed, especially when you are at their buzzing, ice topped Martini bar...it's the future, not the past.

Alex.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #57 on: Nov 14, 2010, 10:10 PM »
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #58 on: Nov 17, 2010, 07:31 PM »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #59 on: Nov 17, 2010, 07:59 PM »
   James Jetsam's review and photos onboard the QM2 give a flavour of the ship. 

He is a travel agent for a well know cruise company, who in turn at one stage and please correct me if lm wrong, But Carnival lm sure have or had shares in that company.

e-ticketing, whats your thoughts

Started by cunardqueenBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 24
Views: 3670
Last post Jun 26, 2010, 05:07 PM
by RmsAquitania
Whats your first photo of QE2

Started by cunardqueenBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 32
Views: 8445
Last post Jun 03, 2015, 08:41 PM
by cunardqueen