Author Topic: What's she like? (QM2)  (Read 41374 times)

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
Re: Whats she like?
« Reply #100 on: Sep 27, 2013, 07:42 AM »
Nice story!

Well done QM2! In true Cunard elegance and style.
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2013, 07:53 AM by QE2forever »

Online Twynkle

« Reply #101 on: Sep 27, 2013, 08:25 AM »
Nice story!

Well done QM2! In true Cunard elegance and style.

It is, isn't it?!
Typical too. Wakes up memories of our unofficial call at Tristan de Cunha (2011), when not only did she fly her RMS flag along with RMS St Helena (lots of whistling too!), she also gave a bundle of goodies to the tiny unofficial port authority boat that came out from Edinburgh to take a look at the mightiness of QM2. Packages were exchanged, Captain Wright let slip later in the day that amongst other things the lobster supply had come in handy!
And on our arrival in NZ waters, in respect of the dreadful Earthquake that had occurred 24 hrs before -
QM2 was able to supply dozens of bottles of water - this was sent post haste to Christchurch. I'm unsure as to what was given to Nagasaki as we circled off the morning after the tsunami at Fukushima...
Hopefully something was given in the same spirit as before...maybe Mr Flagship knows more.
And exactly this time last year - the ship sailed a long way out of her way whilst setting out east from the St Lawrence Estuary - when a much loved crew member had become extremely unwell - we delivered him to inshore waters where was transferred to a lifeboat before taking a flight to hospital.
RMS Queen Mary 2 to the rescue once again.
There must be hundreds of similar stories where QE2 'didn't wait to be asked' either!
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #102 on: Sep 27, 2013, 09:37 AM »
Heres one for you Rosie! Maybe not in quite the same vain.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,5648.0.html

Gav

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
« Reply #103 on: Sep 27, 2013, 09:48 AM »
Mighty Mary to the rescue...5* hotel style!
Cunard Line's flagship Queen Mary 2 lent a helping hand to a Canadian solo woman rower, Mylène Paquette, in the mid Atlantic today. Queen Mary 2, which left New York on Sunday for Southampton, received a request to assist yesterday and prepared a package of items to help.

« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2013, 11:09 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #104 on: Sep 27, 2013, 04:03 PM »
These stories to me are the clearest sign that QM2 really is QE2's replacement.

The stories of the massive and mighty QE2 going to the rescue (in the days when there was nothing more massive) have been passed on to the very mighty Mary.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #105 on: Sep 27, 2013, 07:04 PM »

Yes, Rob, I have felt all along that QM2 is QE2's replacement.  I enjoy travelling on her, I feel safe on her. And these are the same feelings I had on my 8 voyages on my beloved QE2.   

I was on QM2 heading across from New York to Southampton in August 2010 with Captain Nick Bates when we met up with the 3 Artemis rowers about half way across... what a sight that was for them and for us. This latest good deed by Mighty Mary brought back all those memories.   

If I can't have QE2, then give me Queen Mary 2 !!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #106 on: Oct 01, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Yes, Rob, I have felt all along that QM2 is QE2's replacement.  I enjoy travelling on her, I feel safe on her. And these are the same feelings I had on my 8 voyages on my beloved QE2.   

I was on QM2 heading across from New York to Southampton in August 2010 with Captain Nick Bates when we met up with the 3 Artemis rowers about half way across... what a sight that was for them and for us. This latest good deed by Mighty Mary brought back all those memories.   

If I can't have QE2, then give me Queen Mary 2 !!

Agreed! Was never on QE2 unfortunately but glad I have managed four sailings on her worthy successor!! Although the chances of doing another transatlantic are getting slimmer and slimmer as long as they keep adding days onto the schedule!!
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2013, 08:11 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #107 on: Oct 01, 2013, 07:06 PM »

I don't mind the length of the transatlantic on QM2.  When I did my first Transatlantic on QE2 in 1996, it was a 5 day run.  My husband called it a "gallop across the pond"... The next time we went, it had become 6 days.   The last time I did a transatlantic was on QM2 in August 2010 and it was a 7 day voyage.   Don't mind it at all !!  Sometimes the ship is my destination and the longer I can stay on her the better I like it.  If I want to get somewhere quickly, I'll fly "yuk".

QE2 Canuck        Linda Crooks

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #108 on: Oct 02, 2013, 12:59 PM »
I don't mind the length of the transatlantic on QM2.  When I did my first Transatlantic on QE2 in 1996, it was a 5 day run.  My husband called it a "gallop across the pond"... The next time we went, it had become 6 days.   The last time I did a transatlantic was on QM2 in August 2010 and it was a 7 day voyage.   Don't mind it at all !!  Sometimes the ship is my destination and the longer I can stay on her the better I like it.  If I want to get somewhere quickly, I'll fly "yuk".

QE2 Canuck        Linda Crooks

I'm the same but I can only take a certain amount of leave from work at the one go.

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
« Reply #109 on: Oct 02, 2013, 04:30 PM »
These stories to me are the clearest sign that QM2 really is QE2's replacement.

The stories of the massive and mighty QE2 going to the rescue (in the days when there was nothing more massive) have been passed on to the very mighty Mary.

More about the solo woman rower Mylene Paquette being helped by QM2 in mid-Atlantic:

She wrote a very nice letter to Capt. Oprey and her wife via her blog: http://www.mylenepaquette.com/en/blog/

And if you scroll down below the letter there is the transcript of the CBC interview Captain Oprey of QM2 and Mylène Paquette
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2013, 04:33 PM by QE2forever »

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #110 on: Oct 14, 2013, 03:50 PM »
We are planning a crossing on QM2 and are looking forward to it. She truly is QE2's replacement and the last true liner. I regret never getting to sail on QE2 though. They have so much in common as liners but are so different. I missed the chance to sail on QE2.
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
« Reply #111 on: Oct 28, 2013, 07:24 AM »

Online Twynkle

« Reply #112 on: Oct 28, 2013, 07:52 AM »
The Port of Québec acknowledges the generosity of Queen Mary 2:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/10119-the-port-of-quebec-acknowledges-the-generosity-of-the-queen-mary-2.html

Thank you for posting - This is Interesting!
Last year, same time - same place - Quebec required QM2 to park a significant way out of Town - alongside a building site. The Town terminal where QE2 always parked was full of white passenger ships!
The experience was un peu demeaning to the becoming 'Grand Old Lady' - aka the Mighty One.
Rosie
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2013, 08:10 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #113 on: Mar 24, 2014, 10:28 PM »
I have only travelled on the QM2 once on a cruise to Norway. I remember what a wonderful experience as we sailed up Geiranger Fjord where it felt as if she was dwarfed  by the walls of fjord.  We have some fantastic photos that show how magnificent she looks. 

The decor of the QM2 was most impressive throughout the ship.  The areas that I was not so keen on was the Kings Court casual dining restaurant where the design of this restuarant did not give every seat a view, which I thought was a mistake.  I also did not like the theatre because a lot of the seats had restricted views, not good design and the Garden room which I thought could have been put to better use. 

I would love to sail on the QM2 again she is a lovely ship and to do a transatlantic crossing on her would be ideal because of her size you would not get bored exploring the ship.

I've heard there are some scuffles for the Kings Court window seats.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
Upcoming QM2 Transatlantic Crossing
« Reply #114 on: Apr 01, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Well, I've finally gone and booked a QM2 crossing with my family and I am really excited. I was just wondering if anybody had any tips about anything.
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2014, 04:16 PM by Hank Hargrove »

Offline tdickson

Re: Upcoming QM2 Transatlantic Crossing
« Reply #115 on: Apr 04, 2014, 12:19 PM »
What would you like to know about ?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #116 on: Apr 04, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Thanks for letting us know Hank that you have booked a transatlantic crossing onboard QM2, which I am sure you will enjoy. 

I have travelled on QM2 a few times but only done the transatlantic crossing on QE2 and it was very special.  There are things I like and dislike about QM2 but their is no doubt that she is a beautiful ship and from the moment you step onboard you get the wow factor. 

You may want to have a look at the "QM2 What's she like" topic where other members have shared their thoughts of the ship. 
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1357.0.html
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #117 on: Apr 04, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Thanks for letting us know Hank that you have booked a transatlantic crossing onboard QM2, which I am sure you will enjoy. 

I have travelled on QM2 a few times but only done the transatlantic crossing on QE2 and it was very special.  There are things I like and dislike about QM2 but their is no doubt that she is a beautiful ship and from the moment you step onboard you get the wow factor. 

You may want to have a look at the "QM2 What's she like" topic where other members have shared their thoughts of the ship. 
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1357.0.html

Thank you!

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #118 on: Apr 04, 2014, 05:14 PM »
What would you like to know about ?

The service? It's kind of new to me.

Offline tdickson

« Reply #119 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:08 PM »
We originally went on QM2 in her inaugural season 2004, Maiden Med Cruise and she was beautiful & back then NEW. Since which she has had several refits and still is Amazing, having travelled on her a total of a dozen times, number 13 is only a month away, so that said it should tell you we never can get enough of Queen Mary 2, she is a wonderful experience. To be totally honest, I don't think the service is as good as ten years ago, however the prices are somewhat lower these days, but still better than most of her competition, it will take the whole of your voyage to experience all she has to offer. My personnel favourite Areas are (in no particular order) Commodore Club, Golden Lion Pub, Terrace Pool Bar, & G32 after dark, as well as her promenade deck (Deck 7). I am sure you will have a wonderful time and if like us you will book another voyage before you even finish your first one. Bon Voyage

e-ticketing, whats your thoughts

Started by cunardqueenBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 24
Views: 3721
Last post Jun 26, 2010, 05:07 PM
by RmsAquitania
Whats your first photo of QE2

Started by cunardqueenBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 32
Views: 8454
Last post Jun 03, 2015, 08:41 PM
by cunardqueen