Author Topic: The Elizabeths did meet  (Read 7491 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

The Elizabeths did meet
« on: Dec 10, 2009, 01:49 PM »
I've done some further research into this and Queen Elizabeth and QE2 did meet - if only we had photos!

After leaving Cunard service Queen Elizabeth arrived in Port Everglades on 7 December 1968 and remained there until 8 May 1971. In that time QE2 did not call at Port Everglades – her maiden call there did not take place until 21 December 1971.

However, QE2 did meet Queen Elizabeth on at least one occasion: in Aruba on 17 March 1971.

QE2 had left New York on 13 March on a 14-day cruise to the Caribbean. Cunard Company Secretary Frank Leach reported on the meeting:

“...mixed feelings all round but our exchange of farewells on leaving was painfully moving”.

Commodore Marr on Queen Elizabeth reported to Commodore Warwick on QE2 that he still had the original John Brown test model of QE2 in his care. Where is that model now?

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: The Elizabeths did meet
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:10 PM »
I'd guess there must be pictures available, although they could well be in private collections - either crew, passengers or local residents in Aruba.

It occurs to me that there is a high chance there may be something in the Aruban newspaper archives for the time?

Edited to add:  I've found a possible source of images already, and have contacted them.  Flagship - have sent you details by e-mail...
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2009, 02:31 PM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:11 PM »
Can you imagine if photos did exist!!! They would be well worth viewing....
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:36 PM »
I looked at the place on Google Maps; the port is really small - they would have had to have been moored practically next to each other.

As soon as I get a response from my lead, I'll pass the details on to Flagship.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:52 AM »
QE never moored in the harbor.  She was well offshore at anchor while they did the retubing job on the boilers, with all of the supplies and workers ferried out to her.  Commodore Marr's book has a detailed account of the incident.

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:40 PM »
What a find - well done Michael, fingers cross the pictures can be located and approved for publication.

john

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:07 AM »
Great research Michael! As you say, if only we had photographs!

I suppose Elizabeth 2 and Elizabeth 3 will meet during the '11 WC - March 31 (Dubai, United Arab Emirates - Overnight)

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2010, 08:34 AM »
Commodore Marr's statement about the test model is interesting as it has always been believed that the original test models of QM, QE and QE2 were built up and these are the ones on display in Glasgow's Transport Museum.
Paul Strathdee

Online Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2010, 05:04 PM »
QE2 signals to Queen Elizabeth - November 28th 1968, as Queen Elizabeth departs Southampton for the final time.
From The Queens and I. p173
Commodore Captain Geoffrey Marr writes:
"Then as we were making our way down-Channel at about 18.00hrs that evening, the Carmania, returning home from a Mediterranian cruise, came close alongside and saluted us.  We also had a signal from the new Queen Elizabeth ll doing her trials off the Isle of Arran, wishing us success in our new role, which made some of us smile wryly.

As we settled down to make the best of our ghost ship voyage, none of us felt very cheerful: it had been a dismal departure for a ship that had given such long and valuable service...many people felt that day that the Queen Elizabeth was quietly being swept under the carpet...."

[To be continued - the following chapter is about her stay outside Aruba etc. I have yet to read further; this is a very good book!]

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2010, 05:06 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Jem

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2010, 05:26 PM »
That was really interesting to read! Thanks Rosie :)

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2010, 09:19 AM »
Great little find Rosie, 

In all the emotion of the send off's we passengers give these ships it is often easy to forget the stronger bond that the crew have with their ship

jdl

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:26 AM »
I bet there were very mixed emotions on both ships, even more when Queen Elizabeth met her ultimate grisly fate. IF she had been converted to SEAWISE University, she would possibly have come to Auckland in that guise, and I could possibly hae seen her.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:00 PM »
I have heard back from the Aruba tourist people; no pictures have turned up yet but the search continues.

Flagship - I have passed on to you their full reply with more details than this, and my immediate response.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2011, 09:34 AM »
QE2 signals to Queen Elizabeth - November 28th 1968, as Queen Elizabeth departs Southampton for the final time.
From The Queens and I. p173
Commodore Captain Geoffrey Marr writes:
"Then as we were making our way down-Channel at about 18.00hrs that evening, the Carmania, returning home from a Mediterranian cruise, came close alongside and saluted us.  We also had a signal from the new Queen Elizabeth ll doing her trials off the Isle of Arran, wishing us success in our new role, which made some of us smile wryly.

As we settled down to make the best of our ghost ship voyage, none of us felt very cheerful: it had been a dismal departure for a ship that had given such long and valuable service...many people felt that day that the Queen Elizabeth was quietly being swept under the carpet...."
[To be continued - the following chapter is about her stay outside Aruba etc. I have yet to read further; this is a very good book!]

Rosie this must have been a sad voyage for the crew on the ship and the statement shows the feeling that were felt for Queen Elizabeth at that time.  Now all these years later QE2 crew must have had similar feelings as they sailed for Dubai.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2011, 12:13 PM »
QE2's last voyage and departure from Southampton is chronicled at the below link.  The article has the exact same tone as described in the above post.

http://www.worldshipny.com/QE2finalBlog.shtml

Offline sotonsean

• QE2 Crew member
  • Pavillion Snacker
  • A picture taken in 1984
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:36 AM »
Well I guess this is closest we can too although it's obviously not for real!
I joined QE2 in September 1983 as an assistant waiter becoming a full time waiter in the Columbia Restaurant in October 1983.
In June 1984 I became a petter officer in the Accounts/Pursers Office. I left QE2 in April 1987 to work on the cross channel ferries untill October 1998 as Dep Purser.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2015, 05:52 AM »
I've done some further research into this and Queen Elizabeth and QE2 did meet - if only we had photos!

After leaving Cunard service Queen Elizabeth arrived in Port Everglades on 7 December 1968 and remained there until 8 May 1971. In that time QE2 did not call at Port Everglades – her maiden call there did not take place until 21 December 1971.

However, QE2 did meet Queen Elizabeth on at least one occasion: in Aruba on 17 March 1971.

QE2 had left New York on 13 March on a 14-day cruise to the Caribbean. Cunard Company Secretary Frank Leach reported on the meeting:

“...mixed feelings all round but our exchange of farewells on leaving was painfully moving”.

Commodore Marr on Queen Elizabeth reported to Commodore Warwick on QE2 that he still had the original John Brown test model of QE2 in his care. Where is that model now?

Hello Michael,
Have you found the test model yet?
Please do you know any other / further details (yet?!) - eg date and state of same?
I've got just a very few spies...
Rosie
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2015, 12:19 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Hi Rosie -

Thanks for your post.  Do you by any chance have Commodore Marr's book handy ?  There is a reference in there of another "greeting" and if I am remembering correctly, QE could not respond to QE2's greeting because of a problem with her whistle.

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

trevorc

« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:29 PM »
There has to be pictures.

kevinh

« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:01 PM »
I learned this in my Cunard 's 175 Years book. I can only imagine how moving this must've been. In fact, I'll mention this in my next QE2 mini-series episode!

But I'm surprised there's no pictures...

"Meet the Captain" photo gallery

Started by WaverleyBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 49
Views: 25606
Last post Jul 03, 2018, 10:17 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Nice to meet all you QE2 fans

Started by QE2postcardsBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 1
Views: 1011
Last post Mar 27, 2010, 01:08 AM
by Matt
East Coast TQS Meet Up for drinks after the fireworks

Started by Scott EbersoldBoard Past Events

Replies: 24
Views: 5680
Last post Jan 28, 2011, 04:33 PM
by Twynkle
"Meet me on the QE2" by Catherine Lim

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 8
Views: 2247
Last post Nov 28, 2009, 07:26 PM
by Avariel
Elizabeth - Meet fellow members on board a future cruise

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 7
Views: 2066
Last post Oct 09, 2010, 01:14 AM
by highlander0108