Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: A QE2 Christmas  (Read 11835 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: A QE2 Christmas
« Reply #40 on: Dec 21, 2016, 09:41 AM »
I wonder if someone will put a Christmas Tree on her this year?  :) I hope they do!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Roseanne Priest, singer, sent us a Tweet posting a Video of her singing on QE2's final Christmas at sea.

This is the tweet - https://twitter.com/RosannePriest/status/949607279673925633

This is the video -

Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Roseanne Priest, singer, sent us a Tweet posting a Video of her singing on QE2's final Christmas at sea.

This is the tweet - https://twitter.com/RosannePriest/status/949607279673925633

This is the video -

Familiar costumes and even more familiar location onboard!
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Just exactly how are they going to celebrate a QE2 Christmas, it's all gone, history & all that
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018, 07:36 PM by pete cain »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:55 PM »

That was very good of Roseanne -- and a great memory for her to share!

I often wonder about the QE2 lives of the singers, dancers and performers. This show was obviously well rehearsed and staged -- it would be great to record some more memories of those wonderful actors, dancers, musicians and singers, what it was like to exercise their profession on board, mixing and mingling with their audience day by day and of course enjoying a period on the ship.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #45 on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Hi Rob,

Just been looking at your superb record / Timeline of QE2 in Dubai.
Might it be possible to add something about The addition of the Christmas Tree, as well as the subtraction of the Builders Plate, bust of HM the Queen, the standard, the Asprey ship and her great bell?
( hoping this list is context!!)
Is there a record of the last time QE2 used her whistle?
I definitely recorded it in 2011,  and it would be interesting to know when it was last active...

Happy New Year
R.
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Dec 27, 2019, 02:16 PM »
I've just added some of my photos of QE2 looking festive in December 2007 to the gallery.  Do you have any?  The link below opens all photos in the gallery tagged with the keyword of Christmas.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=search&keywords=on&search=Christmas

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2019, 02:43 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline pete cain

« Reply #47 on: Dec 27, 2019, 07:56 PM »
Christmas on QE2  WIN WIN, just so wished I'd been there.......

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #48 on: Dec 28, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Awesome pics !  Thanks, Rob, for posting and bringing back "The Good Old Days" !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #49 on: Jan 06, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Heres a Christmas Dinner in the Wardroom - suspects include, John Pullinger, David Holroyd, Bob Venning, Paddy Hanvey, Wendy Lister,Eve Tytherleigh, myself , Julia James, Norman Smart, Jeff Jeffries, and a nurse in pink who was, possibly, Sue (Miller?)
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2020, 12:22 PM by Willum »
Willum

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #50 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:32 PM »
Thanks Willum - Brilliant to have the memory of a Christmas past captured in a photo.  I see the menu with Santa on the cover.  Did you keep the menu as a souvenir?

What year was the picture taken?

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #51 on: Jan 06, 2020, 02:07 PM »
Great shots - the ones of the pax spaces look very cosy and welcoming.

Wardroom shots like that are just priceless Willum!!

Gav

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #52 on: Jan 07, 2020, 03:21 PM »
Not my favourite time onboard any ship, QE2 was no exception, it always seemed to be very false.

But i did try to make myself busy.

It always being a sea day, meant i could have a lie in and not go into the office until 0755! Read any emails/messages etc that had come in, speak to the night shift in case any old man in red, had tried to sneak down the funnel!
Then off for a leisurely breakfast and exchanging seasons greetings with the Staff Capt/Capt, if it was I McN.

Back to the office for a short while before returning to my cabin to change for Christmas Day Church, followed by 'holy communion' in the Staff Captain's Cabin!!!

Back to cabin, change and get down to crew mess to start a shift as pot washer attendant, best part of the whole day! Really!

I remember one year I McN, who was Capt at the time, came around to the pot wash and said that the Filipinos wouldn't let him collect their dirty plates! so he decided to come around and help out at the pot wash because they couldn't argue with him there!

After crew lunch, i used to return to my cabin and after a shower to clean away the sweat of over 2 hours in the pot wash, but i was by then very good at operating the dish washer! Shower over change into nice crisp shirt etc, get a mug of coffee from crew mess and sit down in my cabin to enjoy MY Christmas lunch!
Cold sausages, crisp sarnies, cold slices of turkey, more sausages, more crisp sarnies in fact anything remotely yellow/pastry!!!
Then sit down to open my family presents, which were small enough to carry in my bags. My wife always made small Christmas pud and Christmas cake for me, at the same time that she made the family ones. So i would then finish off my Christmas lunch with either/or, but more usually both!!!

That evening it was Wardy Christmas Dinner and then bed, ready for Boxing Day which usually was St Thomas and tendering, a long a very tiring day indeed.

Some years later, when on Sun Princess [post ethnic cleansing] we were in Grenada on Christmas Day, by then technology had advanced and i was able to stand on the jetty in front of the terminal and my family could see me live via the ship's web cam, albeit with a 30 second delay! They were directing me to move left or right, via my mobile! how life had changed in those few years.

Then later, when with P&O Australia, i found a different Christmas again, one where the passengers just get as pi**ed as possible, as soon as possible after waking up!!!

I have two lists in my 'memories box' one off where i've spent Christmas Days and the other where ive spent Remembrance Sundays, both very interesting!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #53 on: Jan 07, 2020, 03:55 PM »
I should also have said that any Christmas onboard has left me with a deep seated hatred of POINSETTIA, why is it that 'decorators' think that dumping a poinsettia on a surface amounts to a Christmas decoration?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #54 on: Jan 07, 2020, 09:48 PM »
Thanks Andy , I enjoyed your Christmas on QE2 memories.
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #55 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:54 AM »
Thanks Andy , I enjoyed your Christmas on QE2 memories.

Yes, a lovely post giving me a feeling of what it was like for you on board at Christmas. Thank you.

Christmas time activities on the SS Rotterdam

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard SS Rotterdam

Replies: 0
Views: 1698
Christmas and New Year on board QE2 Dubai

Started by cunardqueenBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 47
Views: 1549
QE2 Christmas Carols

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 13
Views: 2591
QE2 1979 christmas

Started by beaumontBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 6
Views: 2307
Christmas Day Incident- 1979 or 1980?

Started by TwynkleBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 8
Views: 1992
Queen Mary Christmas 2018

Started by cunardqueenBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 1
Views: 269